Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Boot from USB hard drive

Boot from USB hard drive

Paul Blarmy

I have ordered a USB enclosure caddy to take a spare hard drive. Is it
possible to use this USB caddy as a bootable device? Can't see an option
in the BIOS for this - I would like to boot up Linux from it on a
friends Windows PC as it would then demonstrate Linux much faster than
by using a LiveCD.

TIA

--
EMail address is disposable and never checked.
Registered Linux user #439066.

meerkat

"Paul Blarmy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I have ordered a USB enclosure caddy to take a spare hard drive. Is it
> possible to use this USB caddy as a bootable device? Can't see an option
> in the BIOS for this - I would like to boot up Linux from it on a
> friends Windows PC as it would then demonstrate Linux much faster than
> by using a LiveCD.

Only if the BIOS allows booting from a USB device.
I can boot from a USB stick, because my BIOS allows
for that.

bw..

Robb

Paul Blarmy wrote:

>I have ordered a USB enclosure caddy to take a spare hard drive. Is it
>possible to use this USB caddy as a bootable device? Can't see an option
>in the BIOS for this

Check for an LS/Zip option. I ran across a few BIOS's that booted from
a USB stick with it set.

>I would like to boot up Linux from it on a friends Windows PC as it would
>then demonstrate Linux much faster than by using a LiveCD.

If it's copying it to a ram-drive the OS runs in memory, wouldn't access
from a CD be faster than USB anything? I've had puppyOS running for a
while (24x7) no problems so far. It does everything I do in windows and
I like the remaster CD <or> save session to the hard-drive. Should stick
a webserver, ftp, or something on it to give it some work besides sitting
there playing DVD's. It is amazingly fast.

--
Robb