Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > XP Pro Orinnoco wireless loses WEP key on restart

XP Pro Orinnoco wireless loses WEP key on restart

Bill Sanderson

I've a neighbor with an older DELL Inspiron laptop with an Orinoco Gold
card in it.

He also has a current BOINGO client loaded.

At home, he connects to an Apple Airport in the next room. On some, but not
all reboots, this machine seems to completely lose track of the WEP key--or
maybe it just forgets about the connection completely--I'm not sure how to
distinguish.

I'm also not sure whether he's on SP2 or not. He may not be, because of
issues at work--this is basically a work machine which also comes home.

Any thoughts? He views this as an annoyance he can live with. I suspect,
for him, this just reinforces the view that Windows is a huge kludge, unlike
the Macs the rest of his family use.

I view it as a bug, which I'd like to get fixed.

Anton Krantz [MSFT]

Bill

This seems Boingo client-related, since the Boingo client disables wireless
zero config functionality. If he doesn't need the Boingo client for a
specific reason, he should try the following:
- Close or remove the Boingo client
- He should get a prompt that a wireless network is available or he can
choose to View Available Networks from the systray icon
- If he's using XP SP2, choose the network and click Connect. He will be
prompted for the WEP key. If he's using XP SP1 or XP RTM, he can enter the
WEP key in the same screen he chooses the available network before
connecting
Once he's done, wireless zero config will save the WEP key and he won't need
to enter it again

Thanks
Anton [MSFT]
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights

"Bill Sanderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've a neighbor with an older DELL Inspiron laptop with an Orinoco Gold
> card in it.
>
> He also has a current BOINGO client loaded.
>
> At home, he connects to an Apple Airport in the next room. On some, but
> not
> all reboots, this machine seems to completely lose track of the WEP
> key--or
> maybe it just forgets about the connection completely--I'm not sure how to
> distinguish.
>
> I'm also not sure whether he's on SP2 or not. He may not be, because of
> issues at work--this is basically a work machine which also comes home.
>
> Any thoughts? He views this as an annoyance he can live with. I suspect,
> for him, this just reinforces the view that Windows is a huge kludge,
> unlike
> the Macs the rest of his family use.
>
> I view it as a bug, which I'd like to get fixed.

Bill Sanderson

Thanks - I'll make this recommendation. I suspect he is using the Boingo
functionality, unfortunately.

news:efHk2Q$(E-Mail Removed)...