Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Linksys WRT54GX4 or 3COM 8760 ?

Linksys WRT54GX4 or 3COM 8760 ?

HotRdd

I'm setting up a few offices and need to push the wireless connection a good
distance, I've search for these answers but have yet to find them so I
thought that some people here might be able to help.

I think that 3com is the better product but I'm not sure it's worth three
times the money.

1) Can the WRT54GX be used as a repeater? the 3com 8760 can.

2) Can the 3com united be used as a basic wireless unit?

3) Will a regular SMA antenna fit on both? Will SMA fit R-SMA ?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
As is the WRT54GX4 can not be used as a Repeater. Take a look at the free
3rd party firmware (DD-WRT) it might enable it to work as a repeater,
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...D-WRT_Docu_(EN)
The 3com 8760 can work as a Main Wireless source. However you sholud be
aware that the device is an Access Point.
I.e you need to connect it to a Router that is connected to the Modem.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"HotRdd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm setting up a few offices and need to push the wireless connection a
> good distance, I've search for these answers but have yet to find them so
> I thought that some people here might be able to help.
>
> I think that 3com is the better product but I'm not sure it's worth three
> times the money.
>
> 1) Can the WRT54GX be used as a repeater? the 3com 8760 can.
>
> 2) Can the 3com united be used as a basic wireless unit?
>
> 3) Will a regular SMA antenna fit on both? Will SMA fit R-SMA ?

HotRdd

Any recommendations of what models I should look at for a good long distance
repeater? I'm looking for something that will capture the signle and boost
it.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> As is the WRT54GX4 can not be used as a Repeater. Take a look at the free
> 3rd party firmware (DD-WRT) it might enable it to work as a repeater,
> http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...D-WRT_Docu_(EN)
> The 3com 8760 can work as a Main Wireless source. However you sholud be
> aware that the device is an Access Point.
> I.e you need to connect it to a Router that is connected to the Modem.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "HotRdd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm setting up a few offices and need to push the wireless connection a
>> good distance, I've search for these answers but have yet to find them so
>> I thought that some people here might be able to help.
>>
>> I think that 3com is the better product but I'm not sure it's worth three
>> times the money.
>>
>> 1) Can the WRT54GX be used as a repeater? the 3com 8760 can.
>>
>> 2) Can the 3com united be used as a basic wireless unit?
>>
>> 3) Will a regular SMA antenna fit on both? Will SMA fit R-SMA ?

HotRdd

I have some of the hardware already but still have the chance to buy some
additional hardware. I already have some hi-gain antenna's that are TNC or
SMA to TNC compatible. And some Linksys WRT54G Wireless routers. I guess I
just don't understand how it all works together. Is it possible to connect
your wifi "notebook" to the wireless access point/bridge or will it just
recieve the signal and then you need an additional wireless router to
re-broadcast?

Do I need an Access Point/Bridge at point A (to Send) and B (to Recieve) or
just on at point B to recieve the signal?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

>> http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...D-WRT_Docu_(EN)
>> The 3com 8760 can work as a Main Wireless source. However you sholud be
>> aware that the device is an Access Point.
>> I.e you need to connect it to a Router that is connected to the Modem.
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "HotRdd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I'm setting up a few offices and need to push the wireless connection a
>>> good distance, I've search for these answers but have yet to find them
>>> so I thought that some people here might be able to help.
>>>
>>> I think that 3com is the better product but I'm not sure it's worth
>>> three times the money.
>>>
>>> 1) Can the WRT54GX be used as a repeater? the 3com 8760 can.
>>>
>>> 2) Can the 3com united be used as a basic wireless unit?
>>>
>>> 3) Will a regular SMA antenna fit on both? Will SMA fit R-SMA ?

Linksys WRT54GS and non-Linksys adapters Colin Wireless Networking 2 11-12-2006 05:47 PM
Problem with WRT54GX4 =?Utf-8?B?Y3JlYXRlX3NoYXJl?= Wireless Networking 1 09-03-2006 03:23 AM
linksys WRT54GX4 - questions Boe Cisco 2 04-23-2006 10:30 AM
Why can't I get WPA to work with linksys router and linksys/WinXP client? Colin Wireless Networking 0 06-14-2005 08:52 PM