Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Why Do I need Lightroom?

Reply
Thread Tools

Why Do I need Lightroom?

 
 
David J. Littleboy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-30-2007

"MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>> In article <bT27i.412936$(E-Mail Removed)>, MarkČ <
>> here)@cox..net> wrote:
>>
>>>> Lightroom is born again Raw Shooter.
>>>
>>> That's fairly close. Lightroom came only after Adobe bought the
>>> company that made RawShooter, so the similarity isn't a coincidence.

>>
>> what ever gave you that idea? lightroom has been in development for a
>> number of years. it was first released to the public in january, 2006
>> as a public beta, and adobe's aquisition of pixmantec was in june,
>> 2006.
>>
>> <http://photoshopnews.com/2006/01/09/...m-development-
>> story>
>> <http://www.adobe.com/special/pixmantec/>

>
> My understanding was that Adobe bought them out in order to utilize some
> of their tech in Lightroom without encroaching. I'm not emotionally
> involved, so if that is shown to be wrong...great!


I think at least some of the software engineers on Rawshooter moved over to
Adobe. That was MS's modus operandi. Many of my contemporaries (Comp. Sci.
'76) started companies and sold out to MS at an appropriate point, with the
better technical types getting good deals at MS. (The ones who were greedy
and missed the optimal sell-out point got nothing.)

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
X-Man
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-30-2007
On 29 May 2007 10:07:10 -0700, Annika1980 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I use Downloader Pro to download my images and Breezebrowser to
>quickly view them.
>Then I use Photoshop to edit them.
>
>So somebody please tell me why I need Lightroom?
>I'm considering going to a NAPP Lightroom seminar in Atlanta on Friday
>given by Scott Kelby and I need to know if it'll be worth my time.
>
>
>So what will Lightroom do that Photoshop won't?


And yet, the freeware RAW Therapee from www.rawtherapee.com does more and does
it better than both of them. I just got through comparing them.

You should have asked, "What does Lightroom and Photoshop do that RAW Therapee
won't?"

Simple answer: Both Adobe products will turn you into a royal-sap for wasting
your money on either one.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Scott W
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-30-2007
On May 29, 3:10 pm, X-Man <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 29 May 2007 10:07:10 -0700, Annika1980 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I use Downloader Pro to download my images and Breezebrowser to
> >quickly view them.
> >Then I use Photoshop to edit them.

>
> >So somebody please tell me why I need Lightroom?
> >I'm considering going to a NAPP Lightroom seminar in Atlanta on Friday
> >given by Scott Kelby and I need to know if it'll be worth my time.

>
> >So what will Lightroom do that Photoshop won't?

>
> And yet, the freeware RAW Therapee fromwww.rawtherapee.comdoes more and does
> it better than both of them. I just got through comparing them.
>
> You should have asked, "What does Lightroom and Photoshop do that RAW Therapee
> won't?"
>
> Simple answer: Both Adobe products will turn you into a royal-sap for wasting
> your money on either one.


Well yes but then you believe that a point and shoot camera is better
then a DSLR as well, for me at least this makes it had to give your
opinion much weight.

Scott

 
Reply With Quote
 
MarkČ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-30-2007
nospam wrote:
> In article <IG37i.396423$(E-Mail Removed)>, MarkČ <
> here)@cox..net> wrote:
>
>> My understanding was that Adobe bought them out in order to utilize
>> some of their tech in Lightroom without encroaching. I'm not
>> emotionally involved, so if that is shown to be wrong...great!

>
> they definitely incorporated rawshooter in lightroom and adobe camera
> raw. however, the lightroom project began long before that occured.
> that's all.


The Lightroom we now enjoy is the way it is...to a significant
degree...because they incorporated technologies they aqcuired from
RawShooter Premium.

Does that pass your legal verbage-checker?


--
Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by MarkČ at:
www.pbase.com/markuson


 
Reply With Quote
 
MarkČ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-30-2007
nospam wrote:
> In article <f3ihfs$aln$(E-Mail Removed)>, Ryadiia
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Why would they give a free copy out to every registered RawShooter
>> Pro owner if LR had no relationship to RS?

>
> i didn't say no relation at all, only that lightroom isn't rawshooter
> reborn.


The two are significantly intertwined.
-'Nuff said.

--
Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by MarkČ at:
www.pbase.com/markuson


 
Reply With Quote
 
John McWilliams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-30-2007
MarkČ wrote:
> Annika1980 wrote:
>> On May 29, 4:04 pm, C J Campbell <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>> It depends a little bit on what Kelby shows you. If he shows you the
>>> workflow aspects of Lightroom, you can see what it is for. Lightroom
>>> is there from image acquisition, either tethered or un-tethered,
>>> through organizing, rating, selecting, editing, publishing, and
>>> archiving your files. The whole point of view in Lightroom is
>>> workflow.

>> It looks like that's the way it will be presented ... from the actual
>> shoot to the print. Here are some details of the program for anyone
>> who might be interested:
>> http://www.photoshopseminars.com/class/161/
>>
>> I've been to a few seminars at that location before, but don't recall
>> any of them selling out a 500-seat room. They had to move into a
>> bigger hall to accomodate all the attendees. I suppose I might just
>> go although listening to Kelby for a whole day might make me a little
>> violent. At least I'll have a good lunch (at the KFC just down the
>> street).

>
> Luminous Landscape has prepared a very detailed Lightroom course that is 4.5
> hours in length, and downloadable, for $14.95. I watched a preview and was
> impressed. It's nearly 800MB, and high-quality video, which I'll start
> downloading in a few minutes...


It's worthwhile, esp. if you're new to LR. Interesting dynamics between
Jeff Schewe and Michael Reichmann.....
>
> The seminar sounds interesting, but to me, I'd rather have something like
> LL's course...because it means I can re-visit any portion at any time.
> Here's a link to it if you're interested:
>
> TinyUrl: http://preview.tinyurl.com/2gvgkd
>
> Or...here's the whole enchelada, for the paranoid among us:

<http://www.luminous-landscape.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_ id=126&zenid=4ad11dba15bfc574d20cd04a1a95e850>

Don't know about others, but I have no objection to tiny urls from folks
I "know" online. OTOH, why bother with setting one up when a bracketed
long URL goes fine through any respectable Email client?

I've just done most of all three of Deke McClelland's CS3 online
tutorials- still have big pieces each of the advanced, intermediate and
beginner's sessions left.

--
John McWilliams

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ryadiia
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-30-2007

"X-Man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 29 May 2007 10:07:10 -0700, Annika1980 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I use Downloader Pro to download my images and Breezebrowser to
>>quickly view them.
>>Then I use Photoshop to edit them.
>>
>>So somebody please tell me why I need Lightroom?
>>I'm considering going to a NAPP Lightroom seminar in Atlanta on Friday
>>given by Scott Kelby and I need to know if it'll be worth my time.
>>
>>
>>So what will Lightroom do that Photoshop won't?

>
> And yet, the freeware RAW Therapee from www.rawtherapee.com does more and
> does
> it better than both of them. I just got through comparing them.
>
> You should have asked, "What does Lightroom and Photoshop do that RAW
> Therapee
> won't?"
>
> Simple answer: Both Adobe products will turn you into a royal-sap for
> wasting
> your money on either one.
>


Lightroom is a mature product. rawtherapee is:
THe Experimental RAw Photo Editor

--
Douglas,
Those who can, just do it.
Those who can't become bullies.
http://www.bullyonline.org


 
Reply With Quote
 
X-Man
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-30-2007
On 29 May 2007 18:43:32 -0700, Scott W <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On May 29, 3:10 pm, X-Man <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 29 May 2007 10:07:10 -0700, Annika1980 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >I use Downloader Pro to download my images and Breezebrowser to
>> >quickly view them.
>> >Then I use Photoshop to edit them.

>>
>> >So somebody please tell me why I need Lightroom?
>> >I'm considering going to a NAPP Lightroom seminar in Atlanta on Friday
>> >given by Scott Kelby and I need to know if it'll be worth my time.

>>
>> >So what will Lightroom do that Photoshop won't?

>>
>> And yet, the freeware RAW Therapee fromwww.rawtherapee.comdoes more and does
>> it better than both of them. I just got through comparing them.
>>
>> You should have asked, "What does Lightroom and Photoshop do that RAW Therapee
>> won't?"
>>
>> Simple answer: Both Adobe products will turn you into a royal-sap for wasting
>> your money on either one.

>
>Well yes but then you believe that a point and shoot camera is better
>then a DSLR as well, for me at least this makes it had to give your
>opinion much weight.
>
>Scott


Oh look! It's that useless Scott Troll that insists EVERY dSLR in existence must
be better than every P&S in existence, to justify why he's wasting his money and
wanting everyone else to jump off the same stupidity-cliff that he did.

 
Reply With Quote
 
X-Man
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-30-2007
On Wed, 30 May 2007 12:07:26 +1000, "Ryadiia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Lightroom is a mature product. rawtherapee is:
>THe Experimental RAw Photo Editor


And CHDK firmware is being released under the filenames of :
"test1-pre12-.....", and yet it turns every camera it supports into a more
capable camera than any DSLR that's ever been on the market.

If you are going to judge software by its name then don't use ACDSee either or
it might turn you into a bisexual!!

What a ****in' fool.

But then, that's how Adobe gets wealthy, "A fool is born every minute." And "A
fool and his money are soon parted." Adobe makes sure to dig into the pockets
of each and every one of you that is born.
 
Reply With Quote
 
BaumBadier
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-30-2007
On Wed, 30 May 2007 12:07:26 +1000, "Ryadiia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>
>Lightroom is a mature product. rawtherapee is:
>THe Experimental RAw Photo Editor


Lightroom is only at v1.0 (still in Beta phase actually)

RAW Therapee is at v2.1

I guess if you are going to be so stupid as to judge a software's capabilities
by program names alone then RAW Therapee is way ahead of the game.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
why why why why why Mr. SweatyFinger ASP .Net 4 12-21-2006 01:15 PM
findcontrol("PlaceHolderPrice") why why why why why why why why why why why Mr. SweatyFinger ASP .Net 2 12-02-2006 03:46 PM
Cisco 2611 and Cisco 1721 : Why , why , why ????? sam@nospam.org Cisco 10 05-01-2005 08:49 AM
Why, why, why??? =?Utf-8?B?VGltOjouLg==?= ASP .Net 6 01-27-2005 03:35 PM
Why Why Why You HAVE NO IDEA MCSE 31 04-24-2004 06:40 PM



Advertisments