Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 64-bit dual core: vista business x64 or XP Pro x64?

64-bit dual core: vista business x64 or XP Pro x64?

Jon

Hi! I'm having a hard time understanding the different capabilities
of the various Windows versions for 64-bit support. I have a license
for both XP Pro x64 and Vista business x64. Which utilizes a dual-
core x64 processor better? Do applications have to be specifically
written to utilize a dual-core x64-bit OS in both XP and Vista? I'm
thinking Vista is better at uilizing my CPU's full capabilities
despite whether the app is written for x32 or x64, am I right? Like,
maybe Vista has drivers that spread the processing across both cores,
and XP doesn't? I have a lot of money invested in the top of the line
(today) and I just want to be able to use it to its full potential.
Thoughts? Thanks all!
-Jon

Charlie Russel - MVP

Both operating systems can use all the capabilities of your dual core
processor. The driver situation is a bit iffy still for all 64-bit OSs, but
do your homework and you should be OK. The choice between Vista and XP is,
frankly, a choice between where you want to be right now. Vista is new.
Vista is pretty. And Vista has some very important security improvements.
But XP is a known quantity and the transition to Vista is not without some
learning curve pain. It took me a while, but I'm now more comfortable with
Vista than with XP. OTOH, we have employees who wanted to move, had the
hardware to support Vista, but ended up having a very hard transition.
Others had no major pain.

Applications must be written to take full advantage of a 64-bit OS. But if
they are, they should work equally well in either. For an overview of the
decision factors between 32-bit and 64-bit, try this whitepaper:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc

It's about XP x64, but is pretty much applicable to Vista 64bit as well.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...