Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Hide HTML Source Code

Reply
Thread Tools

Hide HTML Source Code

 
 
ad@albert-dominguez.de
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2007
Hiding HTML source code is possible. It requires JavaScript, but there
is no need to encrypt HTML output or do anything else which would
decrease performance. I discovered this about five years ago, but at
that time it would have been considered bad practice in regards to
cross-browser-compatibility. Now that AJAX has become a programming
standard, the time has come to let this loose on the the public. I
won't tell you how I do it, but I will provide you with a working
example.

http://www.smart-cgi.com/api/

If anyone is able to crack this, I would appreciate the feedback.

Albert Dominguez

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Benjamin Niemann
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2007
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hiding HTML source code is possible. It requires JavaScript, but there
> is no need to encrypt HTML output or do anything else which would
> decrease performance. I discovered this about five years ago, but at
> that time it would have been considered bad practice in regards to
> cross-browser-compatibility. Now that AJAX has become a programming
> standard, the time has come to let this loose on the the public. I
> won't tell you how I do it, but I will provide you with a working
> example.
>
> http://www.smart-cgi.com/api/
>
> If anyone is able to crack this, I would appreciate the feedback.


http://www.smart-cgi.com/api/rss.php...rss/topstories

so what?

--
Benjamin Niemann
Email: pink at odahoda dot de
WWW: http://pink.odahoda.de/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David Dorward
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2007
On May 29, 2:14 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hiding HTML source code is possible.


Not effectively

> It requires JavaScript


Which is run by the browser, so a DOM Inspector can extract the markup
in about two clicks.

>, but there is no need to encrypt HTML output or do anything else which would
> decrease performance.


Correct. Hiding the HTML source is pointless.

> I discovered this about five years ago, but at
> that time it would have been considered bad practice in regards to
> cross-browser-compatibility.


.... and still is. Hiding all your content from search engines and
users of Opera Mobile is generally considered a bad idea.

> Now that AJAX has become a programming
> standard


*snigger*

>, the time has come to let this loose on the the public. I
> won't tell you how I do it, but I will provide you with a working
> example.
>
> http://www.smart-cgi.com/api/


Oh dear

> If anyone is able to crack this, I would appreciate the feedback.


Two clicks:

<html lang="en" dir="ltr" xml:lang="en" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/
xhtml"><head><script type="text/javascript" src="./js.js"/
><title>Smart-CGI.com</title><meta content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"

http-equiv="Content-Type"/><link type="text/css" href="./default.css"
rel="stylesheet"/></head><body onload="getNav('http://
rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/topstories', urls);getXml('http://
rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/topstories');return false;"><div
class="headmast"><a href="../"><img style="border: medium none ;
padding-left: 8px;" alt="Smart-CGI.com" src="../img/logo.gif"/></a></
div><div id="nav"><div class="navWrapper"><h1 class="navBlur">Top
Stories</h1><h1 class="navFocus"><a onclick="getNav(this.id,
urls);getXml('http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/world');return false;"
id="http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/world" class="nav"
href="javascript:">World News</a></h1><h1 class="navFocus"><a
onclick="getNav(this.id, urls);getXml('http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/
us');return false;" id="http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/us" class="nav"
href="javascript:">U.S. News</a></h1><h1 class="navFocus"><a
onclick="getNav(this.id, urls);getXml('http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/
politics');return false;" id="http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/politics"
class="nav" href="javascript:">Politics</a></h1><h1
class="navFocus"><a onclick="getNav(this.id, urls);getXml('http://
rss.news.yahoo.


(and I won't bother pasting the rest)

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jukka K. Korpela
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2007
Scripsit David Dorward:

> Hiding all your content from search engines and
> users of Opera Mobile is generally considered a bad idea.


Not necessary.

People who try to hide HTML source typically produce crap pages, so hiding
them from as many user agents as possible tends to raise the overall quality
of the Web.

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

 
Reply With Quote
 
El Kabong
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2007
And the script begins with:

function clickIE () { if (document.all) return false; }
function clickNS (e) { if (document.layers || (document.getElementById &&
!document.all)) { if (e.which == 2 || e.which == 3) return false; } }
function getXml (url) {
etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...

"David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> On May 29, 2:14 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Hiding HTML source code is possible.

>
> Not effectively
>
>> It requires JavaScript

>
> Which is run by the browser, so a DOM Inspector can extract the markup
> in about two clicks.
>
>>, but there is no need to encrypt HTML output or do anything else which
>>would
>> decrease performance.

>
> Correct. Hiding the HTML source is pointless.
>
>> I discovered this about five years ago, but at
>> that time it would have been considered bad practice in regards to
>> cross-browser-compatibility.

>
> ... and still is. Hiding all your content from search engines and
> users of Opera Mobile is generally considered a bad idea.
>
>> Now that AJAX has become a programming
>> standard

>
> *snigger*
>
>>, the time has come to let this loose on the the public. I
>> won't tell you how I do it, but I will provide you with a working
>> example.
>>
>> http://www.smart-cgi.com/api/

>
> Oh dear
>
>> If anyone is able to crack this, I would appreciate the feedback.

>
> Two clicks:
>
> <html lang="en" dir="ltr" xml:lang="en" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/
> xhtml"><head><script type="text/javascript" src="./js.js"/
>><title>Smart-CGI.com</title><meta content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"

> http-equiv="Content-Type"/><link type="text/css" href="./default.css"
> rel="stylesheet"/></head><body onload="getNav('http://
> rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/topstories', urls);getXml('http://
> rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/topstories');return false;"><div
> class="headmast"><a href="../"><img style="border: medium none ;
> padding-left: 8px;" alt="Smart-CGI.com" src="../img/logo.gif"/></a></
> div><div id="nav"><div class="navWrapper"><h1 class="navBlur">Top
> Stories</h1><h1 class="navFocus"><a onclick="getNav(this.id,
> urls);getXml('http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/world');return false;"
> id="http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/world" class="nav"
> href="javascript:">World News</a></h1><h1 class="navFocus"><a
> onclick="getNav(this.id, urls);getXml('http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/
> us');return false;" id="http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/us" class="nav"
> href="javascript:">U.S. News</a></h1><h1 class="navFocus"><a
> onclick="getNav(this.id, urls);getXml('http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/
> politics');return false;" id="http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/politics"
> class="nav" href="javascript:">Politics</a></h1><h1
> class="navFocus"><a onclick="getNav(this.id, urls);getXml('http://
> rss.news.yahoo.
>
>
> (and I won't bother pasting the rest)
>


And the referenced script begins with:

function clickIE () { if (document.all) return false; }
function clickNS (e) { if (document.layers || (document.getElementById &&
!document.all)) { if (e.which == 2 || e.which == 3) return false; } }
function getXml (url) {
etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...

Requires a third click.

Back to the drawing board, friend.

El


 
Reply With Quote
 
David Dorward
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2007
On May 29, 3:33 pm, "El Kabong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Requires a third click.


It was two, I counted.

 
Reply With Quote
 
El Kabong
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2007
Oh, yeah. Sorry, it's hard to count when I've got my shoes on.

El

"David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On May 29, 3:33 pm, "El Kabong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Requires a third click.

>
> It was two, I counted.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
ad@albert-dominguez.de
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2007
On May 29, 3:41 pm, Benjamin Niemann <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > HidingHTMLsourcecodeis possible. It requires JavaScript, but there
> > is no need to encryptHTMLoutput or do anything else which would
> > decrease performance. I discovered this about five years ago, but at
> > that time it would have been considered bad practice in regards to
> > cross-browser-compatibility. Now that AJAX has become a programming
> > standard, the time has come to let this loose on the the public. I
> > won't tell you how I do it, but I will provide you with a working
> > example.

>
> >http://www.smart-cgi.com/api/

>
> > If anyone is able to crack this, I would appreciate the feedback.

>
> http://www.smart-cgi.com/api/rss.php...s.yahoo.com/rs...
>
> so what?
>
> --
> Benjamin Niemann
> Email: pink at odahoda dot de
> WWW:http://pink.odahoda.de/


Try this again:

> http://www.smart-cgi.com/api/rss.php....yahoo.com/rss


and no I haven't moved, renamed or changed the output of this page.

 
Reply With Quote
 
JWS
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2007
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> http://www.smart-cgi.com/api/
>
> If anyone is able to crack this, I would appreciate the feedback.


Just clicking file, save page as, web page complete (in Mozilla
Seamonkey) reveals the whole sorry mess. No cracking is involved.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2007
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hiding HTML source code is possible. It requires JavaScript, but there
> is no need to encrypt HTML output or do anything else which would
> decrease performance. I discovered this about five years ago, but at
> that time it would have been considered bad practice in regards to
> cross-browser-compatibility. Now that AJAX has become a programming
> standard, the time has come to let this loose on the the public. I
> won't tell you how I do it, but I will provide you with a working
> example.
>
> http://www.smart-cgi.com/api/
>
> If anyone is able to crack this, I would appreciate the feedback.


DUH!

> <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" dir="ltr" lang="en"><head><script src="./js.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="./hide.js"></script><title>Smart-CGI.com</title><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"><link rel="stylesheet" href="./default.css" type="text/css"></head><body onload="getNav('http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/topstories', urls);getXml('http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/topstories');return false;"><div class="headmast"><a href="../"><img src="../img/logo.gif" alt="Smart-CGI.com" style="border: medium none ; padding-left: 8px;"></a></div><div id="nav"><div class="navWrapper"><h1 class="navBlur">Top Stories</h1><h1 class="navFocus"><a href="javascript:" class="nav" id="http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/world" onclick="getNav(this.id, urls);getXml('http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/world');return false;">World News</a></h1><h1 class="navFocus"><a href="javascript:" class="nav" id="http://rss.ne

ws.yahoo.com/rss/us" onclick="getNav(this.id, urls);getXml('http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/us');return false;">U.S. News</a></h1><h1 class="navFocus"><a href="javascript:" class="nav" id="http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/politics" onclick="getNav(this.id, urls);getXml('http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/politics');return false;">Politics</a></h1><h1 class="navFocus"><a href="javascript:" class="nav" id="http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/business" onclick="getNav(this.id, urls);getXml('http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/business');return false;">Business</a></h1><h1 class="navFocus"><a href="javascript:" class="nav" id="http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/tech" onclick="getNav(this.id, urls);getXml('http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/tech');return false;">Technology</a></h1><h1 class="navFocus"><a href="javascript:" class="nav" id="http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/science" onclick="getNav(this.id, urls);getXml('http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/science');return false;">Science</a></h1><h1 class="navFocus"><a hre
f="javascript:" class="nav" id="http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/sports" onclick="getNav(this.id, urls);getXml('http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/sports');return false;">Sports</a></h1></div></div><div id="out"><a href="http://news.yahoo.com/i/716"><img src="http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/nws/th/main_142b.gif" alt="Yahoo! News: Top Stories" class="img"></a><h1 class="title"><a href="http://news.yahoo.com/i/716">Yahoo! News: Top Stories</a></h1><address class="copyright">Top Stories Tue, 29 May 2007 16:29:56 GMT </address><div name="item" class="item"><h2><a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/topstories/*http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070529/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_darfur">Bush pressures Sudan with new sanctions
> (AP)</a></h2><div>Tue, 29 May 2007 16:33:09 GMT</div><p></p><p><a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/topstories/*http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070529/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_darfur"><img src="http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070529/capt.b2b1b4d5a14c44fda2f671572e7541a9.bush_dcsa102 .jpg?x=130&amp;y=117&amp;sig=Gids_0IhcZ7vGQo604sF4 Q--" alt="President Bush waves as he departs the White House in Washington, Tuesday, May 29, 2007, after he ordered new U.S. economic sanctions to pressure Sudan's government to halt the genocide in Darfur. The president is traveling to the to the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Glynco, Ga. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)" align="left" border="0" height="117" width="130"></a>AP - President Bush ordered new U.S. economic sanctions Tuesday to pressure Sudan's government to halt the bloodshed in Darfur that the administration has condemned as genocide.</p><br clear="all"><p></p></div><div name="item" class="item"><h2><a href="http

://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/topstories/*http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070529/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq">U.S.: 10 Memorial Day deaths in Iraq
> (AP)</a></h2><div>Tue, 29 May 2007 16:18:48 GMT</div><p></p><p><a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/topstories/*http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070529/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq"><img src="http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20070529/i/r446538201.jpg?x=130&amp;y=93&amp;sig=10ysuM53nRuo Q_draYNjyQ--" alt="Iraqis ride past a damaged Sunni mosque in Baghdad May 29, 2007. At least 24 people were killed and 68 were wounded when a truck bomb exploded near Baghdad's largest Sunni Muslim mosque on Monday, police said. REUTERS/Ceerwan Aziz (IRAQ)" align="left" border="0" height="93" width="130"></a>AP - Ten American soldiers were killed in roadside bombings and a helicopter crash on Memorial Day, the military reported Tuesday, making May the deadliest month of the year for U.S. troops in Iraq.</p><br clear="all"><p></p></div><div name="item" class="item"><h2><a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/topstories/*http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070529/...ssia_missile_t

est">Russian official boasts of new ICBM
> (AP)</a></h2><div>Tue, 29 May 2007 16:01:27 GMT</div><p></p><p><a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/topstories/*http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070529/ap_on_re_eu/russia_missile_test"><img src="http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20070515/capt.sge.dox74.150507160530.photo02.photo.default-512x354.jpg?x=130&amp;y=89&amp;sig=wtf6LX3z8pdDTnT d_ceBlg--" alt="Russian President Vladimir Putin (R) speaks with First Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Ivanov during a meeting in March 2007. US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice met President Vladimir Putin on a visit aimed at allaying Russian complaints of American interference in both the military and political spheres.(AFP/Pool/File/Dmitry Astakhov)" align="left" border="0" height="89" width="130"></a>AP - Russia on Tuesday test-launched a new intercontinental ballistic missile, apparently developed secretly, that a top government official said could penetrate any defense system, Russian news agencies reported.</p><br clear="al

l"><p></p></div><div name="item" class="item"><h2><a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/topstories/*http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070529/ap_on_el_pr/obama_health">Obama offers universal health care plan
> (AP)</a></h2><div>Tue, 29 May 2007 16:20:17 GMT</div><p></p><p><a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/topstories/*http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070529/ap_on_el_pr/obama_health"><img src="http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070529/capt.7b36c8d381d346e08a8abfb549a1b3c4.obama_2008_i acn105.jpg?x=130&amp;y=94&amp;sig=YY7ygBKWgzdywvw_ miI5Ew--" alt="Democratic presidential hopeful U.S. Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., speaks during a Memorial Day reception with veterans, Monday, May 28, 2007, in Davenport, Iowa. (AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall)" align="left" border="0" height="94" width="130"></a>AP - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama on Tuesday offered a sweeping health care plan that would provide every citizen a means for coverage and calls on government, businesses and consumers to share the costs of the program.</p><br clear="all"><p></p></div><div name="item" class="item"><h2><a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/topstories/*http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap

/20070529/ap_on_bi_ge/economy">Consumer confidence rebounds in May

....

> was ending her public campaign against the Iraq war with an
> angry blast at Democrats, Republicans and "cowardly leaders"
> who have abandoned U.S. troops indefinitely in Iraq.</p><br clear="all"><p></p></div><div name="item" class="item"><h2><a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/topstories/*http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070529/pl_nm/worldbank_bush_dc">Bush may name World Bank chief this week: WHouse
> (Reuters)</a></h2><div>Tue, 29 May 2007 14:23:32 GMT</div><p></p><p><a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/topstories/*http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070529/pl_nm/worldbank_bush_dc"><img src="http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20070529/2007_05_29t113836_450x359_us_worldbank_bush.jpg?x= 130&amp;y=103&amp;sig=P2DqS2g7bBRVdAf7IbqJVA--" alt="A view of a conference hall during the IMF and World Bank spring meeting in Washington, April 14, 2007. President Bush is likely to announce this week a candidate to replace World Bank President Paul Wolfowitz, who resigned after a storm of criticism over a salary increase for his companion, White House spokesman Tony Snow said on Tuesday. (Yuri Gripas/Reuters)" align="left" border="0" height="103" width="130"></a>Reuters - President George W. Bush is
> likely to announce this week a candidate to replace World Bank
> President Paul Wolfowitz, who resigned after a storm of
> criticism over a salary increase for his companion, White House
> spokesman Tony Snow said on Tuesday.</p><br clear="all"><p></p></div><div name="item" class="item"><h2><a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/topstories/*http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070529/ts_nm/g8_climate_germany_dc">Merkel, Pelosi say world should unite on climate


....

Enough?


--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to hide your source code? Immortal Nephi C++ 1 08-10-2009 07:41 AM
Hide contents in source code mrajanikrishna@gmail.com ASP .Net 1 06-20-2008 05:49 PM
can we show the value in source code but hide it in the screen? jrefactors@hotmail.com ASP General 5 09-07-2005 04:02 AM
is there a way to "include" source file B.html in source file A.html? Cloud Burst HTML 11 01-09-2004 02:49 AM
hide my source code/ ross HTML 17 06-28-2003 08:35 PM



Advertisments