Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Computer Keeps rebooting

Computer Keeps rebooting

amar586

Hi

HARDWARE SPECIFICATION

P4 3GHZ Processor
2GB Memory
2 x 250 SATA HD samsung
Power Supply 400
Motherboard Asrock 775i945GZ Socket 775 7.1

I recently built a PC and it worked fine for a couple of days. Then it
started to reboot while i was browising the internet. The PC started
to load up to the desktop and for couple of minutes it was ok then it
rebooted. it does this over-and over. so i decied to not switch the pc
on, the next day i switched my PC on and it worked fine. I decied to
run a virus check (norton 360) and it didn't pick up any viruses. So i
decied to get spywear software Lavasoft AD-AWARE SE PERSONAL. This
picked up a few problems and it seemed to work for a while but it
still kept on rebooting. IT even rebooted while i was doing virus
scan.

I HAVE DONE THE FOLLOWING

-re-installed the OP WINDOWS XP PRO
-changed motherboard
-CHANGED THE POWER SUPPLY
-removed 1 stick of memory
- Put memory stick in over slots

Could this be a virus or is this a hardware issue?

please can you help

thanks

amar586

treehugger

amar586 wrote:
> Hi
>
> HARDWARE SPECIFICATION
>
> P4 3GHZ Processor
> 2GB Memory
> 2 x 250 SATA HD samsung
> Power Supply 400
> Motherboard Asrock 775i945GZ Socket 775 7.1
>
> I recently built a PC and it worked fine for a couple of days. Then it
> started to reboot while i was browising the internet. The PC started
> to load up to the desktop and for couple of minutes it was ok then it
> rebooted. it does this over-and over. so i decied to not switch the pc
> on, the next day i switched my PC on and it worked fine. I decied to
> run a virus check (norton 360) and it didn't pick up any viruses. So i
> decied to get spywear software Lavasoft AD-AWARE SE PERSONAL. This
> picked up a few problems and it seemed to work for a while but it
> still kept on rebooting. IT even rebooted while i was doing virus
> scan.
>
> I HAVE DONE THE FOLLOWING
>
> -re-installed the OP WINDOWS XP PRO
> -changed motherboard
> -CHANGED THE POWER SUPPLY
> -removed 1 stick of memory
> - Put memory stick in over slots
>
> Could this be a virus or is this a hardware issue?
>
> please can you help
>
> thanks
>
> amar586

Could it be overheating? Have you checked the temps?

panishdesai panishdesai is offline
Junior Member

this is the problem with the processor and heatsink assembly. please change the processsor and heatsink assembly to resolve this issue, after changing the processor i normally advise to flash the BIOS with latest versin available.

amar586

On 29 May, 13:04, treehugger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> amar586 wrote:
> > Hi

> > HARDWARE SPECIFICATION

> > P4 3GHZ Processor
> > 2GB Memory
> > 2 x 250 SATA HD samsung
> > Power Supply 400
> > Motherboard Asrock 775i945GZ Socket 775 7.1

> > I recently built a PC and it worked fine for a couple of days. Then it
> > started to reboot while i was browising the internet. The PC started
> > to load up to the desktop and for couple of minutes it was ok then it
> > rebooted. it does this over-and over. so i decied to not switch the pc
> > on, the next day i switched my PC on and it worked fine. I decied to
> > run a virus check (norton 360) and it didn't pick up any viruses. So i
> > decied to get spywear software Lavasoft AD-AWARE SE PERSONAL. This
> > picked up a few problems and it seemed to work for a while but it
> > still kept on rebooting. IT even rebooted while i was doing virus
> > scan.

> > I HAVE DONE THE FOLLOWING

> > -re-installed the OP WINDOWS XP PRO
> > -changed motherboard
> > -CHANGED THE POWER SUPPLY
> > -removed 1 stick of memory
> > - Put memory stick in over slots

> > Could this be a virus or is this a hardware issue?

> > please can you help

> > thanks

> > amar586

> Could it be overheating? Have you checked the temps?- Hide quoted text -

what should the temps be at?

Ace Hung

treehugger wrote:
> amar586 wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> HARDWARE SPECIFICATION
>>
>> P4 3GHZ Processor
>> 2GB Memory
>> 2 x 250 SATA HD samsung
>> Power Supply 400
>> Motherboard Asrock 775i945GZ Socket 775 7.1
>>
>> I recently built a PC and it worked fine for a couple of days. Then it
>> started to reboot while i was browising the internet. The PC started
>> to load up to the desktop and for couple of minutes it was ok then it
>> rebooted. it does this over-and over. so i decied to not switch the pc
>> on, the next day i switched my PC on and it worked fine. I decied to
>> run a virus check (norton 360) and it didn't pick up any viruses. So i
>> decied to get spywear software Lavasoft AD-AWARE SE PERSONAL. This
>> picked up a few problems and it seemed to work for a while but it
>> still kept on rebooting. IT even rebooted while i was doing virus
>> scan.
>>
>> I HAVE DONE THE FOLLOWING
>>
>> -re-installed the OP WINDOWS XP PRO
>> -changed motherboard
>> -CHANGED THE POWER SUPPLY
>> -removed 1 stick of memory
>> - Put memory stick in over slots
>>
>> Could this be a virus or is this a hardware issue?
>>
>> please can you help
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> amar586
>>

> Could it be overheating? Have you checked the temps?

Perhaps, open up one side cover and see what happens. Does it still
reboot? Again, when you change motherboard and plug the processor into
the new m/b did you notice the condition of the thermal compound ?

-Hung

kilikini

treehugger wrote:
> amar586 wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> HARDWARE SPECIFICATION
>>
>> P4 3GHZ Processor
>> 2GB Memory
>> 2 x 250 SATA HD samsung
>> Power Supply 400
>> Motherboard Asrock 775i945GZ Socket 775 7.1
>>
>> I recently built a PC and it worked fine for a couple of days. Then
>> it started to reboot while i was browising the internet. The PC
>> started to load up to the desktop and for couple of minutes it was
>> ok then it rebooted. it does this over-and over. so i decied to not
>> switch the pc on, the next day i switched my PC on and it worked
>> fine. I decied to run a virus check (norton 360) and it didn't pick
>> up any viruses. So i decied to get spywear software Lavasoft
>> AD-AWARE SE PERSONAL. This picked up a few problems and it seemed to
>> work for a while but it still kept on rebooting. IT even rebooted
>> while i was doing virus scan.
>>
>> I HAVE DONE THE FOLLOWING
>>
>> -re-installed the OP WINDOWS XP PRO
>> -changed motherboard
>> -CHANGED THE POWER SUPPLY
>> -removed 1 stick of memory
>> - Put memory stick in over slots
>>
>> Could this be a virus or is this a hardware issue?
>>
>> please can you help
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> amar586
>>

> Could it be overheating? Have you checked the temps?

That's the first thing I thought of, too. Either the CPU fan isn't working
or maybe the power supply fan isn't working. Another thought, it's summer;
it's hot. Are you in an A/C environment?

kili

amar586

On 29 May, 14:26, Ace Hung <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> treehugger wrote:
> > amar586 wrote:

> >> Hi

> >> HARDWARE SPECIFICATION

> >> P4 3GHZ Processor
> >> 2GB Memory
> >> 2 x 250 SATA HD samsung
> >> Power Supply 400
> >> Motherboard Asrock 775i945GZ Socket 775 7.1

> >> I recently built a PC and it worked fine for a couple of days. Then it
> >> started to reboot while i was browising the internet. The PC started
> >> to load up to the desktop and for couple of minutes it was ok then it
> >> rebooted. it does this over-and over. so i decied to not switch the pc
> >> on, the next day i switched my PC on and it worked fine. I decied to
> >> run a virus check (norton 360) and it didn't pick up any viruses. So i
> >> decied to get spywear software Lavasoft AD-AWARE SE PERSONAL. This
> >> picked up a few problems and it seemed to work for a while but it
> >> still kept on rebooting. IT even rebooted while i was doing virus
> >> scan.

> >> I HAVE DONE THE FOLLOWING

> >> -re-installed the OP WINDOWS XP PRO
> >> -changed motherboard
> >> -CHANGED THE POWER SUPPLY
> >> -removed 1 stick of memory
> >> - Put memory stick in over slots

> >> Could this be a virus or is this a hardware issue?

> >> please can you help

> >> thanks

> >> amar586

> > Could it be overheating? Have you checked the temps?

> Perhaps, open up one side cover and see what happens. Does it still
> reboot? Again, when you change motherboard and plug the processor into
> the new m/b did you notice the condition of the thermal compound ?
>
> -Hung- Hide quoted text -

Yesrterday moring i used the pc for 1 hour and it was fine, i went
back on the pc in the evening and it kept on starting up and
rebooting. It kept on doing this, the side cover was off at the time.
the thermal paste was ok.

amar586

On 29 May, 15:09, "kilikini" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> treehugger wrote:
> > amar586 wrote:
> >> Hi

> >> HARDWARE SPECIFICATION

> >> P4 3GHZ Processor
> >> 2GB Memory
> >> 2 x 250 SATA HD samsung
> >> Power Supply 400
> >> Motherboard Asrock 775i945GZ Socket 775 7.1

> >> I recently built a PC and it worked fine for a couple of days. Then
> >> it started to reboot while i was browising the internet. The PC
> >> started to load up to the desktop and for couple of minutes it was
> >> ok then it rebooted. it does this over-and over. so i decied to not
> >> switch the pc on, the next day i switched my PC on and it worked
> >> fine. I decied to run a virus check (norton 360) and it didn't pick
> >> up any viruses. So i decied to get spywear software Lavasoft
> >> AD-AWARE SE PERSONAL. This picked up a few problems and it seemed to
> >> work for a while but it still kept on rebooting. IT even rebooted
> >> while i was doing virus scan.

> >> I HAVE DONE THE FOLLOWING

> >> -re-installed the OP WINDOWS XP PRO
> >> -changed motherboard
> >> -CHANGED THE POWER SUPPLY
> >> -removed 1 stick of memory
> >> - Put memory stick in over slots

> >> Could this be a virus or is this a hardware issue?

> >> please can you help

> >> thanks

> >> amar586

> > Could it be overheating? Have you checked the temps?

> That's the first thing I thought of, too. Either the CPU fan isn't working
> or maybe the power supply fan isn't working. Another thought, it's summer;
> it's hot. Are you in an A/C environment?
>
> kili- Hide quoted text -

No to that question, its raining at the moment in the uk. the fan
seems to be working, while i was writing the previouse message the pc
rebooted so the pc gud reboot anytime lol.

Meat Plow

On Tue, 29 May 2007 07:10:12 -0700, amar586 wrote:

> On 29 May, 14:26, Ace Hung <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> treehugger wrote:

>> > Could it be overheating? Have you checked the temps?

>> Perhaps, open up one side cover and see what happens. Does it still
>> reboot? Again, when you change motherboard and plug the processor into
>> the new m/b did you notice the condition of the thermal compound ?
>>
>> -Hung- Hide quoted text -

> Yesrterday moring i used the pc for 1 hour and it was fine, i went
> back on the pc in the evening and it kept on starting up and
> rebooting. It kept on doing this, the side cover was off at the time.
> the thermal paste was ok.

Go into the settings and disable reboot on error. Maybe you'll get a blue
screen with a clue. Also check your system event log.

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
#8 AUK Hate Machine Cog
COOSN-266-06-25794

amar586

On 29 May, 15:22, Meat Plow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 May 2007 07:10:12 -0700, amar586 wrote:

> >> Perhaps, open up one side cover and see what happens. Does it still
> >> reboot? Again, when you change motherboard and plug the processor into
> >> the new m/b did you notice the condition of the thermal compound ?

> >> -Hung- Hide quoted text -

> > Yesrterday moring i used the pc for 1 hour and it was fine, i went
> > back on the pc in the evening and it kept on starting up and
> > rebooting. It kept on doing this, the side cover was off at the time.
> > the thermal paste was ok.

> Go into the settings and disable reboot on error. Maybe you'll get a blue
> screen with a clue. Also check your system event log.
>
> --
> #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
> #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
> #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
> #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
> #8 AUK Hate Machine Cog
> COOSN-266-06-25794- Hide quoted text -

when you mean go into setting is that the BIOS