Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Pix content filtering

Pix content filtering

Alex

hi, am currently working at a company with a very low budget and am
trying to implement a internet content filtering system, the company
has a pix 506e.
I was just wondering if anyone has come across a free solution?

thanks

Alex

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
Alex <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>hi, am currently working at a company with a very low budget and am
>trying to implement a internet content filtering system, the company
>has a pix 506e.
>I was just wondering if anyone has come across a free solution?

The PIX 506e is restricted to PIX 6 (in particular, PIX 7 is not
supported on it.) PIX 6 has very little in the way of built in
content filtering; what it does have requires the (expensive)
third party products WebSense or N2H2. I am not aware of any
free or low-cost replacements for either of them.

In a low-budget situation with that particular model, you might
be best off restricting outgoing connections to be permitted only
from one particular system, and have that system run squid
or other proxy software to do the filtering for you; the internal
systems would have to be configured to get their content from
the proxy system. This may cause problems with HTTPS connections.

sircco

Try dansguardian open source solution, you can put route-map for
just port 80 and 443 with next-hop your dansguardian server.
We have that implemented in my ISP, if you have any more questions please
use my mail address.

Damir

sircco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Try dansguardian open source solution, you can put route-map for
>just port 80 and 443 with next-hop your dansguardian server.

Not with a PIX 506E you cannot. The only kind of route-maps
supported on a PIX 506E are for OSPF, and the ACLs for these
limited route-maps only support IP level without any port specification.

rseans@gmail.com

We use safesquid free edition, which serves our purpose.
Easy installation, GUI interface for easy management, good filtering
options and forum based support. If you require additional features,
you may also opt for the commercial editions.

Download the free edition from http://downloads.safesquid.net/free/
Requires registering on the forum at http://www.safesquid.com/forum

Cheers.
Sean.

Reading Binary Content from a File and Filtering it Neo ASP .Net 0 06-29-2005 05:05 PM
SSL content filtering Benson Cisco 0 02-24-2005 07:37 AM
filtering ipsec traffic pix to pix Martin Eden Cisco 2 01-14-2004 12:22 PM
content filtering Steve UK Computer Security 4 09-09-2003 07:11 AM

Advertisments