Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Switching from Vista 32bit to 64bit..

Switching from Vista 32bit to 64bit..

=?Utf-8?B?UG9ya2Nob3A=?=

If I buy Vista Ultimate full version and install the 32-bit version and later
on decide to upgrade to 64-bit version will it cost anything extra ?

pvdg42

"Porkchop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I buy Vista Ultimate full version and install the 32-bit version and
> later
> on decide to upgrade to 64-bit version will it cost anything extra ?

Not as long as you replace the existing 32 bit installation with the 64 bit
installation. IOW, one license, one installation.

=?Utf-8?B?Ym9ibyBjaGFu?=

Hi all,

need to ask some question.
can't create new thread because my 64 bit explorer block pop up.

i use 64 bit vista and use nvidia 6600
i already upgrade age of empire III and company of heroes online.
but i still can't play the games because it's always crash in the middle of
the game.

is it because my 64 bit?
should i change to 32 bit?

thanks

"Porkchop" wrote:

> If I buy Vista Ultimate full version and install the 32-bit version and later
> on decide to upgrade to 64-bit version will it cost anything extra ?

Charlie Russel - MVP

No, you should be fine. You must, of course, remove the existing 32-bit.
It's a single license only, but you can choose which you install. (Note that
this is ONLY true of teh Retail version, not the OEM. The OEM is more
limited.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Porkchop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I buy Vista Ultimate full version and install the 32-bit version and
> later
> on decide to upgrade to 64-bit version will it cost anything extra ?

John Barnes

There have been problems with the nVidia video drivers, which continues. I
have no idea if the 32-bit drivers that you would use with Vista32 would be
any better. I would doubt it.

"bobo chan" <bobo http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> need to ask some question.
> can't create new thread because my 64 bit explorer block pop up.
>
> i use 64 bit vista and use nvidia 6600
> i already upgrade age of empire III and company of heroes online.
> but i still can't play the games because it's always crash in the middle
> of
> the game.
>
> is it because my 64 bit?
> should i change to 32 bit?
>
> thanks
>

> "Porkchop" wrote:
>
>> If I buy Vista Ultimate full version and install the 32-bit version and
>> later
>> on decide to upgrade to 64-bit version will it cost anything extra ?

=?Utf-8?B?SXZheWxv?=

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> No, you should be fine. You must, of course, remove the existing 32-bit.
> It's a single license only, but you can choose which you install. (Note that
> this is ONLY true of teh Retail version, not the OEM. The OEM is more
> limited.)

I bought an IBM T61. It comes with ultimate 32 bit, but I would like to
install Vista ultimate 64. You said before that the license should work for
the machine no matter what version it is running. So you think I can borrow
vista ultimate 64 DVD and install it on my computer using the key that came
with it?
Thanks

Theo

The version on your computer is most likely OEM and the
rules are significantly different for OEM vs Retail. You
need to contact IBM about your situation. Or, you can buy a
Retail version. An OEM product key will not work with a
Retail DVD.

In fact, there doesn't appear to be any x64 support from
Lenovo for your laptop. Check the downloads for drivers.

Ivaylo wrote:

> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> No, you should be fine. You must, of course, remove the existing 32-bit.
>> It's a single license only, but you can choose which you install. (Note that
>> this is ONLY true of the Retail version, not the OEM. The OEM is more
>> limited.)

> I bought an IBM T61. It comes with ultimate 32 bit, but I would like to
> install Vista ultimate 64. You said before that the license should work for
> the machine no matter what version it is running. So you think I can borrow
> vista ultimate 64 DVD and install it on my computer using the key that came
> with it?
> Thanks

Theo

I guess I must retract part of my statement. I didn't see
any x64 listings in the operating system choices, but when I
selected Vista I did find Vista x64 software and drivers.
However, you're still stuck with the OEM version and the
best thing to do is see if you can purchase an upgrade from
Lenovo so you don't void your warranty.

Theo wrote:
> The version on your computer is most likely OEM and the rules are
> significantly different for OEM vs Retail. You need to contact IBM
> about your situation. Or, you can buy a Retail version. An OEM product
> key will not work with a Retail DVD.
>
> In fact, there doesn't appear to be any x64 support from Lenovo for your
> laptop. Check the downloads for drivers.
>
> Ivaylo wrote:
>>
>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>>
>>> No, you should be fine. You must, of course, remove the existing
>>> 32-bit. It's a single license only, but you can choose which you
>>> install. (Note that this is ONLY true of the Retail version, not the
>>> OEM. The OEM is more limited.)

>> I bought an IBM T61. It comes with ultimate 32 bit, but I would like
>> to install Vista ultimate 64. You said before that the license should
>> work for the machine no matter what version it is running. So you
>> think I can borrow vista ultimate 64 DVD and install it on my computer
>> using the key that came with it?
>> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?SXZheWxv?=

I spoke with Lenovo, and they said that they can install only the 32 bit
version. If I want I can purchase the 64k version separately. How sure are
you that the license key would not work with retail 64 bit DVD? And do you
know what MIcrosoft thinks in situations like that? Maybe they will let me
download the 64 version for free....
I already upgraded to Vista ultimate and I don't want to buy the same thing
twice by purchasing the 64 version. If that is the only way, I would just
install Linux Suse.

Thanks

"Theo" wrote:

> I guess I must retract part of my statement. I didn't see
> any x64 listings in the operating system choices, but when I
> selected Vista I did find Vista x64 software and drivers.
> However, you're still stuck with the OEM version and the
> best thing to do is see if you can purchase an upgrade from
> Lenovo so you don't void your warranty.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Microsoft is very clear about this. OEM versions, including Ultimate, are
single architecture ONLY. That means no cross-over. RETAIL versions are both
architectures.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64