Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Switching from Vista 32bit to 64bit..

Switching from Vista 32bit to 64bit..

John Barnes

Good luck with Linux. Your best option is to stay with Vista86. There is
very little if any benefit for most to switch to 64-bit processing.

"Ivaylo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I spoke with Lenovo, and they said that they can install only the 32 bit
> version. If I want I can purchase the 64k version separately. How sure are
> you that the license key would not work with retail 64 bit DVD? And do you
> know what MIcrosoft thinks in situations like that? Maybe they will let me
> download the 64 version for free....
> I already upgraded to Vista ultimate and I don't want to buy the same
> thing
> twice by purchasing the 64 version. If that is the only way, I would just
> install Linux Suse.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Theo" wrote:
>
>> I guess I must retract part of my statement. I didn't see
>> any x64 listings in the operating system choices, but when I
>> selected Vista I did find Vista x64 software and drivers.
>> However, you're still stuck with the OEM version and the
>> best thing to do is see if you can purchase an upgrade from
>> Lenovo so you don't void your warranty.

=?Utf-8?B?SXZheWxv?=

First, I want to be 100% sure that there is no way for me to get Vista
ultimate 64 without paying any extra for it. If there is no other way, I will
still use the 32 version, but I will also dual boot it to Suse for the 64 bit
needs.
I just need to find out if the OEM license is for 32 version or it could be
also used for the 64, just like the commercial one.

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Good luck with Linux. Your best option is to stay with Vista86. There is
> very little if any benefit for most to switch to 64-bit processing.

Theo

The general consensus is that you need a different key for
the 64-bit OEM version. However, the best way to prove it
is to find an OEM disc and try your key.

Ivaylo wrote:
> First, I want to be 100% sure that there is no way for me to get Vista
> ultimate 64 without paying any extra for it. If there is no other way, I will
> still use the 32 version, but I will also dual boot it to Suse for the 64 bit
> needs.
> I just need to find out if the OEM license is for 32 version or it could be
> also used for the 64, just like the commercial one.
>

> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> Good luck with Linux. Your best option is to stay with Vista86. There is
>> very little if any benefit for most to switch to 64-bit processing.

John Barnes

There is at least one person in the Vista newsgroup that claims to have had
it work, so take Theo's advice. It is not in accordance with the OEM
license, if you care.
Also, a couple of posters have said that Microsoft did cooperate with the
OEM, so if you have any leverage with your vendor, you should apply it. You
can also call Microsoft as they sometimes will cooperate, though they have
no obligation to.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...