Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python command line error

Python command line error

Mick Duprez

Hi All,

I've installed Python 2.5 on a number of machines but on one I'm
having problems with the CLI.
If I fire up the 'cmd' dos box and type 'python' I get a line of
gibberish and it locks up the cli, if I run the 'command' dos box I
get a few lines of garbage and it crashes/closes the dos box.

I've tried a re-install, checked my system paths etc but I can't get
it to work, it works ok for running scripts from a dbl click in
explorer for instance and from Idle, I just can't run scripts from the
command line.

I have installed -
xp pro sp2
Python25
wxPython2.8 unicode
PIL
numpy

any clues to what's causing this behavior?
tia,
Mick.

Max Erickson

Mick Duprez <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've installed Python 2.5 on a number of machines but on one I'm
> having problems with the CLI.
> If I fire up the 'cmd' dos box and type 'python' I get a line of
> gibberish and it locks up the cli, if I run the 'command' dos box
> I get a few lines of garbage and it crashes/closes the dos box.
>
> I've tried a re-install, checked my system paths etc but I can't
> get it to work, it works ok for running scripts from a dbl click
> in explorer for instance and from Idle, I just can't run scripts
> from the command line.
>
> I have installed -
> xp pro sp2
> Python25
> wxPython2.8 unicode
> PIL
> numpy
>
> any clues to what's causing this behavior?
> tia,
> Mick.

What kind of gibberish? Actual garbage characters and the like?

Anyway, maybe try running which; this one should be easy to get
going:

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/which.htm

But I have never used it, I use the one in this package:

http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/

It expects 'python.exe' or whatever, not just 'python', I would
expect the gnuwin32 version to behave similarly.

max

Mick Duprez

On May 29, 11:33 am, Max Erickson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Mick Duprez <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Hi All,

> > I've installed Python 2.5 on a number of machines but on one I'm
> > having problems with the CLI.
> > If I fire up the 'cmd' dos box and type 'python' I get a line of
> > gibberish and it locks up the cli, if I run the 'command' dos box
> > I get a few lines of garbage and it crashes/closes the dos box.

> > I've tried a re-install, checked my system paths etc but I can't
> > get it to work, it works ok for running scripts from a dbl click
> > in explorer for instance and from Idle, I just can't run scripts
> > from the command line.

> > I have installed -
> > xp pro sp2
> > Python25
> > wxPython2.8 unicode
> > PIL
> > numpy

> > any clues to what's causing this behavior?
> > tia,
> > Mick.

> What kind of gibberish? Actual garbage characters and the like?
>
> Anyway, maybe try running which; this one should be easy to get
> going:
>
> http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/which.htm
>
> But I have never used it, I use the one in this package:
>
> http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/
>
> It expects 'python.exe' or whatever, not just 'python', I would
> expect the gnuwin32 version to behave similarly.
>
> max

Thanks Max, I just worked it out just before I read your post...doh!
I have cygwin on this machine also and the cygwin/bin path was before
the Python25 path so it was playing up, I put the Python25 path before
the cygwin stuff and it's fixed.
It's always something simple!
Cheers,
Mick.