Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > [OT maybe] ActiveX / .Net

[OT maybe] ActiveX / .Net

Rob

Hi all,

I'd like to try my hand at something slightly different, I would like
to write a widget similar to the Microsoft Update widget, ok, not
quite so clever admittedly, but I want to create something that will
enable my browser to talk with the client PC, lets say to just list
some files on the screen to start with...where do I start? I was
assuming that it would be an activeX control, but I just dont seem to
be able to find anything online for how to go about creating "my
first..." etc...

Any help would be really appreciated, I work for the NHS in the UK and
in our organisation this would be of tremendous use if I could create
something, however small initially.

Best regards

Rob

Mark Rae

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> Any help would be really appreciated

Google is your friend:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...%23%22+ActiveX

--
http://www.markrae.net

Rob

Mark Rae" wrote:

> Google is your friend:http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...-GB&ie=UTF-8&r...

LOL - thanks Mark, ironically I had been using Google, but clearly
with too many words!

Just to check, ActiveX is what I want isn't it - ie, to communicate
between code on the client PC and the server via the browser?

Regards

Rob

Mark Rae

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Just to check, ActiveX is what I want isn't it - ie, to communicate
> between code on the client PC and the server via the browser?

Either ActiveX or a Java applet...

Bear in mind, though, that you'll have to seriously ramp down your
security...

What are you actually trying to achieve...?

--
http://www.markrae.net

Rob

Mark Rae wrote:

> Either ActiveX or a Java applet...

ActiveX it is then..

> Bear in mind, though, that you'll have to seriously ramp down your security...

That shouldn't be a problem, in the NHS we're behind about a bazillion
firewalls and stuff so I'm not too worried about that..

> What are you actually trying to achieve...?

To be honest, initially I just want to get something really small and
stupid working, a nice little "Hello World" will suffice, after that,
well, who knows - I'll see how I get on...thanks for your help..

Regards

Rob

Mark Rae

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

>> What are you actually trying to achieve...?

> To be honest, initially I just want to get something really small and
> stupid working, a nice little "Hello World" will suffice, after that,
> well, who knows - I'll see how I get on...thanks for your help..

Please don't be offended by this, but you've got this 100% backwards...

One of the biggest mistake you can make is to discover a technology and then
go looking for a problem for it to solve...

Business requirements need to drive IT solutions - not the other way
round...

--
http://www.markrae.net