Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Upgrade Windows XP Professional 32bit to 64bit

Upgrade Windows XP Professional 32bit to 64bit

John Barnes

Yes, see Colin's reply for the other items lost. The partition with Vista on
it must be hidden or encrypted.

"Mardon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns993FAC4E517Cmgb72mgbhotmailcom@207.46.248. 16...
> "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Restore points, etc. are only lost on Vista. Those in XP are
>> untouched. If this is an upgrade version there is the problem
>> with needing licenses for both systems. Upgrade versions subsume
>> the XP license and therefore it cannot legally be reinstalled.

> Are the Vista restore points lost by dual booting with XP even when
> each OS is on its on HD? Licensing was not an issue for me. My Vista
> x64 was not an upgrade purchase.

Mardon

"Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I do not agree. Dual booting XP and Vista will cause the loss of
> Vista's restore points, shadow copies, backups, and anything else
> that relies on the Vista VSS driver each time you boot into XP.

I'm no computer expert but I'm still having a hard time understanding
why Vista's restore points would be lost when bootting into XP on a
dual boot system like mine, where each OS is on a separate physical
drive. The boot drive is always assigned Drive letter C:, even
though the boot drive is a different physical drive depending on which
OS is booted. When Vista boots to drive C:, the XP volsnap.sys file is
on drive D:, a separate physical drive. How can that affect the Vista
restore points?

Mardon

"John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Yes, see Colin's reply for the other items lost. The partition
> with Vista on it must be hidden or encrypted.

I'm not talking about a partition, I'm talking about a seperate
physical drive that is assigned a different drive letter during boot.
See my reply to Colin.

John Barnes

It doesn't matter that the partition is on the same or different physical
drives. Colin is correct and my comment about what needs to be done to
prevent data loss stands. The way you installed may have resulted in both
being C drives, but that is not always the case.

"Mardon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9940C528925F6mgb72mgbhotmailcom@207.46.248 .16...
> "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Yes, see Colin's reply for the other items lost. The partition
>> with Vista on it must be hidden or encrypted.

> I'm not talking about a partition, I'm talking about a seperate
> physical drive that is assigned a different drive letter during boot.
> See my reply to Colin.

Rita Chaudhary

www.ekosh.uk.in

> On Monday, May 28, 2007 3:44 PM wubing wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'd like to try Windows XP Professional 64 bit for my CAD program access
> more then 4GB memory. Can I use 32 bit OEM product key to install and
> activate 64 bit Windows XP professional?

>> On Monday, May 28, 2007 6:55 PM John Barnes wrote:

>> No

>>> On Monday, May 28, 2007 7:01 PM mikeyhsd wrote:

>>> This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
>>>
>>> ------=_NextPart_000_02C4_01C7A152.49433540
>>>
>>> there is NO upgrade path from 32 bit to 64 bit.
>>> not even for vista, much less xp.
>>>

>>> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
>>>

>>> "wubing" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message =
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I'd like to try Windows XP Professional 64 bit for my CAD program =
>>> access=20
>>> more then 4GB memory. Can I use 32 bit OEM product key to install and=20
>>> activate 64 bit Windows XP professional?
>>> ------=_NextPart_000_02C4_01C7A152.49433540
>>>
>>> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
>>> <HTML><HEAD>
>>> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
>>> charset=3Diso-8859-1">
>>> <META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.6000.16448" name=3DGENERATOR>
>>> <STYLE></STYLE>
>>> </HEAD>
>>> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
>>> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>there is NO upgrade path from 32 bit to =
>>> 64=20
>>> bit.</FONT></DIV>
>>> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>not even for vista, much less =
>>> xp.</FONT></DIV>
>>> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
>>> <DIV>
>>> <P>&nbsp;</P>
>>> <P><FONT color=3D#ff0000>
>>> <MARQUEE scrollAmount=3D2 scrollDelay=3D9 behavior=3Dalternate =
>>> width=3D"35%"=20
>>> bgColor=3D#ffff00 height=3D22><A=20
>>> href=3D"(E-Mail Removed)">mikeyhsd@comc ast.net</A></MARQUEE></=
>>> FONT></P>
>>> <P>&nbsp;</P></DIV>
>>> <BLOCKQUOTE=20
>>> style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
>>> BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
>>> <DIV>"wubing" &lt;<A=20
>>> href=3D"(E-Mail Removed)">wubing@hotmail. com</A>&gt; wrote in =
>>> message=20
>>> <A=20
>>> =
>>> href=3D"news:(E-Mail Removed) ">news:OS4NUCWoHHA.2596=
>>> @TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl</A>...</DIV>Hi=20
>>> All,<BR><BR>I'd like to try Windows XP Professional 64 bit for my CAD =
>>> program=20
>>> access <BR>more then 4GB memory. Can I use 32 bit OEM product key to =
>>> install=20
>>> and <BR>activate 64 bit Windows XP =
>>> professional?</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
>>>
>>> ------=_NextPart_000_02C4_01C7A152.49433540--

Rita Chaudhary

www.ekosh.uk.gov.in