Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > emachine keyboard 6y 5t

emachine keyboard 6y 5t

hunty

I have a emachine laptop 2352
When I type the 5 key I get 5t
when I type the t key I get the 5t
When I type the 6 key I get 6y
When I type the y key I get 6y
I have switche keyboards but does the same thing
There was some liquid spilled on the laptop
Everything else works
I have also formatted and reinstalled windows xp to factory specs
Thanks

WhzzKdd

"hunty" <hobojunk.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a emachine laptop 2352
> When I type the 5 key I get 5t
> when I type the t key I get the 5t
> When I type the 6 key I get 6y
> When I type the y key I get 6y
> I have switche keyboards but does the same thing
> There was some liquid spilled on the laptop
> Everything else works
> I have also formatted and reinstalled windows xp to factory specs
> Thanks

Back in the early days of the IBM (and compatible) PCs there was an
integrated circuit located very near to the keyboard input. It was the
"interpreter" you might say. Keyboards don't have a pair of wires for every
key on the keyboard: they are matrixed so that they can get the signals down
to a manageble number, then they are further processed so that the signals
can be sent across the 5 wire connection used. The circuit in the PC then
had to reverse the process so that the computer could understand what key
has been pressed.

Back then when I had problems like you are describing, I removed and
replaced that integrated circuit. Nowadays, I'd bet that even if the circuit
is not built-in to some other larger circuitry (motherboard chips are
extremely multi-function), it would be surface soldered, and practically
impossible to replace.

If your keyboards work correctly on a DIFFERENT computer, then you have a
blown motherboard and need to go shopping.

meerkat

news:1Aj6i.1799$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "hunty" <hobojunk.gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a emachine laptop 2352
>> When I type the 5 key I get 5t
>> when I type the t key I get the 5t
>> When I type the 6 key I get 6y
>> When I type the y key I get 6y
>> I have switche keyboards but does the same thing
>> There was some liquid spilled on the laptop
>> Everything else works
>> I have also formatted and reinstalled windows xp to factory specs
>> Thanks
>>

> Back in the early days of the IBM (and compatible) PCs there was an
> integrated circuit located very near to the keyboard input. It was the
> "interpreter" you might say. Keyboards don't have a pair of wires for
> every key on the keyboard: they are matrixed so that they can get the
> signals down to a manageble number, then they are further processed so
> that the signals can be sent across the 5 wire connection used. The
> circuit in the PC then had to reverse the process so that the computer
> could understand what key has been pressed.
>
> Back then when I had problems like you are describing, I removed and
> replaced that integrated circuit. Nowadays, I'd bet that even if the
> circuit is not built-in to some other larger circuitry (motherboard chips
> are extremely multi-function), it would be surface soldered, and
> practically impossible to replace.
>
> If your keyboards work correctly on a DIFFERENT computer, then you have a
> blown motherboard and need to go shopping.

"There was some liquid spilled on the laptop".
It`s a Laptop.

WhzzKdd

"meerkat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:I8k6i.2190$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
> news:1Aj6i.1799$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "hunty" <hobojunk.gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I have a emachine laptop 2352
>>> When I type the 5 key I get 5t
>>> when I type the t key I get the 5t
>>> When I type the 6 key I get 6y
>>> When I type the y key I get 6y
>>> I have switche keyboards but does the same thing
>>> There was some liquid spilled on the laptop
>>> Everything else works
>>> I have also formatted and reinstalled windows xp to factory specs
>>> Thanks
>>>

>> Back in the early days of the IBM (and compatible) PCs there was an
>> integrated circuit located very near to the keyboard input. It was the
>> "interpreter" you might say. Keyboards don't have a pair of wires for
>> every key on the keyboard: they are matrixed so that they can get the
>> signals down to a manageble number, then they are further processed so
>> that the signals can be sent across the 5 wire connection used. The
>> circuit in the PC then had to reverse the process so that the computer
>> could understand what key has been pressed.
>>
>> Back then when I had problems like you are describing, I removed and
>> replaced that integrated circuit. Nowadays, I'd bet that even if the
>> circuit is not built-in to some other larger circuitry (motherboard chips
>> are extremely multi-function), it would be surface soldered, and
>> practically impossible to replace.
>>
>> If your keyboards work correctly on a DIFFERENT computer, then you have a
>> blown motherboard and need to go shopping.
>>

> "There was some liquid spilled on the laptop".
> It`s a Laptop.

Same thing - laptop keyboards are still matrixed and need processing to
identify the actual key pressed. So the laptop probably needs a new
motherboard. Just more expensive to fix <grin>

Okay, so he can't try his keyboard out on a different PC. But he said he
tried another keyboard on the laptop, and it did the same thing. Not a good
sign.

I wonder if an external USB keyboard would behave differently?

Meat Plow

On Sun, 27 May 2007 11:47:37 -0500, hunty wrote:

> I have a emachine laptop 2352
> When I type the 5 key I get 5t
> when I type the t key I get the 5t
> When I type the 6 key I get 6y
> When I type the y key I get 6y
> I have switche keyboards but does the same thing
> There was some liquid spilled on the laptop
> Everything else works
> I have also formatted and reinstalled windows xp to factory specs
> Thanks

Have you tried a USB keyboard you little stinker?

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
#8 AUK Hate Machine Cog