Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Pentax Optio A-20

Pentax Optio A-20

Tony Hwang

Hi,
Anyone using it? Does it have optical view finder?
How do you like it?
Close to what I need if it has optical view finder.
TIA,
Tony

Bob Williams

Tony Hwang wrote:
> Hi,
> Anyone using it? Does it have optical view finder?
> How do you like it?
> Close to what I need if it has optical view finder.
> TIA,
> Tony

Nope! No optical viewfinder. And the screen is very difficult to see in
full sunlight. To me it is amazing and unforgivable that manufacturers
leave out an optical viewfinder.
They load up newer models with noisy pixels which are practically
worthless and leave out an optical finder which is very useful and adds
significantly to battery life.
Geeeezzz! How much could it cost to add an OVF?
See what Phil has to say about it.
Bob Williams
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxa20/page8.asp

Chuck

The big problem is to make the focus point the same between the sensor plane
and the optical viewfinder.
This was a long standing complaint with the rangefinding non ttl viewfinders
used on many cameras over the years.

"Bob Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FX96i.140700$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tony Hwang wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Anyone using it? Does it have optical view finder?
> > How do you like it?
> > Close to what I need if it has optical view finder.
> > TIA,
> > Tony

> Nope! No optical viewfinder. And the screen is very difficult to see in
> full sunlight. To me it is amazing and unforgivable that manufacturers
> leave out an optical viewfinder.
> They load up newer models with noisy pixels which are practically
> worthless and leave out an optical finder which is very useful and adds
> significantly to battery life.
> Geeeezzz! How much could it cost to add an OVF?
> See what Phil has to say about it.
> Bob Williams
> > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxa20/page8.asp

Bob Williams

Yes! Parallax is a serious shortcoming of OVFs in close up photography.
The closer one gets, the more serious the problem becomes.
However, at distances greater than about 10 feet, the problem is minor
and for landscape photography it is a non-problem.
Big LCDs are nice to view the shots you already took but in bright
sunlight most LCDs are very difficult to use for accurate composition.
Bob Williams