Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > DVD drive not working anymore, how to fix it ?

DVD drive not working anymore, how to fix it ?

Skybuck Flying

Hello,

I deleted some drivers, which were reported in event log to be not loaded
because of compatibility problems, however it now turns out they were needed
after all !

Result: DVD drive not working anymore ?!

I have deinstalled Nero software to help fix the problem.

There are now two problems remaining it seems:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 27-5-2007
Time: 4:37:59
User: N/A
Computer: CP1098857-A
The tmcomm service failed to start due to the following error:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7026
Date: 27-5-2007
Time: 4:37:59
User: N/A
Computer: CP1098857-A
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
Cdrom
InCDPass

I also tried deinstalling the dvd driver to force windows to redetect it but
that does not help.

Strangely enough now suddenly my flash drive is working again, could be
another unrelated issue but still

Also how do I get rid of the Trend Micro thingy ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

Ok,

I followed this link:

"
Method 2: Manually delete the registry entries
Important This article contains information about how to modify the
registry. Make sure that you back up the registry before you modify it. Make
sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more
information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click
the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
Base:
256986 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986/) Description of the
Microsoft Windows registry
Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly
by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might
require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee
that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.Log
on to Windows by using an account that has administrator rights and
permissions. Then, follow these steps.
Step 1: Start Registry Editor
Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK. Registry Editor
starts.
Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters registry entry
1.In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2.Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
3.Expand Control, and then expand Class.
4.Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
5.In the right pane (topic area), click UpperFilters.

Note An UpperFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the
UpperFilters registry entry, you must click UpperFilters and not
UpperFilters.bak.
6.On the Edit menu, click Delete.
7.When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion
of the UpperFilters registry entry:
Are you sure you want to delete this value?
The UpperFilters registry entry is removed from the
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.

Note Do not exit Registry Editor. You must have this program for the next
step.
Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry
1.In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2.Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
3.Expand Control, and then expand Class.
4.Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
5.In the right pane (topic area), click LowerFilters.

Note An LowerFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the
LowerFilters registry entry, you must click LowerFilters and not
LowerFilters.bak.
6.On the Edit menu, click Delete.
7.When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion
of the LowerFilters registry entry:
Are you sure you want to delete this value?
The LowerFilters registry entry is removed from the
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.
8.Exit Registry Editor.

Step 4: Restart the computer
If a CD recording program no longer works after you restart the computer,
you must reinstall the CD recording program.
Back to the top
"

However I did it wrong

I tried to delete the entire key:

{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.

I think some stuff was deleted... but finally it said. "can't delete key".

Then I also deleted the upper and lower stuff as I was supposed to do.

I also noticed it was referring to the Gear driver which I also deleted so
this might be indeed the problem.

Now going to reboot to see if windows finds the dvd drive again.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

Ok,

The DVD drive is working again, as well as my flash drives, as well as
deamon tools =D

Everything is working again =D

Me very happy again =D

Now I don't need to wreck my system any further =D

This fixed the problem =D

Also during the reboot I waited until it saved the settings.

Now I will disable all the auditting because maybe that cause the long
save... or maybe it's because I edited the registry and it had to be saved
or something.

Well, thanks to the people in this newsgroup, because this is something I
would not have easily figured out, maybe even never ! =D

I guess this newsgroup is usefull after all =D * =DDDDD

BYE,
BYYEEEE
Skybuck

Wieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee =D

Skybuck Flying

By the way,

I also set the user driver framework service to automatic... just in case
that's causing the shutdown problem.

Maybe some user mode driver can't shutdown properly...

Maybe this also brought back the dvd... but probably not..

The registry "fix" probably fixed it =D

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

Hmm that's interesting.

After installing Nero 6 and InCD and InCD reader and moving the drivers to a
special folder the dvd drive is not detected anymore.

I'll move the drivers back and see if that fixes the problem.

I could ofcourse use the registry fix again but ok.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

Ok that fixed the problem. (moving drivers back to original positions...
I'll guess I'll have to accept the error messages or so, or maybe find new
version of nero or so which has better/compatiblity drivers)

This filter stuff sounds like some kind of driver "static" chaining going on
via the registry, "static" in the sense of: registry specifies the "chain".

But since the driver file is missing, the chain is broken.

Windows does not automatically fix/repair the chain <- that would be
making a dynamic chain at runtime... creating a proper chain

Bye,
Skybuck.