Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > canon powershot s70 busted!

Reply
Thread Tools

canon powershot s70 busted!

 
 
dmedhora@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-26-2007
Hi All,

I've owned a canon powershot s70 for about 1 year + 1 month now.
Yeah, 1 month above the usual warranty period.

Ever since I got this camera I loved it ( and hated it ).

Its great, almost like a slow mini SLR but it oh so unreliable!

Apart from the miniscule battery life, the camera often just
wouldn't start up and there'd go the one shot I really wanted.

On opening the door covering the lens if the lens would not
come out it would probably mean some dust/dirt behind the
door. So some blowing inside it would solve the problem.

But on a recent trip to a desert, the sandy air and wind around
me busted this camera so bad that its absolutely ded!

Symptoms:
The lens is stuck. I was about to take a shot, so I switched
on the camera. The lens whirred out and thats it. It died.
The shutter release stopped working.

No power. Even with a full battery pressing any button doesn't
power up the camera. Nor does the lens door do anything.

I huffed and puffed and blew real hard between the door and body
of this camera. Even pampered the contacts with lens cleaning
solution. But no hope. Canon refuses to repair it as its 1 month
past 1 year that I bought it.

Is there anything I can do?
Thanks!
-D

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Chuck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-27-2007
Canon refuses to repair it for free after the warrenty is history. So what
else is new!
If it bothers you, don't buy a Canon camera again.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi All,
>
> I've owned a canon powershot s70 for about 1 year + 1 month now.
> Yeah, 1 month above the usual warranty period.
>
> Ever since I got this camera I loved it ( and hated it ).
>
> Its great, almost like a slow mini SLR but it oh so unreliable!
>
> Apart from the miniscule battery life, the camera often just
> wouldn't start up and there'd go the one shot I really wanted.
>
> On opening the door covering the lens if the lens would not
> come out it would probably mean some dust/dirt behind the
> door. So some blowing inside it would solve the problem.
>
> But on a recent trip to a desert, the sandy air and wind around
> me busted this camera so bad that its absolutely ded!
>
> Symptoms:
> The lens is stuck. I was about to take a shot, so I switched
> on the camera. The lens whirred out and thats it. It died.
> The shutter release stopped working.
>
> No power. Even with a full battery pressing any button doesn't
> power up the camera. Nor does the lens door do anything.
>
> I huffed and puffed and blew real hard between the door and body
> of this camera. Even pampered the contacts with lens cleaning
> solution. But no hope. Canon refuses to repair it as its 1 month
> past 1 year that I bought it.
>
> Is there anything I can do?
> Thanks!
> -D
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
megapix
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-28-2007
On May 26, 5:14 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've owned a canon powershot s70 for about 1 year + 1 month now.
> Yeah, 1 month above the usual warranty period.
>
> Ever since I got this camera I loved it ( and hated it ).
>
> Its great, almost like a slow mini SLR but it oh so unreliable!
>
> Apart from the miniscule battery life, the camera often just
> wouldn't start up and there'd go the one shot I really wanted.
>
> On opening the door covering the lens if the lens would not
> come out it would probably mean some dust/dirt behind the
> door. So some blowing inside it would solve the problem.
>
> But on a recent trip to a desert, the sandy air and wind around
> me busted this camera so bad that its absolutely ded!
>
> Symptoms:
> The lens is stuck. I was about to take a shot, so I switched
> on the camera. The lens whirred out and thats it. It died.
> The shutter release stopped working.
>
> No power. Even with a full battery pressing any button doesn't
> power up the camera. Nor does the lens door do anything.
>
> I huffed and puffed and blew real hard between the door and body
> of this camera. Even pampered the contacts with lens cleaning
> solution. But no hope. Canon refuses to repair it as its 1 month
> past 1 year that I bought it.
>
> Is there anything I can do?
> Thanks!
> -D


Buy a new camera. You are the one not Canon that should pay for the
repair. Canon's warr. is for defects only, not breakage. The symptoms
you report sound like dirt/dust around lens or slight impact damage.
Canon does more for their customers when it comes to repair than any
other manufacture.

 
Reply With Quote
 
dmedhora@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-28-2007
On 28 May, 13:09, megapix <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On May 26, 5:14 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > Hi All,

>
> > I've owned a canon powershot s70 for about 1 year + 1 month now.
> > Yeah, 1 month above the usual warranty period.

>
> > Ever since I got this camera I loved it ( and hated it ).

>
> > Its great, almost like a slow mini SLR but it oh so unreliable!

>
> > Apart from the miniscule battery life, the camera often just
> > wouldn't start up and there'd go the one shot I really wanted.

>
> > On opening the door covering the lens if the lens would not
> > come out it would probably mean some dust/dirt behind the
> > door. So some blowing inside it would solve the problem.

>
> > But on a recent trip to a desert, the sandy air and wind around
> > me busted this camera so bad that its absolutely ded!

>
> > Symptoms:
> > The lens is stuck. I was about to take a shot, so I switched
> > on the camera. The lens whirred out and thats it. It died.
> > The shutter release stopped working.

>
> > No power. Even with a full battery pressing any button doesn't
> > power up the camera. Nor does the lens door do anything.

>
> > I huffed and puffed and blew real hard between the door and body
> > of this camera. Even pampered the contacts with lens cleaning
> > solution. But no hope. Canon refuses to repair it as its 1 month
> > past 1 year that I bought it.

>
> > Is there anything I can do?
> > Thanks!
> > -D

>
> Buy a new camera. You are the one not Canon that should pay for the
> repair. Canon's warr. is for defects only, not breakage. The symptoms
> you report sound like dirt/dust around lens or slight impact damage.
> Canon does more for their customers when it comes to repair than any
> other manufacture.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -


Well actually there really wasn't ever any impact damage. In fact
throughout
my use of this camera, even in cold weather and snowy places, or just
normal places, the door of the camera would not zoom out the lens.
Its real sensitive to dust. For example if I would put it in my coat
pocket
and there would be some dust in there, it would affect the camera.

I would like to ask whether it would be easy for me to open the camera
on my own, clean it out and then try it out.

What do you think is gone bad at the moment? There just doesn't seem
to be any power. Its d.e.d.
Is this a short circuit or electrical problem? Or a cleaning problem ?
And can I like fix it myself?
Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
 
BUDMIKE6546 BUDMIKE6546 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1
 
      05-29-2007
Mine just did the same thing over the weekend. Called Canon and they said it must be a faulty switch and that I'd have to send it in. So, since it was not under warranty and I had them fix my S50 after I had opened it, I figured "why not". There are 4 screws on the right including the silver one for the tying on the hand cord and 4 on the left including one under the rubber boot and two on the bottom. After opening it gently, I found the switch which is small and white. I pressed it several times and it worked fine, so I assumed that it was the plastic bar (it will be obvious) that was not making contact. I gently bent the plastic a little forward so that it would make better contact. I replaced the screws and it is working fine.

Wish I could have taken digital pictures, but this is my only camera.

Mike
 

Last edited by BUDMIKE6546; 05-29-2007 at 08:23 PM..
Reply With Quote
 
Miles
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-19-2007
* http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On 28 May, 13:09, megapix <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On May 26, 5:14 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>> I've owned a canon powershot s70 for about 1 year + 1 month now.
>>> Yeah, 1 month above the usual warranty period.
>>> Ever since I got this camera I loved it ( and hated it ).
>>> Its great, almost like a slow mini SLR but it oh so unreliable!
>>> Apart from the miniscule battery life, the camera often just
>>> wouldn't start up and there'd go the one shot I really wanted.
>>> On opening the door covering the lens if the lens would not
>>> come out it would probably mean some dust/dirt behind the
>>> door. So some blowing inside it would solve the problem.
>>> But on a recent trip to a desert, the sandy air and wind around
>>> me busted this camera so bad that its absolutely ded!
>>> Symptoms:
>>> The lens is stuck. I was about to take a shot, so I switched
>>> on the camera. The lens whirred out and thats it. It died.
>>> The shutter release stopped working.
>>> No power. Even with a full battery pressing any button doesn't
>>> power up the camera. Nor does the lens door do anything.
>>> I huffed and puffed and blew real hard between the door and body
>>> of this camera. Even pampered the contacts with lens cleaning
>>> solution. But no hope. Canon refuses to repair it as its 1 month
>>> past 1 year that I bought it.
>>> Is there anything I can do?
>>> Thanks!
>>> -D

>> Buy a new camera. You are the one not Canon that should pay for the
>> repair. Canon's warr. is for defects only, not breakage. The symptoms
>> you report sound like dirt/dust around lens or slight impact damage.
>> Canon does more for their customers when it comes to repair than any
>> other manufacture.- Hide quoted text -
>>
>> - Show quoted text -

>
> Well actually there really wasn't ever any impact damage. In fact
> throughout
> my use of this camera, even in cold weather and snowy places, or just
> normal places, the door of the camera would not zoom out the lens.
> Its real sensitive to dust. For example if I would put it in my coat
> pocket
> and there would be some dust in there, it would affect the camera.
>
> I would like to ask whether it would be easy for me to open the camera
> on my own, clean it out and then try it out.
>
> What do you think is gone bad at the moment? There just doesn't seem
> to be any power. Its d.e.d.
> Is this a short circuit or electrical problem? Or a cleaning problem ?
> And can I like fix it myself?
> Thanks
>


I've been using an S70 for 2 years and without a problem. Of course, I
keep it in it's case along with a spare battery and memory. The case
unzips very quickly and then I simply throw the strap over my wrist and
snap away.
Miles
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canon powershot s70 or s80??? Chris Digital Photography 6 07-24-2006 08:02 AM
Canon Powershot s70 Burnell Stover Digital Photography 1 03-25-2005 06:41 PM
Canon Powershot S70 raw format and Adobe Photoshop CS Z Man Digital Photography 6 11-27-2004 12:09 AM
Stuck pixels on a Canon PowerShot S70 Peter Digital Photography 3 10-20-2004 05:19 PM
Canon PowerShot S70 Firmware Update to Fix E51 Error Scott Digital Photography 0 10-16-2004 12:14 AM



Advertisments