Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > [OT] Looking for new job: need advice

Reply
Thread Tools

[OT] Looking for new job: need advice

 
 
Some Dude
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2004
I'm about to complete my last exam before I become a MCSE on Windows
Server 2003. Currently, I'm in a PC Tech type of job. I won't bore
you with details, but lets say I think things are headed in the wrong
direction at my current job and I'm a bit bored in this position. I
would like to post my resume out there with the keyword MCSE in it
(bound to get a couple bites I assume), but I'm afraid my current
employer might find out by doing a resume search. Is there a way of
discreetly posting your resume while you continue to work for an
employer or no?

I also wonder how people get these administrator type of jobs. I've
tried the contracting route a few years ago and found out that these
types (Volt, Robert Half, Teksystems, etc) constantly lie through their
teeth and throw you crap work. This was before 9/11! I can only
imagine what they are like now.

I have a 4 year degree in a Computer Science and as noted above, soon
to be MCSE, along with current A+ and Security+ certifications. Maybe
I don't have the experience, but I certainly have the ambition and I
think the smarts to do a damn fine job.

No flaming MCNGPs please!

Thanks.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
catwalker63
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2004
Some Dude <(E-Mail Removed)> prattled ceaslessly in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Is there a way of discreetly posting your resume while you continue to
> work for an employer or no?
>
> I also wonder how people get these administrator type of jobs.
>


You'll either get it by paying your dues at the He!! Desk or you might
luck out and end up in it by accident. Network (with people) and you
will likely find a better job.

I don't personally recommend posting your resume to a searchable
database -- too much personal information that can be misused. Apply
directly for positions that interest you or try to network (this is with
people again) your way into a company that interests you.

--
Catwalker
aka Pu$$y Feet
BS, MCP

"Definitely not wearing any underwear."
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Some Dude
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2004
catwalker63 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns9587CBDF725Ecatwalker63athotmail@216.196.9 7.136:

> You'll either get it by paying your dues at the He!! Desk or you
> might luck out and end up in it by accident. Network (with
> people) and you will likely find a better job.


Trust me, I have paid my dues well over! I have spent a couple years in
He11 Desk type jobs. I have a few tech friends and so far, I have come
up with nothing, nada, zip. I did attend a community college to take
some Microsoft courses and the guys there were getting into company
positions via internships. Going back to the same college would be a
waste of my time and money as I already have a college degree (and they
were only offering associate degrees).
 
Reply With Quote
 
catwalker63
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2004
Some Dude <(E-Mail Removed)> prattled ceaslessly in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> catwalker63 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:Xns9587CBDF725Ecatwalker63athotmail@216.196.9 7.136:
>
>> You'll either get it by paying your dues at the He!! Desk or you
>> might luck out and end up in it by accident. Network (with
>> people) and you will likely find a better job.

>
> Trust me, I have paid my dues well over! I have spent a couple years in
> He11 Desk type jobs. I have a few tech friends and so far, I have come
> up with nothing, nada, zip. I did attend a community college to take
> some Microsoft courses and the guys there were getting into company
> positions via internships. Going back to the same college would be a
> waste of my time and money as I already have a college degree (and they
> were only offering associate degrees).
>


Networking is, unfortunately, more complicated than having a few tech
friends. The best way is to query everyone you know and ask them to come
up with one or two people you can contact for an information interview.
It's important not to ask these people for a job, but to come to them for
information about what they would look for in an incumbant and what you
can do to make yourself more marketable. Then you ask them to recommend
2 or more people and you set up the same type of meeting with them. And
so on, and so on, etc. etc., working your way to the people who make the
hiring decision. Eventually you will score, but it may take time. It's
all who you know so the more people you know, and more importantly, who
know you, the better chance you have. Make it clear that you are not
asking for a job and don't do anything during this meeting to make you a
liar in this respect. Keep the meeting short and show respect and
appreciation for their time.

Also, get your resume in shape. The old rules for resumes are out so you
may need to seek out some information about how to make your resume
current. You'll need to do some research on networking techniques,
interview skills, and salary negotiation, while you're at it. Get
together a list of companies you'd like to work for and research them.
Use your current contacts to try to network your way in to talk with
hiring managers in an informal informational interview. The best jobs
are not advertised.

Most importantly, realize this type of work is a constant race to keep
up. If you are not always learning something new you are going to lose.

Good luck!

--
Catwalker
aka Pu$$y Feet
BS, MCP

"Definitely not wearing any underwear."
 
Reply With Quote
 
Rowdy Yates
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2004
i say, resumes shmesumes! best way to get a job is to hack your way into
the HR system and put yourself on the payroll!


catwalker63 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns9587D758A95C6catwalker63athotmail@216.196. 97.136:

>
> Networking is, unfortunately, more complicated than having a few tech
> friends. The best way is to query everyone you know and ask them to
> come up with one or two people you can contact for an information
> interview. It's important not to ask these people for a job, but to
> come to them for information about what they would look for in an
> incumbant and what you can do to make yourself more marketable. Then
> you ask them to recommend 2 or more people and you set up the same
> type of meeting with them. And so on, and so on, etc. etc., working
> your way to the people who make the hiring decision. Eventually you
> will score, but it may take time. It's all who you know so the more
> people you know, and more importantly, who know you, the better chance
> you have. Make it clear that you are not asking for a job and don't
> do anything during this meeting to make you a liar in this respect.
> Keep the meeting short and show respect and appreciation for their
> time.
>
> Also, get your resume in shape. The old rules for resumes are out so
> you may need to seek out some information about how to make your
> resume current. You'll need to do some research on networking
> techniques, interview skills, and salary negotiation, while you're at
> it. Get together a list of companies you'd like to work for and
> research them. Use your current contacts to try to network your way
> in to talk with hiring managers in an informal informational
> interview. The best jobs are not advertised.
>
> Most importantly, realize this type of work is a constant race to keep
> up. If you are not always learning something new you are going to
> lose.
>
> Good luck!
>


Rowdy Yates, MCNGP #39
 
Reply With Quote
 
catwalker63
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2004
Rowdy Yates <(E-Mail Removed)> prattled ceaslessly
in news:Xns95882C1E35B01rowdyyates2123@207.46.248.16:

> i say, resumes shmesumes! best way to get a job is to hack your way
> into the HR system and put yourself on the payroll!
>


There are advantages to that aproach, I suppose, but there are also some
serious risks. Best consider carefully before undertaking this sort of
enterprise. Unless you like prison, that is. <eg>

--
Catwalker
aka Pu$$y Feet
BS, MCP

"Definitely not wearing any underwear."
 
Reply With Quote
 
Rowdy Yates
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2004
catwalker63 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns958813E7DDF1catwalker63athotmail@216.196.9 7.136:

> Rowdy Yates <(E-Mail Removed)> prattled ceaslessly
> in news:Xns95882C1E35B01rowdyyates2123@207.46.248.16:
>
>> i say, resumes shmesumes! best way to get a job is to hack your way
>> into the HR system and put yourself on the payroll!
>>

>
> There are advantages to that aproach, I suppose, but there are also some
> serious risks. Best consider carefully before undertaking this sort of
> enterprise. Unless you like prison, that is. <eg>
>


prison! hey, we can all go and visit my old cell mate Bubba.

--
Rowdy Yates, MCNGP #39
http://www.mcngp.com/
"Shhhh... Do you smell that? I think is't Albanian Goat Smegma!"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Network Guru
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2004

"Some Dude" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm about to complete my last exam before I become a MCSE on Windows
> Server 2003. Currently, I'm in a PC Tech type of job. I won't bore
> you with details, but lets say I think things are headed in the wrong
> direction at my current job and I'm a bit bored in this position. I
> would like to post my resume out there with the keyword MCSE in it
> (bound to get a couple bites I assume), but I'm afraid my current
> employer might find out by doing a resume search. Is there a way of
> discreetly posting your resume while you continue to work for an
> employer or no?
>
> I also wonder how people get these administrator type of jobs. I've
> tried the contracting route a few years ago and found out that these
> types (Volt, Robert Half, Teksystems, etc) constantly lie through their
> teeth and throw you crap work. This was before 9/11! I can only
> imagine what they are like now.
>
> I have a 4 year degree in a Computer Science and as noted above, soon
> to be MCSE, along with current A+ and Security+ certifications. Maybe
> I don't have the experience, but I certainly have the ambition and I
> think the smarts to do a damn fine job.
>
> No flaming MCNGPs please!
>
> Thanks.



The current climate is not favorable for Networking type jobs. However, you
do have one qualification that makes you stand out from the crowd: BSCS
degree. Use it to your advantage. Unfortunately,it seems everybody and
everyone has the MCSE cert and its value is not what it once was. I used to
(and still do) attend usergroup meetings in my area to network and meet new
faces. My current employer has hired several people over the years that
were referred through the user group meetings. Also, be proactive, don't
wait for someone to ask you if you are looking. Grab the bull by the horns
and initiate the conversation. "So you work for company XYZ.....Do you know
if they are loking for network admins with BSCS and MCSE....."


 
Reply With Quote
 
T-Bone
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2004
"Some Dude" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> No flaming MCNGPs please!


The MCNGP generally apply a "don't ask, don't tell policy". So you won't
find any flamers here.

T-Bone
MCNGP XL
Not that there's anything wrong with that.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Rowdy Yates
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2004
Network Guru wrote:
> Unfortunately,it seems everybody and
> everyone has the MCSE cert and its value is not what it once was.


Well, you can say that again! Play it one more time Sir Duke!

--
Rowdy Yates, MCNGP #39
http://www.mcngp.com/
"Do you smell that? I think is't Albanian Goat Smegma! Who wants some?"
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice/suggestions/recommendations needed for new PC & new flatbedscanner I need to buy soon Lee Computer Information 3 12-07-2011 05:35 AM
need an advice ( new site ) uriel@spreha.net HTML 27 08-19-2005 04:14 AM
Looking for a Menu Control. Need Advice. Thank You. Shapper ASP .Net 1 03-16-2005 01:01 AM
New to Java....need some advice for a quick prototype program Younger Dryas Java 4 02-13-2004 06:14 PM
Buying a new system. I have 4 video card choices. Need advice. RossColter@no.mail.here Computer Support 1 08-02-2003 07:59 AM



Advertisments