Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Laptop hard drive question, please advise

Laptop hard drive question, please advise

byronsspam@gmail.com

So I have a laptop that just goes dead on me the other day while I was
using it. Cannot power it up or anything but I need to retain some
files that are on the hard drive. I have another laptop and I was
wondering if I could just swap out the drives from one to the other?
What will happen when the laptop attempts to boot the OS from the HD
yet having different components etc? Maybe I should install the HD
and then Boot from CD using something like tinyLinux? What about
installing it into a desktop with a 2.5 ---> 3.5 disk adapter?
Thoughts?

TIA

Byron

WhzzKdd

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> So I have a laptop that just goes dead on me the other day while I was
> using it. Cannot power it up or anything but I need to retain some
> files that are on the hard drive. I have another laptop and I was
> wondering if I could just swap out the drives from one to the other?
> What will happen when the laptop attempts to boot the OS from the HD
> yet having different components etc? Maybe I should install the HD
> and then Boot from CD using something like tinyLinux? What about
> installing it into a desktop with a 2.5 ---> 3.5 disk adapter?
> Thoughts?
>
> TIA
>

> Byron

Get an external 2.5" USB case, install it, and plug it in.
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&Description=usb%20hard %20drive%20case&bop=And&Order=PRICE>

Not only do you get your files back, you have a portable data storage
device.

Alfred

On 25 May 2007 20:04:57 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>So I have a laptop that just goes dead on me the other day while I was
>using it. Cannot power it up or anything but I need to retain some
>files that are on the hard drive. I have another laptop and I was
>wondering if I could just swap out the drives from one to the other?
>What will happen when the laptop attempts to boot the OS from the HD
>yet having different components etc?

Might work but not guaranteed

Maybe I should install the HD
>and then Boot from CD using something like tinyLinux?

A faff on
Done it with knoppix on an old win98 system but it's a pain.
Again not guaranteed to work
> What about
>installing it into a desktop with a 2.5 ---> 3.5 disk adapter?
>Thoughts?
>
>TIA
>

>Byron

Best use an adapter if you have one and link it to a desktop machine.
Much much easier and more chance of success if your drive isn't
stuffed