Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > canon 30d will not upload images to pc

canon 30d will not upload images to pc

leftoverair@charter.net

have had my 30d for just under a year now and this is a first. i
attempted to upload images to a computer that has cannon utilities
installed on it. i have uploaded to this particular computer in the
past, however this time i plugged usb cable into a usb port that was
shot. here's where i think i dropped the ball, i don't think i powered
the camera down before removing the usb cable. prior to removing the
usb cable from the camera i get an error 99 message on the camera. as
i understand this a is a catch-all error message, normally associated
with the contacts and the lens. after trying a working usb port, the
only action canon utilities would allow me to do was file monitoring.
xp was also unable to recognize the camera. have tried removing the
battery for appx. 15-20mins to "reset" the camera, but that didn't
work- i'm stuck. any productive input will be greatly appreciated!

J. Severyn

Just buy a card reader for $5 and forget the camera's USB port. The card
reader will probably transfer the memory card contents much faster anyway.
Here is an example: http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4700369#detailed

J. Severyn

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> have had my 30d for just under a year now and this is a first. i
> attempted to upload images to a computer that has cannon utilities
> installed on it. i have uploaded to this particular computer in the
> past, however this time i plugged usb cable into a usb port that was
> shot. here's where i think i dropped the ball, i don't think i powered
> the camera down before removing the usb cable. prior to removing the
> usb cable from the camera i get an error 99 message on the camera. as
> i understand this a is a catch-all error message, normally associated
> with the contacts and the lens. after trying a working usb port, the
> only action canon utilities would allow me to do was file monitoring.
> xp was also unable to recognize the camera. have tried removing the
> battery for appx. 15-20mins to "reset" the camera, but that didn't
> work- i'm stuck. any productive input will be greatly appreciated!

Mark≤

> have had my 30d for just under a year now and this is a first. i
> attempted to upload images to a computer that has cannon utilities
> installed on it. i have uploaded to this particular computer in the
> past, however this time i plugged usb cable into a usb port that was
> shot. here's where i think i dropped the ball, i don't think i powered
> the camera down before removing the usb cable. prior to removing the
> usb cable from the camera i get an error 99 message on the camera. as
> i understand this a is a catch-all error message, normally associated
> with the contacts and the lens. after trying a working usb port, the
> only action canon utilities would allow me to do was file monitoring.
> xp was also unable to recognize the camera. have tried removing the
> battery for appx. 15-20mins to "reset" the camera, but that didn't
> work- i'm stuck. any productive input will be greatly appreciated!

I frankly don't know if ANY of my DSLRs upload to my PC properly (though
they likely do), because in the 7 years I've been shooting with them, I've
never had any desire to try. It's a battery drain...a pain in the
neck...and pointless...when a fast card reader will do the job with zero
fuss...better speed...and no battery drain.

Buy a card reader and you'll never look back.

--
Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark≤ at:
www.pbase.com/markuson

Alfmeister

While that may be the easiest solution in this case there is an
advantage to downloading directly from the camera and that is less
wear on the camera. Pulling the card in and out can cause a pin to
break. I've seen it happen more than once.
To the OP;
1. Uninstall the Canon Utility.
2. Check for the latest Utility for your camera on the Canon website.
3. Reinstall program.
Hopefully you just have a corrupt file problem and doing a
deinstall/reinstall usually fixes that.
If not, give Canon a call.
Good luck.

On Fri, 25 May 2007 19:57:29 -0700, "J. Severyn"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Just buy a card reader for $5 and forget the camera's USB port. The card
>reader will probably transfer the memory card contents much faster anyway.
>Here is an example: http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4700369#detailed
>
>J. Severyn
>
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...
>> have had my 30d for just under a year now and this is a first. i
>> attempted to upload images to a computer that has cannon utilities
>> installed on it. i have uploaded to this particular computer in the
>> past, however this time i plugged usb cable into a usb port that was
>> shot. here's where i think i dropped the ball, i don't think i powered
>> the camera down before removing the usb cable. prior to removing the
>> usb cable from the camera i get an error 99 message on the camera. as
>> i understand this a is a catch-all error message, normally associated
>> with the contacts and the lens. after trying a working usb port, the
>> only action canon utilities would allow me to do was file monitoring.
>> xp was also unable to recognize the camera. have tried removing the
>> battery for appx. 15-20mins to "reset" the camera, but that didn't
>> work- i'm stuck. any productive input will be greatly appreciated!

Charles

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> have had my 30d for just under a year now and this is a first. i
> attempted to upload images to a computer that has cannon utilities
> installed on it. i have uploaded to this particular computer in the
> past, however this time i plugged usb cable into a usb port that was
> shot. here's where i think i dropped the ball, i don't think i powered
> the camera down before removing the usb cable. prior to removing the
> usb cable from the camera i get an error 99 message on the camera. as
> i understand this a is a catch-all error message, normally associated
> with the contacts and the lens. after trying a working usb port, the
> only action canon utilities would allow me to do was file monitoring.
> xp was also unable to recognize the camera. have tried removing the
> battery for appx. 15-20mins to "reset" the camera, but that didn't
> work- i'm stuck. any productive input will be greatly appreciated!

As others have stated ... CARD READER. Ignore the post about pins breaking.

Mark B.

"Alfmeister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> While that may be the easiest solution in this case there is an
> advantage to downloading directly from the camera and that is less
> wear on the camera. Pulling the card in and out can cause a pin to
> break. I've seen it happen more than once.

If you're careless. I've been using cameras with CF cards and card readers
since 2000, never had a problem whatsoever. Using a reader, you're not
relying on the camera battery. Besides, if you have multiple cards to you
may as well use a reader.

Mark

Mark≤

Alfmeister wrote:
> While that may be the easiest solution in this case there is an
> advantage to downloading directly from the camera and that is less
> wear on the camera. Pulling the card in and out can cause a pin to
> break. I've seen it happen more than once.

If you've REALLY seen that happen more than once (which I frankly
doubt...sorry), you must hang around with extraordinarily wreckless people.
It is VERY dificult to actually bend pins, because most CF card slots don't
even allow the card to enter if it isn't straight/properly alligned.

I've never uploaded a SINGLE image from the camera, and have
removed/replaced CF cards literally thousands of times...without a single
bad card...or a single problem of ANY kind whatsoever.

Jack Mac

On Sat, 26 May 2007 22:46:12 -0700, "Mark≤" <mjmorgan(lowest even number
here)@cox..net> wrote:

>Alfmeister wrote:
>> While that may be the easiest solution in this case there is an
>> advantage to downloading directly from the camera and that is less
>> wear on the camera. Pulling the card in and out can cause a pin to
>> break. I've seen it happen more than once.

>If you've REALLY seen that happen more than once (which I frankly
>doubt...sorry), you must hang around with extraordinarily wreckless people.
>It is VERY dificult to actually bend pins, because most CF card slots don't
>even allow the card to enter if it isn't straight/properly alligned.
>
>I've never uploaded a SINGLE image from the camera, and have
>removed/replaced CF cards literally thousands of times...without a single
>bad card...or a single problem of ANY kind whatsoever.

I agree!
Cameras are designed to have the cards inserted and remove.
You have a meaningless phobia.

Art

I agree with the card reader recommendation, but there is a good
reason to look into the problem:

It may indicate a problem that has other ramifications as well,
including a partially corrupted card.

I would try the following:

plug in the camera, close all the canon software, and use your windows
explorer (not internet explorer, but the explorer you use to look at
local files).

Try to browse to the camera. Can you open and copy files from the
camera using that?

If everything is there and works great, then reinstall the canon
software.

If not, next steps will be dependent upon the error. Possible areas:

USB port (I have interesting problems on my system(s) depending upon
which OTHER devices are plugged in when I put any complex USB device
on the system).

Card format - the storage card can get corrupted and require
reformatting. REFORMAT IN THE CAMERA, NOT THE PC!

Low/old camera battery (even freshly charged - do you have an AC
adaptor for the camera? New fully charged battery?)

bad CABLE (dust on / in either end can cause interesting problems.
Soda does too, but that's a whole DIFFERENT story).

Good luck!