Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > A good c/c++ algorithms / design patterns book

A good c/c++ algorithms / design patterns book

CellDivider

Hello folks,

currently I'm looking for a good books that gives an overview of
useful c/c++ algorithms and design patterns, in the manner of "what's
the most efficient way to implement <often used function> ", singleton
pattern etc. pp. . It should cover as much as possible.

How good is this one?

http://www.awprofessional.com/bookst...201633612&rl=1

If you know better suggestions, please tell me!

Thank you in advance

Ian Collins

CellDivider wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> currently I'm looking for a good books that gives an overview of
> useful c/c++ algorithms and design patterns, in the manner of "what's
> the most efficient way to implement <often used function> ", singleton
> pattern etc. pp. . It should cover as much as possible.
>

> How good is this one?
>
> http://www.awprofessional.com/bookst...201633612&rl=1

It is the definitive book on design patterns.

http://accu.org/index.php/book_reviews

--
Ian Collins.

CellDivider

Very well. Now all I need is a good c++ algorithms book.

James Kanze

On May 26, 1:22 am, CellDivider <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Very well. Now all I need is a good c++ algorithms book.

Algorithms are pretty much independant of the language; the
reference is Knuth, and he presents them in assembler.
Otherwise, Sedgewick: there are versions in Pascal, C and, I
think C++ (but from what I hear, the C++ is really just rehashed
C). Don't get hung up on the language the book is officially
in; one of the best books I know about programming in C is
"Programming Tools in Pascal". (Although dated, it's still
worth reading today.)

--
James Kanze (Gabi Software) email: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

CellDivider

I can only find "Software Tools in Pascal" by Kernighan, if that's the
one you mean. Or do you mean "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan
instead (because this one looks like a pure Pascal book)?

The Sedgewick seems to be a good hint, thanks.

Gennaro Prota

On 26 May 2007 03:12:58 -0700, CellDivider wrote:

>I can only find "Software Tools in Pascal" by Kernighan, if that's the
>one you mean. Or do you mean "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan
>instead (because this one looks like a pure Pascal book)?

Pretty sure that James meant the former. It's by Kernighan and Plauger
and is a rewrite of "Software Tools":

Software Tools (1976) ISBN: 020103669X
Software Tools in Pascal (1981) ISBN: 0201103427

Apologies if it bothers you that I answered this, James. Just trying
to take some of your replying work off

--
Gennaro Prota -- C++ Developer, For Hire
https://sourceforge.net/projects/breeze/

James Kanze

On May 26, 12:57 pm, Gennaro Prota <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 26 May 2007 03:12:58 -0700, CellDivider wrote:

> >I can only find "Software Tools in Pascal" by Kernighan, if that's the
> >one you mean. Or do you mean "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan
> >instead (because this one looks like a pure Pascal book)?

> Pretty sure that James meant the former.

Yes. And it is "pure" Pascal (except that the authors treat
Pascal as much like C as possible). That's just my point: the
language isn't always that important---reading it will improve
your C, and even your C++, considerably, even if it doesn't
contain a line of C.

> It's by Kernighan and Plauger
> and is a rewrite of "Software Tools":

> Software Tools (1976) ISBN: 020103669X
> Software Tools in Pascal (1981) ISBN: 0201103427

Yes. The original (which I've not read) was in RatFor, a
Fortran preprocessor, and included the code for the
preprocessor.

It's interesting to note the dates. As late as 1981, two of the
world's leading C experts felt it necessary to write in Pascal
in order to publish; C wasn't yet widespread enough. (Which
rather surprises me; I was working professionally in C by
1982-1983, and I had the impression that I was rather late
getting into it.)

> Apologies if it bothers you that I answered this, James. Just
> trying to take some of your replying work off

There's nothing to apologize about. Anyone who has anything to
contribute is always welcome.

--
James Kanze (Gabi Software) email: (E-Mail Removed)

Jerry Coffin

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I can only find "Software Tools in Pascal" by Kernighan, if that's the
> one you mean. Or do you mean "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan
> instead (because this one looks like a pure Pascal book)?
>
> The Sedgewick seems to be a good hint, thanks.

At:

http://tinyurl.com/39nxcj

There's a thread that talks about books on algorithms. A short summary
of my comments from that thread is that I would (strongly) recommend
_Introduction to Algorithms_ by Cormen, Leiserson, Rivest and Stein, or
_The Art of Computer Programming_ by Knuth, but I recommend (strongly)
against any of Sedgewick's books. His coverage of algorithms is quite
poor, and in the language-specific versions (e.g. _Algorithms in C++_)
the use of the language is even worse.

--
Later,
Jerry.

James Kanze

On May 28, 6:30 am, Jerry Coffin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...

> > I can only find "Software Tools in Pascal" by Kernighan, if that's the
> > one you mean. Or do you mean "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan
> > instead (because this one looks like a pure Pascal book)?

> > The Sedgewick seems to be a good hint, thanks.

> At:

> http://tinyurl.com/39nxcj

> There's a thread that talks about books on algorithms. A short summary
> of my comments from that thread is that I would (strongly) recommend
> _Introduction to Algorithms_ by Cormen, Leiserson, Rivest and Stein, or
> _The Art of Computer Programming_ by Knuth, but I recommend (strongly)
> against any of Sedgewick's books. His coverage of algorithms is quite
> poor, and in the language-specific versions (e.g. _Algorithms in C++_)
> the use of the language is even worse.

Interesting. I learned algorithms from Wirth---the second
edition, which used Modula 2 for examples. Except for very poor
typography (a whole line dropped in one example program, for
example), I found it excellent. But I have Sedgewick as well
(the C version), and I have no real complaints. It's more
complete (i.e. covers more algorithms) than Wirth, even if the
explinations aren't nearly as clear. Knuth is, of course, the
absolute reference, but 1) it's dated (or at least the editions
I have are), and 2) the sample code is in assembler, which makes
it somewhat more difficult to follow on the whole. (On the
other hand, the descriptive text is about the best you can
imagine. Knuth is one of those rare people who are both a
technical genius and a genius with words.) The result is that
while I have all three, when I need to look up a standard
algorithm quickly, I'll go to Sedgewick first.

Gennaro Prota

On 26 May 2007 15:57:21 -0700, James Kanze wrote:

>On May 26, 12:57 pm, Gennaro Prota <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]
>> It's by Kernighan and Plauger
>> and is a rewrite of "Software Tools":

>> Software Tools (1976) ISBN: 020103669X
>> Software Tools in Pascal (1981) ISBN: 0201103427

>Yes. The original (which I've not read) was in RatFor, a
>Fortran preprocessor, and included the code for the
>preprocessor.
>
>It's interesting to note the dates. As late as 1981, two of the
>world's leading C experts felt it necessary to write in Pascal
>in order to publish; C wasn't yet widespread enough.

Hmm, is that the reason? Perhaps P.J. Plauger could read this and
answer in person (but I guess he rarely reads the unmoderated group).