Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Electrolytic Capacitors

Electrolytic Capacitors

Barry

Hello, I don't know if this is the right place for this question, but I know
there are a lot of Hi Tech people in here so the question is this, I have
several electrolytic capacitors, some are 220uf 400v 85degree C, and some
are 220uf 400v 105degree C, the question is which one is the best and why,
the 85degreeC or the 105degreeC,,,Thank you

why?

On Fri, 25 May 2007 16:45:46 -0500, Barry wrote:

newsgroups,

sci.electronics
sci.electronics.basic
sci.electronics.basics
sci.electronics.cad
sci.electronics.components.* (1)
sci.electronics.design
sci.electronics.equipment.* (1)
sci.electronics.misc.* (1)
sci.electronics.repair.* (1)

http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?...80724&expand=1

>Hello, I don't know if this is the right place for this question, but I know
>there are a lot of Hi Tech people in here so the question is this, I have
>several electrolytic capacitors, some are 220uf 400v 85degree C, and some
>are 220uf 400v 105degree C, the question is which one is the best and why,
>the 85degreeC or the 105degreeC,,,Thank you

Wrong question, there is no best about it the temperature ratings are
different.

You also don't say if that the max operating temp or the life load
rating temp.

Once you figure out which temp you mean then you can answer the question
yourself.

Me

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Barry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello, I don't know if this is the right place for this question, but I know
>there are a lot of Hi Tech people in here so the question is this, I have
>several electrolytic capacitors, some are 220uf 400v 85degree C, and some
>are 220uf 400v 105degree C, the question is which one is the best and why,
>the 85degreeC or the 105degreeC,,,Thank you

Besides the fact the 85degree ones could explode at 105 degrees?

--

http://villeki.aqua-web.org/paskaa/vesi.jpg

D.Duck

"Barry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UOI5i.22$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello, I don't know if this is the right place for this question, but I
> know there are a lot of Hi Tech people in here so the question is this, I
> have several electrolytic capacitors, some are 220uf 400v 85degree C, and
> some are 220uf 400v 105degree C, the question is which one is the best and
> why, the 85degreeC or the 105degreeC,,,Thank you

In your example the 105* C cap will last longer. In addition to the
temperature rating all caps have a life spec, something like 1000, 2000 or
5000 hours. Run of the mill caps will be rated for 1000 hours.

Electrolytic caps have a wear-out mechanism. Ripple current thru the ESR
(equivalent series resistance) of electrolytic caps causes internal heating.
This internal heating combined with the ambient temperature dries up the
capacitors electrolyte. As the electrolyte dries up the internal heating
increases to the point where the heat is so great that the capacitor with
vent.

Modern caps have this venting mechanism that if properly designed will allow
the gas generated in the cap to release in a relatively controlled manner.
Earlier caps with out the vent can have a rather violent end of life when
the gas reaches a high enough pressure.

Therefore all other things being equal, the 105* C cap is the best choice
over an 85* C rated part.

WhzzKdd

"D.Duck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Barry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:UOI5i.22$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello, I don't know if this is the right place for this question, but I
>> know there are a lot of Hi Tech people in here so the question is this, I
>> have several electrolytic capacitors, some are 220uf 400v 85degree C, and
>> some are 220uf 400v 105degree C, the question is which one is the best
>> and why, the 85degreeC or the 105degreeC,,,Thank you

> In your example the 105* C cap will last longer. In addition to the
> temperature rating all caps have a life spec, something like 1000, 2000 or
> 5000 hours. Run of the mill caps will be rated for 1000 hours.
>
> Electrolytic caps have a wear-out mechanism. Ripple current thru the ESR
> (equivalent series resistance) of electrolytic caps causes internal
> heating. This internal heating combined with the ambient temperature dries
> up the capacitors electrolyte. As the electrolyte dries up the internal
> heating increases to the point where the heat is so great that the
> capacitor with vent.
>
> Modern caps have this venting mechanism that if properly designed will
> allow the gas generated in the cap to release in a relatively controlled
> manner. Earlier caps with out the vent can have a rather violent end of
> life when the gas reaches a high enough pressure.

Back in the old TV repair days, I saw a few of those. Quite messy!

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:

>> Modern caps have this venting mechanism that if properly designed will
>> allow the gas generated in the cap to release in a relatively controlled
>> manner. Earlier caps with out the vent can have a rather violent end of
>> life when the gas reaches a high enough pressure.

>Back in the old TV repair days, I saw a few of those. Quite messy!

College - electronics class, we used to blow them up

Stick a one to the capacitor tester, crank it up and they'd pop like
caps - never trusted us with the really big ones
--

Best Buy Busted

WhzzKdd

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> Modern caps have this venting mechanism that if properly designed will
>>> allow the gas generated in the cap to release in a relatively controlled
>>> manner. Earlier caps with out the vent can have a rather violent end of
>>> life when the gas reaches a high enough pressure.

>>Back in the old TV repair days, I saw a few of those. Quite messy!

> College - electronics class, we used to blow them up
>
> Stick a one to the capacitor tester, crank it up and they'd pop like
> caps - never trusted us with the really big ones

Cheap thrills <g>

JANA

You can use both a higher voltage or higher temperature rated capacitor.

The higher temperature rated capacitor will last longer in environments that
are very warm. It is heat that causes the most degeneration of the
specifications of capacitors. In cool environments, capacitors can last for
many years without failure.

The 105 C capacitor can safely operate up to 105 C degrees without failure.
At this temperature, with its maximum operating voltage applied, it should
last according to the manufactures MTBF rating. The same is for the 85 C
capacitor, but at 85 C.

The lower the operating temperature in relation to the maximum allowable
amount, and the lower the operating voltage applied, the greater the MTBF to
be expected. You would have to consult the manufacture's performance
publications to have the details for the particular capacitor.

When servicing equipment, we make a practice of using 105 C capacitors only,
unless the particular type is not available, and we must use the 85 C type.

--

JANA
_____

"Barry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UOI5i.22$(E-Mail Removed)...
Hello, I don't know if this is the right place for this question, but I know
there are a lot of Hi Tech people in here so the question is this, I have
several electrolytic capacitors, some are 220uf 400v 85degree C, and some
are 220uf 400v 105degree C, the question is which one is the best and why,
the 85degreeC or the 105degreeC,,,Thank you

Barry

Thank you Jana, and you too D. Duck, you all have help me more than you
realize, It would really be nice if everyone on 24hoursupport was as helpful
as you two guys, and Thanks agian,,,,,
"JANA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You can use both a higher voltage or higher temperature rated capacitor.
>
> The higher temperature rated capacitor will last longer in environments
> that
> are very warm. It is heat that causes the most degeneration of the
> specifications of capacitors. In cool environments, capacitors can last
> for
> many years without failure.
>
> The 105 C capacitor can safely operate up to 105 C degrees without
> failure.
> At this temperature, with its maximum operating voltage applied, it should
> last according to the manufactures MTBF rating. The same is for the 85 C
> capacitor, but at 85 C.
>
> The lower the operating temperature in relation to the maximum allowable
> amount, and the lower the operating voltage applied, the greater the MTBF
> be expected. You would have to consult the manufacture's performance
> publications to have the details for the particular capacitor.
>
> When servicing equipment, we make a practice of using 105 C capacitors
> only,
> unless the particular type is not available, and we must use the 85 C
> type.
>
> --
>
> JANA
> _____
>

> "Barry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:UOI5i.22$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello, I don't know if this is the right place for this question, but I
> know
> there are a lot of Hi Tech people in here so the question is this, I have
> several electrolytic capacitors, some are 220uf 400v 85degree C, and some
> are 220uf 400v 105degree C, the question is which one is the best and why,
> the 85degreeC or the 105degreeC,,,Thank you

Ponder

Hiya Barry.

In <news:ViN5i.597$(E-Mail Removed)> you wrote:

> Thank you Jana, and you too D. Duck, you all have help me more than you
> realize, It would really be nice if everyone on 24hoursupport was as helpful
> as you two guys, and Thanks agian,,,,,

It wouldn't be half as much fun though

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952