Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > WinXP, switching users messes up network connection

WinXP, switching users messes up network connection

Richard M. Hartman

It seems that the wireless network connection is done on a per-user basis,
rather than systemwide. After one user connects well, if you switch users
the second user gets a flaky or unusable connection. If you log off the
first user, and log in a second, things are fine. I've tried with both
Microsoft manageing the connections, and the Intel Proset/Wireless manager.

Is there any way to fix this?

--
-Richard M. Hartman

186,000 mi/sec: not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

You have insurance for your car and your health,
why not for your legal needs?
http://www.legalhmo.com

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Such a situation use to happen with older devices when you mixed 802.11g and
802.11b users.
It should not happen with current good systems.
What is thew make Wireless Router (Acceess Point), and Wireless clients
are?
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Richard M. Hartman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> It seems that the wireless network connection is done on a per-user basis,
> rather than systemwide. After one user connects well, if you switch users
> the second user gets a flaky or unusable connection. If you log off the
> first user, and log in a second, things are fine. I've tried with both
> Microsoft manageing the connections, and the Intel Proset/Wireless
> manager.
>
> Is there any way to fix this?
>
> --
> -Richard M. Hartman
>
> 186,000 mi/sec: not just a good idea, it's the LAW!
>
> You have insurance for your car and your health,
> why not for your legal needs?
> http://www.legalhmo.com

Richard M. Hartman

It's the same hardware, in the same house. Same laptop (Dell Inspiron
600m), same router/firewall/access point (Netgear WGR614 v7, firmware
version V2.0.20_1.0.20NA). Not mixing anything, at least not intentionally.
I just want to be able to switch users so my wife can do something without
me having to log off (and close all the windows I may have open at the
time). "Switch Users" ought to do it, but when she logs in her network
connection is flaky or non-existant. If I do log off, she's fine. If we
start with her connected and "switch users" to me, it's flaky. Seems like
they're managing the connections per user-login rather than at the machine
level.

--
-Richard M. Hartman

186,000 mi/sec: not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

You have insurance for your car and your health,
why not for your legal needs?
http://www.legalhmo.com

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Such a situation use to happen with older devices when you mixed 802.11g
> and 802.11b users.
> It should not happen with current good systems.
> What is thew make Wireless Router (Acceess Point), and Wireless clients
> are?
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Richard M. Hartman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> It seems that the wireless network connection is done on a per-user
>> basis, rather than systemwide. After one user connects well, if you
>> switch users the second user gets a flaky or unusable connection. If you
>> log off the first user, and log in a second, things are fine. I've tried
>> with both Microsoft manageing the connections, and the Intel
>> Proset/Wireless manager.
>>
>> Is there any way to fix this?
>>
>> --
>> -Richard M. Hartman
>>
>> 186,000 mi/sec: not just a good idea, it's the LAW!
>>
>> You have insurance for your car and your health,
>> why not for your legal needs?
>> http://www.legalhmo.com

=?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=

In WinXP XP, wi-fi profiles indeed are local to the user
who created them. There is no sharing option, as for dialup connections.

In Vista, wi-fi profiles are global for all users (by default),
so a connection will automatically resume after user switch.

So, AFAIK there is no easy solution for XP, besides of
3rd party software - like Intel PROset.

Regards,
--PA

"Richard M. Hartman" wrote:
> It's the same hardware, in the same house. Same laptop (Dell Inspiron
> 600m), same router/firewall/access point (Netgear WGR614 v7, firmware
> version V2.0.20_1.0.20NA). Not mixing anything, at least not intentionally.
> I just want to be able to switch users so my wife can do something without
> me having to log off (and close all the windows I may have open at the
> time). "Switch Users" ought to do it, but when she logs in her network
> connection is flaky or non-existant. If I do log off, she's fine. If we
> start with her connected and "switch users" to me, it's flaky. Seems like
> they're managing the connections per user-login rather than at the machine
> level.
>

> --
> -Richard M. Hartman
>
> 186,000 mi/sec: not just a good idea, it's the LAW!
>
> You have insurance for your car and your health,
> why not for your legal needs?
> http://www.legalhmo.com
>
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi
> > Such a situation use to happen with older devices when you mixed 802.11g
> > and 802.11b users.
> > It should not happen with current good systems.
> > What is thew make Wireless Router (Acceess Point), and Wireless clients
> > are?
> > Jack (MVP-Networking).
> >
> > "Richard M. Hartman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> It seems that the wireless network connection is done on a per-user
> >> basis, rather than systemwide. After one user connects well, if you
> >> switch users the second user gets a flaky or unusable connection. If you
> >> log off the first user, and log in a second, things are fine. I've tried
> >> with both Microsoft manageing the connections, and the Intel
> >> Proset/Wireless manager.
> >>
> >> Is there any way to fix this?
> >>
> >> --
> >> -Richard M. Hartman
> >>
> >> 186,000 mi/sec: not just a good idea, it's the LAW!
> >>
> >> You have insurance for your car and your health,
> >> why not for your legal needs?
> >> http://www.legalhmo.com

Richard M. Hartman

I'm using Intel Proset, but still have the same problem.

Perhaps I am not using it properly? How would I make this work?

--
-Richard M. Hartman

186,000 mi/sec: not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

You have insurance for your car and your health,
why not for your legal needs?
http://www.legalhmo.com

news:(E-Mail Removed)...