Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Google looking for new recruitment agent

Google looking for new recruitment agent

Malcolm McLean

Must have high standards of professional integrity and understanding of
Internet culture. You will be a dynamic and pro-active individual with a
passion for total quality customer service, a self-starter but able to work
in the fast-moving and polyvalent team environment that is Google groups.

--
Free games and programming goodies.
http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~bgy1mm

Joe Estock

Malcolm McLean wrote:
> Must have high standards of professional integrity and understanding of
> Internet culture.

As in not spamming newsgroups with advertisements?

> You will be a dynamic and pro-active individual with a
> passion for total quality customer service, a self-starter but able to
> work in the fast-moving and polyvalent team environment that is Google
> groups.

Ah, that explains it. Google groups. Welcome to the (void).

*plonk*

Mark McIntyre

On Fri, 25 May 2007 18:12:01 -0500, in comp.lang.c , Joe Estock
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Malcolm McLean wrote:
>> Must have high standards of professional integrity and understanding of
>> Internet culture.

>As in not spamming newsgroups with advertisements?
>
>> You will be a dynamic and pro-active individual with a
>> passion for total quality customer service, a self-starter but able to
>> work in the fast-moving and polyvalent team environment that is Google
>> groups.
>>

>Ah, that explains it. Google groups. Welcome to the (void).

>*plonk*

Apparently you missed the joke.

--
Mark McIntyre

--Brian Kernighan

Ian Collins

Ever heard of a **** take?

--
Ian Collins.

Default User

Joe Estock wrote:

> Malcolm McLean wrote:
> > Must have high standards of professional integrity and
> > understanding of Internet culture.

> As in not spamming newsgroups with advertisements?
>
> > You will be a dynamic and pro-active individual with a passion for
> > total quality customer service, a self-starter but able to work in
> > the fast-moving and polyvalent team environment that is Google
> > groups.
> >

> Ah, that explains it. Google groups. Welcome to the (void).
>

> *plonk*

Wow. Wooooosh!

Brian

Joe Estock

Mark McIntyre wrote:
> On Fri, 25 May 2007 18:12:01 -0500, in comp.lang.c , Joe Estock
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Malcolm McLean wrote:
>>> Must have high standards of professional integrity and understanding of
>>> Internet culture.

>> As in not spamming newsgroups with advertisements?
>>
>>> You will be a dynamic and pro-active individual with a
>>> passion for total quality customer service, a self-starter but able to
>>> work in the fast-moving and polyvalent team environment that is Google
>>> groups.
>>>

>> Ah, that explains it. Google groups. Welcome to the (void).

>> *plonk*

> Apparently you missed the joke.

It would appear so and after a quick scrub of the group I noticed
Malcolm is a frequent poster. It's been a long day and I just read the
"Google looking for Great Engineers" thread before this one, hence the
"hair trigger".

I suppose an *unplonk* is in order?

Joe Estock

Ian Collins wrote:

[snip]

>> *plonk*

> Ever heard of a **** take?

Apparently not, but I have now.

Richard Heathfield

Joe Estock said:

> It would appear [that Joe missed the fact that Malcolm's article was
> parody] and after a quick scrub of the group I noticed
> Malcolm is a frequent poster. It's been a long day and I just read the
> "Google looking for Great Engineers" thread before this one, hence the
> "hair trigger".
>
> I suppose an *unplonk* is in order?

That depends on whether you want to read his articles in the future (if
you did indeed plonk the guy - so many plonkmsgs nowadays seem to mean
something quite different, i.e. "I think you're a plonker" rather than
"so long, sucker, my killfile just burped").

What you do owe him, however, is an apology.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

Joe Estock

Richard Heathfield wrote:
> Joe Estock said:
>
>> It would appear [that Joe missed the fact that Malcolm's article was
>> parody] and after a quick scrub of the group I noticed
>> Malcolm is a frequent poster. It's been a long day and I just read the
>> "Google looking for Great Engineers" thread before this one, hence the
>> "hair trigger".
>>
>> I suppose an *unplonk* is in order?

> That depends on whether you want to read his articles in the future

Of course I do. After scrubbing the previous articles I see that he is
not only a frequent poster but also a quality poster.

> (if you did indeed plonk the guy - so many plonkmsgs nowadays seem to mean
> something quite different, i.e. "I think you're a plonker" rather than
> "so long, sucker, my killfile just burped").
>
> What you do owe him, however, is an apology.

That, indeed, was the intent of my reply although at first glance it
does not appear obvious. I had placed him in my killfile (or
thunderbird's equivalent of it) however after another glance at the
original article decided against it. My "I suppose an *unplonk* is in
order?" was meant as a rhetorical question to convey an indirect
apology. That being said, Malcolm, I apologize for erroneously judging
your post.

Malcolm McLean

"Joe Estock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Richard Heathfield wrote:
>> Joe Estock said:
>>
>>> It would appear [that Joe missed the fact that Malcolm's article was
>>> parody] and after a quick scrub of the group I noticed
>>> Malcolm is a frequent poster. It's been a long day and I just read the
>>> "Google looking for Great Engineers" thread before this one, hence the
>>> "hair trigger".
>>>
>>> I suppose an *unplonk* is in order?

>> That depends on whether you want to read his articles in the future

> Of course I do. After scrubbing the previous articles I see that he is not
> only a frequent poster but also a quality poster.
>
>> (if you did indeed plonk the guy - so many plonkmsgs nowadays seem to
>> mean something quite different, i.e. "I think you're a plonker" rather
>> than "so long, sucker, my killfile just burped").
>>
>> What you do owe him, however, is an apology.
>>

> That, indeed, was the intent of my reply although at first glance it does
> not appear obvious. I had placed him in my killfile (or thunderbird's
> equivalent of it) however after another glance at the original article
> decided against it. My "I suppose an *unplonk* is in order?" was meant as
> a rhetorical question to convey an indirect apology. That being said,
> Malcolm, I apologize for erroneously judging your post.

I was happy.
If it really fooled one or two people then that shows it was pitched about
right. Fool no-one and it's too crude, fool everyone and you might as well
place a real spam, fool one or two and you've got it.
Anyway, welcome to clc.