Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Password question

Password question

Mike Gellert

Hi all,
Why after using Thunderbird for ages, all of a sudden I get the message
on start-up asking me to enter my password.
I've never had or used one before with TB. It's damn annoying.
How can I get rid of it please ?
Cheers Mike

Moz Champion (Dan)

Mike Gellert wrote:
> Hi all,
> Why after using Thunderbird for ages, all of a sudden I get the message
> on start-up asking me to enter my password.
> I've never had or used one before with TB. It's damn annoying.
> How can I get rid of it please ?
> Cheers Mike

Did you or someone else perhaps put a Master Password in?

[Thunderbird-->Preferences]*-->Privacy [Passwords]

If the <Remove Master Password> button is not greyed out, then there is
a Master Password in use.

You can remove it (using the button) but you will lose ALL your
passwords in the program

*varies by OS
Window
[Tools-->Options]
Linux
[Edit-->Preferences]
Mac as above

Mike Gellert

Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
> Mike Gellert wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> Why after using Thunderbird for ages, all of a sudden I get the
>> message on start-up asking me to enter my password.
>> I've never had or used one before with TB. It's damn annoying.
>> How can I get rid of it please ?
>> Cheers Mike

> Did you or someone else perhaps put a Master Password in?
>

> [Thunderbird-->Preferences]*-->Privacy [Passwords]
>

> If the <Remove Master Password> button is not greyed out, then there is
> a Master Password in use.
>

> You can remove it (using the button) but you will lose ALL your
> passwords in the program
>

> *varies by OS
> Window
> [Tools-->Options]
> Linux
> [Edit-->Preferences]
> Mac as above

Dan,
No, I haven't put a password in and the 'remove master password' is
grayed out. I have no problem getting to my mail, I just cancel the
pop-up screen. I would still like to get rid of it
Mike

Moz Champion (Dan)

Mike Gellert wrote:
> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>> Mike Gellert wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> Why after using Thunderbird for ages, all of a sudden I get the
>>> message on start-up asking me to enter my password.
>>> I've never had or used one before with TB. It's damn annoying.
>>> How can I get rid of it please ?
>>> Cheers Mike

>> Did you or someone else perhaps put a Master Password in?
>>

>> [Thunderbird-->Preferences]*-->Privacy [Passwords]
>>

>> If the <Remove Master Password> button is not greyed out, then there
>> is a Master Password in use.
>>

>> You can remove it (using the button) but you will lose ALL your
>> passwords in the program
>>

>> *varies by OS
>> Window
>> [Tools-->Options]
>> Linux
>> [Edit-->Preferences]
>> Mac as above

> Dan,
> No, I haven't put a password in and the 'remove master password' is
> grayed out. I have no problem getting to my mail, I just cancel the
> pop-up screen. I would still like to get rid of it
> Mike

Do you have any RSS feeds? Have you checked your mail accounts to see if
they were inadvertantly switched to require log in?

Mike Gellert

Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
> Mike Gellert wrote:
>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>>>

>>> Did you or someone else perhaps put a Master Password in?
>>>

>>> [Thunderbird-->Preferences]*-->Privacy [Passwords]
>>>

>>> If the <Remove Master Password> button is not greyed out, then there
>>> is a Master Password in use.
>>>

>>> You can remove it (using the button) but you will lose ALL your
>>> passwords in the program
>>>

>>> *varies by OS
>>> Window
>>> [Tools-->Options]
>>> Linux
>>> [Edit-->Preferences]
>>> Mac as above

>> Dan,
>> No, I haven't put a password in and the 'remove master password' is
>> grayed out. I have no problem getting to my mail, I just cancel the
>> pop-up screen. I would still like to get rid of it
>> Mike

> Do you have any RSS feeds? Have you checked your mail accounts to see if
> they were inadvertantly switched to require log in?

Dan,
Many thanks for your input......but still no joy.
Maybe I could try
1. Create a password and then cancel it, in the hope of fooling the
program or
2.Re-install TB (yes, I do have backup of my profile in the way of
MozBac ) what do you think ? Mike

Moz Champion (Dan)

Mike Gellert wrote:
> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
>> Mike Gellert wrote:
>>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

>>> Dan,
>>> No, I haven't put a password in and the 'remove master password' is
>>> grayed out. I have no problem getting to my mail, I just cancel the
>>> pop-up screen. I would still like to get rid of it
>>> Mike

>> Do you have any RSS feeds? Have you checked your mail accounts to see
>> if they were inadvertantly switched to require log in?

> Dan,
> Many thanks for your input......but still no joy.
> Maybe I could try
> 1. Create a password and then cancel it, in the hope of fooling the
> program or
> 2.Re-install TB (yes, I do have backup of my profile in the way of
> MozBac ) what do you think ? Mike

If you are going to enter a password for it...

First note all the entries in Thunderbird now

Enter the new one and click remember

Now go back into preferences and find out where that password is coming
from, there will be a new entry in the list

On May 24, 11:38 pm, Mike Gellert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
> > Mike Gellert wrote:

> >> Dan,
> >> No, I haven't put a password in and the 'remove master password' is
> >> grayed out. I have no problem getting to my mail, I just cancel the
> >> pop-up screen. I would still like to get rid of it
> >> Mike

> > Do you have any RSS feeds? Have you checked your mail accounts to see if
> > they were inadvertantly switched to require log in?

> Dan,
> Many thanks for your input......but still no joy.
> Maybe I could try
> 1. Create a password and then cancel it, in the hope of fooling the
> program or
> 2.Re-install TB (yes, I do have backup of my profile in the way of
> MozBac ) what do you think ? Mike

all your setting, password, etc, are stored in an area called your TB
profile directory. This directory is located separately from the
program directory. When you uninstall, all you're doing is removing
the program. The profile AND your problem will not be touched.

One: Close TB, then click on the windows start button, then run and
enter:

thunderbird.exe -safe-mode

This will start TB in safe mode. Does the problem continue?

If yes, then Two: Close TB, then click on the windows start button,
then run and enter:

thunderbird.exe -p

this will start the TB profile manager. Create a test profile. Does
the problem continue?