Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > MODELSIM : library generation and mapping

MODELSIM : library generation and mapping

Pasacco

Hi

Hopefully I am allowed ask (kind of) MODELSIM tool problem

I have problem when I try to do COMPILE bunch of VHDL source files.

VHDL source files have hierarchical structure.

--- For example, VHDL code looks like below
---
--- Name of LIBRARY of "module_network" : module_networklib
--- module_network_pkg : definition of component "module_network
---
LIBRARY module_networklib;
USE module_networklib.module_network_pkg.ALL;

Problem is that

When I try to compile the module (in MODELSIM), the tool responds with
error message
Errorvom-19) Failed to access library 'module_networklib' at
"module_networklib"

This is obviously expected, since I do not have "compiled library".

I thought that MODELSIM automatically compiles and creates library.

How can we create "compiled library" for sub-modules ?

Thank you in advance for someone, who has this experience.

Paul Floyd

On 24 May 2007 11:09:18 -0700, Pasacco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Hopefully I am allowed ask (kind of) MODELSIM tool problem
>
> I have problem when I try to do COMPILE bunch of VHDL source files.
>
> VHDL source files have hierarchical structure.

> --- For example, VHDL code looks like below
> ---
> --- Name of LIBRARY of "module_network" : module_networklib
> --- module_network_pkg : definition of component "module_network
> ---
> LIBRARY module_networklib;
> USE module_networklib.module_network_pkg.ALL;
>
> Problem is that
>
> When I try to compile the module (in MODELSIM), the tool responds with
> error message
> Errorvom-19) Failed to access library 'module_networklib' at
> "module_networklib"
>
> This is obviously expected, since I do not have "compiled library".
>
> I thought that MODELSIM automatically compiles and creates library.
>
> How can we create "compiled library" for sub-modules ?
>
> Thank you in advance for someone, who has this experience.

Hi

You should do something like

vlib module_networklib
vcom module_networklib.vdl

A bientot
Paul
(Not speaking for Mentor Graphics)

Pasacco

> vlib module_networklib
> vcom module_networklib.vdl

Library directory is generated and I can see in the MODELSIM GUI.
'vlib' seems okay.

'vcom' is still problematic.

When I type,

Library directory > vcom "VHDL file"

Strangely, following error is encountered.

** Error: (vcom-19) Failed to access library 'work' at "work".
No such file or directory. (errno = ENOENT)

My intention was NOT to use 'work' library.
If anyone has idea, please let me know.

Paul Uiterlinden

Paul Floyd wrote:

> You should do something like
>
> vlib module_networklib
> vcom module_networklib.vdl

Don't forget the -work option to actually compile into library
module_networklib:

vcom -work module_networklib module_networklib.vdl

--
Paul Uiterlinden
www.aimvalley.nl

Duane Clark

Pasacco wrote:
> Hi
>
> Hopefully I am allowed ask (kind of) MODELSIM tool problem
>
> I have problem when I try to do COMPILE bunch of VHDL source files.
>
> VHDL source files have hierarchical structure.

> --- For example, VHDL code looks like below
> ---
> --- Name of LIBRARY of "module_network" : module_networklib
> --- module_network_pkg : definition of component "module_network
> ---
> LIBRARY module_networklib;
> USE module_networklib.module_network_pkg.ALL;

First off, do you really need a library? Is this code all in the same
directory, or is the module_networklib in another directory somewhere
and will be used in other projects? If all this code is in the same
directory and will only be used in this project, then you probably don't
want a library; just compile everything into work.

Assuming you are sure you want a library, and that the code for
module_networklib is in another directory... I would normally simply
create a work directory there named "work" and compile the source into
it normally. Then in the project file where you want to use the library
(modelsim.ini or project.mpf), in the [Library] section add a library
mapping:
module_networklib = /path_to_library/work