Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Persisting Data between pages

Persisting Data between pages

bozzzza@lycos.co.uk

Hi All,

We have a busy website, and I was wondering if we should persist the
data by storing the data table in a session or cookie, and when the
user re-loads the page I can cast the session or cookie back to a
datatable and rebind to the grid.

This is a closed web system so there is no problem getting users to
make sure cookies & javascript is enabled.

When the user clicks refresh for example it will re-load from the sql
server again.

But I am wondering if this is a good idea, apart from the obvious
problem of the data being out of date until the user clicks refresh,
are there any other problems this may cause like using more memory on
the server?

TIA

Michael Nemtsev

Hello http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed),

Why not to use System.Web.Cache for this? where you can set the dependency
on updating cache whenever it required

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/

b> Hi All,
b>
b> We have a busy website, and I was wondering if we should persist the
b> data by storing the data table in a session or cookie, and when the
b> user re-loads the page I can cast the session or cookie back to a
b> datatable and rebind to the grid.
b>
b> This is a closed web system so there is no problem getting users to
b> make sure cookies & javascript is enabled.
b>
b> When the user clicks refresh for example it will re-load from the sql
b> server again.
b>
b> But I am wondering if this is a good idea, apart from the obvious
b> problem of the data being out of date until the user clicks refresh,
b> are there any other problems this may cause like using more memory on
b> the server?
b>
b> TIA
b>

bozzzza@lycos.co.uk

On 24 May, 17:40, Michael Nemtsev <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello (E-Mail Removed),
>
> Why not to use System.Web.Cache for this? where you can set the dependency
> on updating cache whenever it required

Thanks I will have a look at this, I also noticed that even comes with
it's own memory management.

bozzzza@lycos.co.uk

> Why not to use System.Web.Cache for this? where you can set the dependency
> on updating cache whenever it required

Sorry I forgot to mention its a load balance servers, and the data is
user specific.

Michael Nemtsev

Hello (E-Mail Removed),

You means session info?
So there is no standard way for this, and you need to extend the session
provider to add scalability of session info among nodes in cluster

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/

>> Why not to use System.Web.Cache for this? where you can set the
>> dependency on updating cache whenever it required

b> Sorry I forgot to mention its a load balance servers, and the data is
b> user specific.
b>