Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > IDE for beginner

IDE for beginner

Richard Heathfield

Chris Hills said:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard
> Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>Chris Hills said:

<snip>

>>> Solaris is free for non-commercial use.
>>> BSD Unix is also available. FREE AFAIK
>>>
>>> Both of which are vastly superior to Linux
>>> (lights blue touch paper and runs

>><shrug> Whatever works. If it truly is even a little superior to
>>Linux, it must be astounding.

> Why? Linux isn't astounding.

Consider what I'm comparing it to:

* MUSIC
* VM/CMS
* Atari TOS
* AmigaDOS
* MS-DOS
* Pick
* MVS (OS390)
* One or two 'badged' Unices
* Windows (everything from 2.0 "up", except ME and Vista)
* BSD

You say BSD is better, and I'm prepared to believe it despite not having
got on with it very well myself. Nevertheless, when I compare Linux to
the others on that list, they all come off very badly indeed in my
experience. I am overwhelmingly satisfied with Linux in a way that I
never was with any of the others (except for the Win32 API, which I do
think is actually very good from a programmer's perspective,
unfashionable though it is to say so).

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

Chris Hills

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard Heathfield
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Chris Hills said:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard
>> Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>>Chris Hills said:
>>>

><snip>

>>><shrug> Whatever works. If it truly is even a little superior to
>>>Linux, it must be astounding.

>> Why? Linux isn't astounding.

>Consider what I'm comparing it to:
>
>* MUSIC
>* VM/CMS
>* Atari TOS
>* AmigaDOS
>* MS-DOS
>* Pick
>* MVS (OS390)
>* One or two 'badged' Unices
>* Windows (everything from 2.0 "up", except ME and Vista)
>* BSD
>
>You say BSD is better, and I'm prepared to believe it despite not having
>got on with it very well myself. Nevertheless, when I compare Linux to
>the others on that list, they all come off very badly indeed in my
>experience. I am overwhelmingly satisfied with Linux in a way that I
>never was with any of the others (except for the Win32 API, which I do
>think is actually very good from a programmer's perspective,
>unfashionable though it is to say so).

Try comparing Solaris with Linux then

/\/\/ http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) www.phaedsys.org \/\/\

Charlton Wilbur

RH> Having said that, though, I did *try* BSD for a few weeks, and
RH> I just couldn't get on with it. But at least I tried.

My impression is that *BSD and Linux have complementary strengths and
weaknesses, though for a reasonable variety of usage patterns they
tend to average each other out; a particular person's preference tends
to have more to do with which one that person imprinted on first.

Charlton

--
Charlton Wilbur
(E-Mail Removed)

Clever Monkey

Richard Heathfield wrote:
> Chris Hills said:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard
>> Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>> Chris Hills said:
>>>

> <snip>

>>> <shrug> Whatever works. If it truly is even a little superior to
>>> Linux, it must be astounding.

>> Why? Linux isn't astounding.

> Consider what I'm comparing it to:
>
> * MUSIC
> * VM/CMS
> * Atari TOS
> * AmigaDOS
> * MS-DOS
> * Pick
> * MVS (OS390)
> * One or two 'badged' Unices
> * Windows (everything from 2.0 "up", except ME and Vista)
> * BSD
>
> You say BSD is better, and I'm prepared to believe it despite not having
> got on with it very well myself. Nevertheless, when I compare Linux to
> the others on that list, they all come off very badly indeed in my
> experience. I am overwhelmingly satisfied with Linux in a way that I
> never was with any of the others (except for the Win32 API, which I do
> think is actually very good from a programmer's perspective,
> unfashionable though it is to say so).

Hmmm. Even the various time/date APIs?

--
clvrmnky <(E-Mail Removed)>

Direct replies will be blacklisted. Replace "spamtrap" with my name to
contact me directly.

Richard Heathfield

Chris Hills said:

<snip>

> Try comparing Solaris with Linux then

I'll take your word for it. I'm happy with what I've got. It works just
fine, it understands me, I understand it (enough), it's robust enough,
and the price is perfect. Yes, okay, maybe there's even better stuff
out there, but one can only spend so much time checking out OSs. There
are so many other things to be done...

--

Clever Monkey said:

> Richard Heathfield wrote:

<snip>

>> (except for the Win32 API,
>> which I do think is actually very good from a programmer's
>> perspective, unfashionable though it is to say so).
>>

> Hmmm. Even the various time/date APIs?

Sure. They can be a bit clumsy sometimes, but they're comprehensive and
easy to understand.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
http://www.cpax.org.uk
email: rjh at the above domain, - www.

Mark McIntyre

On Thu, 24 May 2007 15:45:29 +0100, in comp.lang.c , Chris Hills
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard Heathfield
>
>Solaris was better than Linux a decade ago. More reliable too.

A decade ago, VMS was better than *anything*. Comparisons a decade old
are as much use as the proverbial fireguard.

As for Solaris today, its a fine OS. Better than Linux? Impossible to
say, since most Solaris is run on Sparc and most linux on x86. Solaris
is rubbish at being a utility OS on a thousand $500 units in a compute
grid. Linux is rubbish at running on a 48-CPU Ultrasparc 4+ with 64GB
of memory. Its like saying "C is better than C++" without defining
for what, on what, and by what criteria. Golly, I managed to get
obtopical.
--
Mark McIntyre

--Brian Kernighan

Mark McIntyre

On Thu, 24 May 2007 12:12:07 +0100, in comp.lang.c , Chris Hills
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, osmium
><(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>
>>Don't all the vendors with good prices migrate to Vista and that's all you
>>can get without a lot of effort?

Vendors practically get paid to preinstall vista because MS needs to
show massive salesfigures to make their shareholders happy about the
sunk costs. But you can trivially get XP or Linux if you want it - go
ask Dell for instance.

>Maybe.... Note everyone is upgrading to Vista. As it needs a lot of HW
>it will be over a year before people upgrade HW and even then they will
>still have older machines with XP.

In my case, never.
--
Mark McIntyre

--Brian Kernighan

Malcolm McLean

"Richard Heathfield" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> osmium said:
>
>> "Chris Hills" writes:
>>
>>> As for working with Vista.... I would stick with XP for the next 12
>>> months.

>> I was thinking more like ten years than 12 months. How do you do
>> that? Don't all the vendors with good prices migrate to Vista and
>> that's all you
>> can get without a lot of effort? Is there an "XP store" someplace?

> For the very best prices, leave Windows behind - you know you want to -
> and instead use something that works. Alternatively, if you feel
> obliged to continue paying for the privilege of using an inferior
> product, please at least try to post details of your traumatic
> experiences only in newsgroups where they are relevant. Thanks.

Which is here.
Normally I am not an "early adopter". However we had a talk from some
marketing person who spoke about the various market segments, and I thought
that just for once I'd be an early adopter. So I bought a Vista machine the
first week they came out.
It was a terrible decision. The MSVC 6.0 compiler has been broekn -
obviously deliberately. That's the compiler all the undergraduates use at
the university. Microsoft have tried to compete with the free software
foundation by releasing a free compiler. You've got to allow them to make
any modifications they want to your system to use it. I've no illegal
software or music so that's no problem. However it is cluntsy and difficult
to use and won't even pass round ASCII strings correctly, obviously because
they don't want to give a real compiler away for free. So far I have
achieved absolutely nothing useful with it, despite spend whole days
downloading the SDK (no documentation of course), fiddling with the brand
new C++-like GUI, seeing what happens with and without stdafx.h file etc etc
etc.
OK some of this is my fault because I am not good at getting tools to work.
I still can't touch type, for example. But Vista is a horrid develoment
platform. clc subsribers beware.
--
Free games and programming goodies.
http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~bgy1mm

Carramba

(E-Mail Removed) skrev:
> Which IDE would you recommend for a beginner doing C programming
> possibly one which would work with Windows Vista and does syntax
> highlighting?

I would sugest using http://www.eclipse.org/cdt/ (use lates 4 RC1) with
http://www.cygwin.com/ if you are using XP.
works very well, and you *get unix* on XP.
Have many greate futures and templates that you can build this saves a
lot of time , besides own syntax highlighting and code formatting.

cheers!