Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > New MCSE Student

New MCSE Student

Steven Swallow

Hi all,

I've just started studying my MCSE (starting with the first of the Core
exams 70-290). My workplace is unwilling to pay, so I've decided to self
study and get out of my "go nowhere" job.

As a noob (although I've been in the IT trade for about 8 years, from
Helpdesk through to NT4 and Wink2K Server installs, network design and
upgrades etc), I wondered if any of you guys had some insights and
suggestions, pitfalls to watch out for etc.

I'm self studying from the MS Press books and will only do courses if I have
to (like I say, I'm funding it myself). I'm hoping to do roughly one exam
every 2 months. Do I have a time limit from when I get my first exam to
when I get my last?

Any insights you guys and gals can share would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Steve Swallow

Ralf

Steven, we all have a time limit my friend... it's just
that most of us don't know what it is...

Good luck with your studies though.

Doom

"Steven Swallow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ckcfgl$ck2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I've just started studying my MCSE (starting with the first of the Core
> exams 70-290). My workplace is unwilling to pay, so I've decided to self
> study and get out of my "go nowhere" job.

I think it's good that you want to get certified but my question is this: In
this job market where are you planning on going to?

TechGeekPro

On Oct 11, 2004 at 10:25am "Doom" blathered:

> I think it's good that you want to get certified but my question is
> this: In this job market where are you planning on going to?

Isn't that Microsoft's new slogan: Where did you want to go today?

--
TechGeekPro, MCNGP #36
MCNGP.com - We're here to help!

Steven L Umbach

You have at least a couple of years if you are going the Windows 2003 route.
I would not rely on one book for each test though. I HIGHLY recommend that
you also use Mark Minasi's mastering Windows 2003 Server as a learning book.
It is not an MCSE book but it is very good at explaining concepts with lots
of real world examples, explanations, and many tricks and traps throughout.
Also take advantage of the free resources at Microsoft's website such as the
various white papers and the Widows 2003 Server Deployment Kit as shown in
the first link below. You will find the built in Windows help files also
extremely valuable learning tool. Right clicking a setting or dragging the ?
mark [from top right hand corner of a pop up box] to the setting will often
open the help file for that setting.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...deploykit.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Sec...g/tcgch00.mspx --
Great security reference for your studies.
http://labmice.techtarget.com/windows2003/default.htm -- Labmice site.
Tremendous amount of information available in a well organized site.

If you are disciplined and can learn on your own I suggest you forget
classes and instead sep up a small test network at home with at least three
computers. You can do that with one monitor if need be and use a KVM switch
to switch between computers and/or use Remote Desktop. You can get used Dell
computers for around $150 shipped with thirty day warranty on Ebay [no
monitor]. A 500Mhz with minimum 128 ram or better yet 256 ram and a hard
drive of at least 5G would be great. A 5G drive would allow you to have dual
boot operating systems to give you great flexability in scenrios with three
computers. I have passed 15 exams with no classroom time and never came
close to failing one. However do NOT get too bummed out if you fail one,
just consider it a learning experience and be determined to be better
prepared the next time. Good luck. --- Steve

"Steven Swallow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ckcfgl$ck2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I've just started studying my MCSE (starting with the first of the Core
> exams 70-290). My workplace is unwilling to pay, so I've decided to self
> study and get out of my "go nowhere" job.
>
> As a noob (although I've been in the IT trade for about 8 years, from
> Helpdesk through to NT4 and Wink2K Server installs, network design and
> upgrades etc), I wondered if any of you guys had some insights and
> suggestions, pitfalls to watch out for etc.
>
> I'm self studying from the MS Press books and will only do courses if I
> have to (like I say, I'm funding it myself). I'm hoping to do roughly one
> exam every 2 months. Do I have a time limit from when I get my first exam
> to when I get my last?
>
> Any insights you guys and gals can share would be most appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve Swallow

Consultant

is your moms' name robin?

"Steven Swallow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ckcfgl$ck2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I've just started studying my MCSE (starting with the first of the Core
> exams 70-290). My workplace is unwilling to pay, so I've decided to self
> study and get out of my "go nowhere" job.
>
> As a noob (although I've been in the IT trade for about 8 years, from
> Helpdesk through to NT4 and Wink2K Server installs, network design and
> upgrades etc), I wondered if any of you guys had some insights and
> suggestions, pitfalls to watch out for etc.
>
> I'm self studying from the MS Press books and will only do courses if I
> have to (like I say, I'm funding it myself). I'm hoping to do roughly one
> exam every 2 months. Do I have a time limit from when I get my first exam
> to when I get my last?
>
> Any insights you guys and gals can share would be most appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve Swallow

Neil

incase you missed it "Doom" <(E-Mail Removed)> said in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> In
> this job market where are you planning on going to?

_from_ Burger King to McDonald's or the other way around?

--
Neil MCNGP #30

Neil

incase you missed it "Steven Swallow" <(E-Mail Removed)>
said in news:ckcfgl$ck2$(E-Mail Removed):

> I'm self studying from the MS Press books and will only do courses if
> I have to (like I say, I'm funding it myself). I'm hoping to do
> roughly one exam every 2 months. Do I have a time limit from when I
> get my first exam to when I get my last?

no time limits so you may want to (if anything) add some extra study time
in there. spend lots of time USING teh product. you can get free
downloads of Most of the software from MS (time limited eval copies) that
woudl be ideal for study. consider getting a copy of VMWare or MS's VPC
so that you can run multiple OS's on a single box. also consider getting
multiple PC's to test some of the networking functionality. Good luck...

--
Neil MCNGP #30

Neil

incase you missed it "Consultant" <(E-Mail Removed)> said in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> is your moms' name robin?

formerly Spitz?

--
Neil MCNGP #30

JaR

> incase you missed it "Doom" <(E-Mail Removed)> said in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> In
>> this job market where are you planning on going to?
>>

> _from_ Burger King to McDonald's or the other way around?

Movin' up.

Going to work for Dennys.

JaR
Promotional Candidate

New interested student for MCSE Rajeev kumar gupta MCSE 1 11-04-2004 02:54 PM
MCSE student Babak Ehsani MCSE 20 08-21-2004 12:06 AM
REQ: New Question Form ( new JavaScript Student ) Sue Javascript 8 12-13-2003 11:37 PM
Re: Computeach Mcse Student baul MCSE 0 07-29-2003 07:36 PM

Advertisments