Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Calling an IP phone from a computer

Calling an IP phone from a computer

Conan Kelly

Hello all,

I know next to nothing about VoIP, so please bear with me.

We are a small company (6 people in the office, 5 IP phones (7960 Series),
external VoIP Service Provider).

I was wondering if it is possible to call one of our IP phones from one of
the other computers on our network using Windows Phone Dialer (C:\Program
Files\Windows NT\dialer.exe)? Is Windows Phone Dialer considered a "soft
phone".

Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

Conan Kelly

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

"Conan Kelly" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I was wondering if it is possible to call one of our IP phones from one of
> the other computers on our network using Windows Phone Dialer (C:\Program
> Files\Windows NT\dialer.exe)? Is Windows Phone Dialer considered a "soft
> phone".

I don't know anything about windows machines or if that is a SIP phone
program so I can't give you an ack/nack on that. Even if that program
won't do the trick for you there are plenty of free SIP phone programs
kicking around, that won't be your sticking point. The big problem
will be to get your provider to allow you to make inbound calls to
them via SIP. Many of them have a policy where the only thing they
allow is incoming calls via the telco. I would call them up and ask
if they do allow inbound SIP calls and what the hostname of the sip
machine is and what phone number to use in the SIP address to make a
certain phone ring. Usually it will be the full 10-digit phone number
(without any leading "1"), but it could really be anything ranging
from just the trailing 4 or 5 digits to the 10-digit number with "+1"
prefixed. Then with that hostname and phone number in hand you get
your SIP phone program to call phone_number@full_hostname.

I've got a SIP server running here, and one of the handiest things is
being able to call other folks directly via the internet with no telco
voice lines involved.

(If you do need to find a SIP phone program, Google for "soft phone".
You'll find more than you can shake a stick at.)

-wolfgang
Hints for IPv6 on FC6 http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/fedora/ipv6-tunnel.html

Conan Kelly

Wolfgang,

Thanks for the feedback.

Once again, please forgive my ignorance (please feel free to educate me as
much as you see fit)

From the looks of it, I should be able to use Windows Phone Dialer to make a
PC to PC call using ?H323? (have not yet tried to do this)

I was hoping that I could make a PC to IP Phone (Cisco Systems 7960 series)
(which I THINK is on the same network (?subnet?) as the computers) call
using the same method.

From your response I'm getting that IP Phones can only make/receive calls
using SIP and involving a SIP server. <-- Is this correct?

Thanks again for all of your help,

Conan

"Wolfgang S. Rupprecht" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Conan Kelly" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> I was wondering if it is possible to call one of our IP phones from one
>> of
>> the other computers on our network using Windows Phone Dialer (C:\Program
>> Files\Windows NT\dialer.exe)? Is Windows Phone Dialer considered a "soft
>> phone".

> I don't know anything about windows machines or if that is a SIP phone
> program so I can't give you an ack/nack on that. Even if that program
> won't do the trick for you there are plenty of free SIP phone programs
> kicking around, that won't be your sticking point. The big problem
> will be to get your provider to allow you to make inbound calls to
> them via SIP. Many of them have a policy where the only thing they
> allow is incoming calls via the telco. I would call them up and ask
> if they do allow inbound SIP calls and what the hostname of the sip
> machine is and what phone number to use in the SIP address to make a
> certain phone ring. Usually it will be the full 10-digit phone number
> (without any leading "1"), but it could really be anything ranging
> from just the trailing 4 or 5 digits to the 10-digit number with "+1"
> prefixed. Then with that hostname and phone number in hand you get
> your SIP phone program to call phone_number@full_hostname.
>
> I've got a SIP server running here, and one of the handiest things is
> being able to call other folks directly via the internet with no telco
> voice lines involved.
>
> (If you do need to find a SIP phone program, Google for "soft phone".
> You'll find more than you can shake a stick at.)
>
> -wolfgang
> --
> Wolfgang S. Rupprecht http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
> Hints for IPv6 on FC6
> http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/fedora/ipv6-tunnel.html

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

"Conan Kelly" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> From your response I'm getting that IP Phones can only make/receive calls
> using SIP and involving a SIP server. <-- Is this correct?

Your phones may be able to receive direct calls. It all depends on
the firmware and how the phones are setup. Some phones will only
allow SIP connections from their SIP server. It certainly won't be
convenient to call the phones directly unless you happen to know the
phone's hostname.

> From the looks of it, I should be able to use Windows Phone Dialer to make a
> PC to PC call using ?H323? (have not yet tried to do this)

As for H323, that's not the right protocol. You want SIP/RTP/ulaw.

-wolfgang
Hints for IPv6 on FC6 http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/fedora/ipv6-tunnel.html

John McKenzie

Conan:

I know there was a programme included with Windows called Windows Dialer
that just controlled the computer's modem. This may be different than what
you are referring to, but I know that a super simple modem dialer called
"Windows Dialer" did exist.

There are many SIP based Softphones out there. Gizmo seems alright so
far, although I admit I have not used it much. It is free and I have one
friend who really likes it.

(http://www.gizmoproject.com/)

Conan Kelly

"Wolfgang S. Rupprecht" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Conan Kelly" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> I was wondering if it is possible to call one of our IP phones from one
>> of
>> the other computers on our network using Windows Phone Dialer (C:\Program
>> Files\Windows NT\dialer.exe)? Is Windows Phone Dialer considered a "soft
>> phone".

> I don't know anything about windows machines or if that is a SIP phone
> program so I can't give you an ack/nack on that. Even if that program
> won't do the trick for you there are plenty of free SIP phone programs
> kicking around, that won't be your sticking point. The big problem
> will be to get your provider to allow you to make inbound calls to
> them via SIP. Many of them have a policy where the only thing they
> allow is incoming calls via the telco. I would call them up and ask
> if they do allow inbound SIP calls and what the hostname of the sip
> machine is and what phone number to use in the SIP address to make a
> certain phone ring. Usually it will be the full 10-digit phone number
> (without any leading "1"), but it could really be anything ranging
> from just the trailing 4 or 5 digits to the 10-digit number with "+1"
> prefixed. Then with that hostname and phone number in hand you get
> your SIP phone program to call phone_number@full_hostname.
>
> -wolfgang

Wolfgang,

Thanks again for all of your help.

Is there any way to get to get the info you listed above by looking at the
phone's settings (Cisco Systems 7960 Series)?

Conan

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

"Conan Kelly" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Wolfgang,
>
> Thanks again for all of your help.

You're welcome.

> Is there any way to get to get the info you listed above by looking at the
> phone's settings (Cisco Systems 7960 Series)?

You can probably get the phone's IP address from the phone itself --
but if it is assigned by dhcp, it may not be constant. A few day's
later it may be something else. The "right" way to do this is connect
to the phone's sip server.

-wolfgang
IPv6 on Fedora 7 http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/fedora/ipv6-tunnel.html