Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > GP.chm for Windows Server 2003

GP.chm for Windows Server 2003

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIYXJwZXI=?=

I used gp.chm for windows 2K, very extensively. Is there (where?) an
equivalent gp.chm (name?) for Windows Server 2003? I can't find one.
--
Will Harper,
MCSE, MCT, CCNA, MCSA, A+, N+ CTT+ Security+ (etc)

LnkWizard

"Will Harper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I used gp.chm for windows 2K, very extensively. Is there (where?) an
> equivalent gp.chm (name?) for Windows Server 2003? I can't find one.
> --
> Will Harper,
> MCSE, MCT, CCNA, MCSA, A+, N+ CTT+ Security+ (etc)
> MCP 442293
> Independent Trainer/Consultant

May I suggest running a search under google or possibly a
the microsoft website. I managed to find the W2k3 Resource
kit which might have what you are looking for

LnkWizard MCNGP 2^5

Neil

incase you missed it "=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIYXJwZXI=?=" <(E-Mail Removed)>
said in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I used gp.chm for windows 2K, very extensively. Is there (where?) an
> equivalent gp.chm (name?) for Windows Server 2003? I can't find one.

gpedit.chm

--
Neil MCNGP #30

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIYXJwZXI=?=

Windows 2003 Reskit ONLY has rktools.chm (or at least the copies which I have
from both Technet and MSDN).

I know about google. Did you find a listing for gp.chm?

"LnkWizard" wrote:

> "Will Harper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I used gp.chm for windows 2K, very extensively. Is there (where?) an
> > equivalent gp.chm (name?) for Windows Server 2003? I can't find one.
> > --
> > Will Harper,
> > MCSE, MCT, CCNA, MCSA, A+, N+ CTT+ Security+ (etc)
> > MCP 442293
> > Independent Trainer/Consultant

> May I suggest running a search under google or possibly a
> the microsoft website. I managed to find the W2k3 Resource
> kit which might have what you are looking for

> LnkWizard MCNGP 2^5
>
> "He who does not test himself is worthless indeed"

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIYXJwZXI=?=

gpedit.chm only has information on running gpedit - and a few examples. For
instance try a search, for "disk quotas" (It's in Administrative Templates |
system). w2k's gp.chm had a marvelous search capabilitiy, that, except for a
few items that are included in the system help file, will give the full path
to every group policy setting.

"Neil" wrote:

> incase you missed it "=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIYXJwZXI=?=" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> said in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I used gp.chm for windows 2K, very extensively. Is there (where?) an
> > equivalent gp.chm (name?) for Windows Server 2003? I can't find one.

> gpedit.chm
>
> --
> Neil MCNGP #30
> the "curious" hair on the soap of society

LnkWizard

"Will Harper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Windows 2003 Reskit ONLY has rktools.chm (or at least the copies which I

have
> from both Technet and MSDN).
>
> I know about google. Did you find a listing for gp.chm?

<snip>

What is it exactly you are trying to do? Manage group policy?
The reason I ask is it looks like they have added a specialized
group policy management tool to the feature packs for W2k3 server.

LnkWizard MCNGP 2^5

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIYXJwZXI=?=

Please note the signature line.... I made my request VERY CLEAR. I'm
looking for a .chm with the same functionality of the gp.chm in the Windows
2000 resource kit. It's main benefit is as a line-by-line lookup tool. If
you haven't used gp.msc, you won't know what I'm talking about - and if you
have, you'll know what functions I'm looking for.

"LnkWizard" wrote:

> "Will Harper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Windows 2003 Reskit ONLY has rktools.chm (or at least the copies which I

> have
> > from both Technet and MSDN).
> >
> > I know about google. Did you find a listing for gp.chm?
> >

> <snip>
>

> What is it exactly you are trying to do? Manage group policy?
> The reason I ask is it looks like they have added a specialized
> group policy management tool to the feature packs for W2k3 server.

> LnkWizard MCNGP 2^5
>
> "He who does not test himself is worthless indeed"

Wayne McGlinn

If that's all you're looking for, do a search on "policysettings.xls". It's
a common, well known spreadsheet used by engineers and instructors.

Wayne

"Will Harper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> gpedit.chm only has information on running gpedit - and a few examples.

For
> instance try a search, for "disk quotas" (It's in Administrative Templates

> system). w2k's gp.chm had a marvelous search capabilitiy, that, except

for a
> few items that are included in the system help file, will give the full

path
> to every group policy setting.
>
> "Neil" wrote:
>
> > incase you missed it "=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIYXJwZXI=?="

<(E-Mail Removed)>
> > said in news:(E-Mail Removed):
> >
> > > I used gp.chm for windows 2K, very extensively. Is there (where?) an
> > > equivalent gp.chm (name?) for Windows Server 2003? I can't find one.

> > gpedit.chm
> >
> > --
> > Neil MCNGP #30
> > the "curious" hair on the soap of society

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIYXJwZXI=?=

That still isn't a replacement for gp.chm. Policysettings.xls (unless you
know of one I haven't found) ONLY lists ADM templates. There is so much more
than that.

"Wayne McGlinn" wrote:

> If that's all you're looking for, do a search on "policysettings.xls". It's
> a common, well known spreadsheet used by engineers and instructors.
>
> Wayne
>
> "Will Harper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > gpedit.chm only has information on running gpedit - and a few examples.

> For
> > instance try a search, for "disk quotas" (It's in Administrative Templates

> > system). w2k's gp.chm had a marvelous search capabilitiy, that, except

> for a
> > few items that are included in the system help file, will give the full

> path
> > to every group policy setting.
> >
> > "Neil" wrote:
> >
> > > incase you missed it "=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBIYXJwZXI=?="

> <(E-Mail Removed)>

> > > gpedit.chm
> > >
> > > --
> > > Neil MCNGP #30
> > > the "curious" hair on the soap of society

LnkWizard

"Will Harper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Please note the signature line.... I made my request VERY CLEAR. I'm
> looking for a .chm with the same functionality of the gp.chm in the

Windows
> 2000 resource kit. It's main benefit is as a line-by-line lookup tool.

If
> you haven't used gp.msc, you won't know what I'm talking about - and if

you
> have, you'll know what functions I'm looking for.

<snip>

First off please calm down, I am doing my best to help you.
Since I cannot read minds and don't know what you are
trying to do or your exact needs, I was doing what I could to
assist you in your endeavor (yes, I did read the original post
and its follow ups, but as we both know there is usually more
to the story than what could be put into a simple newsgroup
post). As I haven't had an opportunity to use the tool you
mention, I have only your description of it to work with, thereby
limiting my knowledge of what it is you are trying to achieve.

From the looks of things there is no GP.CHM or anything like it
currently available for the W2k3 system so I was simply offering
possible alternatives. I fully realize your frustration, since I
have been there in other circumstances, so again, please don't
shoot the messenger.

LnkWizard MCNGP 2^5