Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Problem with reassigning drive letter to DVD combo drive

Problem with reassigning drive letter to DVD combo drive

Jimmy Dean

Have a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 mobo with WinXP Pro SP2

Has one IDE controller to which are connected a DVD burner (Master)
and DVD-combo driver (Slave).

The DVD burner I can reassign to X: and it sticks. When I reassign the
DVD combo drive to Z:, it only lasts until the next reboot, then it
reverts to the natural assignment I:

Strangely reassigned Z: stuck when the PC was first setup but the
problem only started after I changed the CPU fan control mode in the
BIOS from Auto to Intel QST.

The other odd thing about the two drives is that there is no Recording
tab in their Properties dialogues.

Any clues on this one??

thanks

jd

Ron Martell

Jimmy Dean <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Have a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 mobo with WinXP Pro SP2
>
>Has one IDE controller to which are connected a DVD burner (Master)
>and DVD-combo driver (Slave).
>
>The DVD burner I can reassign to X: and it sticks. When I reassign the
>DVD combo drive to Z:, it only lasts until the next reboot, then it
>reverts to the natural assignment I:
>
>Strangely reassigned Z: stuck when the PC was first setup but the
>problem only started after I changed the CPU fan control mode in the
>BIOS from Auto to Intel QST.
>
>The other odd thing about the two drives is that there is no Recording
>tab in their Properties dialogues.
>
>Any clues on this one??
>
>thanks
>
>jd

For the no recording tab issue see the following article in the
Microsoft Knowledge Base:

CD-R drive or CD-RW drive is not recognized as a recordable device
Article ID : 316529
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=316529

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 200
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

Jimmy Dean

On Wed, 23 May 2007 17:36:42 GMT, Ron Martell <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
>For the no recording tab issue see the following article in the
>Microsoft Knowledge Base:
>
>CD-R drive or CD-RW drive is not recognized as a recordable device
>Article ID : 316529
>http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=316529

Thanks, that works.

Noted HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices lists \DosDevices\C:
etc. and changes if a drive letter is reassigned i.e. \DosDevices\I:
becomes \DosDevices\Z: for example (but still resets after reboot)

>Good luck
>

>Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

jd

Ron Martell

Jimmy Dean <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 23 May 2007 17:36:42 GMT, Ron Martell <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>>For the no recording tab issue see the following article in the
>>Microsoft Knowledge Base:
>>
>>CD-R drive or CD-RW drive is not recognized as a recordable device
>>Article ID : 316529
>>http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=316529

>Thanks, that works.
>
>Noted HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices lists \DosDevices\C:
>etc. and changes if a drive letter is reassigned i.e. \DosDevices\I:
>becomes \DosDevices\Z: for example (but still resets after reboot)

Do you have any "system security" software installed? Some of these
products take it onto themselves to be judge and jury as to what is a
wanted changed and what is unwanted. So it could be that a do-gooder
security application is undoing your changes on the pretext of
protecting your system. Spybot Search and Destroy's Tea Timer does
this sort of thing, as do a lot of others.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 200
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
Syberfix Remote Computer Repair

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

Jimmy Dean

On Thu, 24 May 2007 17:13:40 GMT, Ron Martell <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
>Do you have any "system security" software installed?

No just AV and firewall + Windows Defender and IE7.

> Some of these products take it onto themselves to be judge and jury as to what is a
> wanted changed and what is unwanted. So it could be that a do-gooder
> security application is undoing your changes on the pretext of
> protecting your system. Spybot Search and Destroy's Tea Timer does
> this sort of thing, as do a lot of others.

That's interesting. Odd that it happens for the DVD combo but not the
DVD-RAM.

I upgraded the BIOS to latest F11 (was F10) and did not enable Intel
QST but this did not fix the problem.

BTW do you know of any good motherboard monitor software to monitor
temps, volts and fan RPM for recent mainboards. MBM 5.3.7.0 does not
give sensible readings for many of these?

TIA

jd

Jimmy Dean

On Thu, 24 May 2007 00:10:16 +1000, Jimmy Dean <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Have a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 mobo with WinXP Pro SP2
>
>Has one IDE controller to which are connected a DVD burner (Master)
>and DVD-combo driver (Slave).
>
>The DVD burner I can reassign to X: and it sticks. When I reassign the
>DVD combo drive to Z:, it only lasts until the next reboot, then it
>reverts to the natural assignment I:

Apparently the problem was due to ZoneAlarm 7.

The solution was to uninstall ZA and reboot.

Then change the drive assignment as desired.

Reinstall ZA.

Power OFF/ON => drive reassignment holds.

jd