Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Importing .mpg file to Windows Movie Maker

Importing .mpg file to Windows Movie Maker

=?Utf-8?B?R2F6?=

Hi
error message says codec not installed to play on my computer (although it
does play in windows media player). which codec would i need? thx

Theo

According to Windows Movie Maker help:

Download codecs automatically

Specifies that Windows Movie Maker attempts to download
codecs automatically when you choose to import a video or
audio file that uses a codec that is not installed on your
computer. You must be connected to the Internet for this
option to work. If the appropriate codec is found on a
Microsoft Web site, the codec is then downloaded and
installed silently without any user intervention.

If you do not want codecs to be installed automatically on
your computer, clear this check box. To install codecs, you
must have the appropriate Administrator permissions.

Gaz wrote:
> Hi
> error message says codec not installed to play on my computer (although it
> does play in windows media player). which codec would i need? thx

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Gaz:
The mpg file plays fine in WMP because (the default WMP) it is a 32-bit app
and there is also a 32-bit mpg decoder in your OS (You make no mention to it
but I guess it is Vista x64).
Movie Maker is 64-bit and there is no default 64-bit mpg decoder installed.
So, it "rejects" the mpg video on account of that.

Solution:
You need a 64-bit decoder.
Where:
http://ffdshow.faireal.net/mirror/ffdshow/
Download link:
http://ffdshow.faireal.net/mirror/ff...64-rev2546.exe
This is the 64-bit version of the multiformat decoder ffdshow.

Install it and you will also be able to use WMP 64-bit, the one buried in
the Program Files folder.

Carlos