Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Vista reactivation required after Microsoft Update optional update

Vista reactivation required after Microsoft Update optional update

Colin Barnhorst

As Felix reported a few days ago, there is an optional update on Microsoft
Update that requires reactivation of Vista after the update is installed. I
did two updates today and discovered that my activation status had changed
from Activated to "Three days remaining....".

The updates today were:

NVIDIA Corporation - Storage - NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller

KB936824 (the iPod update)

Since the system drive figures very importantly in the hardware hash that is
used to calculate when reactivation is required, my bet would be that the
NVIDIA update would cause reactivation because it is a change involving the
hard drive controller. (note: my update history shows this update was
installed successfully twice and that does not make a lot of sense either.)
But my assumption means nothing and maybe it was the iPod update. Hardware
is involved there too.

In any case, be aware that an optional update is on the server that will
require you to use phone activation to reactivate Vista following
installation of the update. Internet activation will not be accepted.

Colin Barnhorst

A further thought. I saw an option in the activation wizard that I have not
seen before. In addition to the choices to activate online now, remind me
later, etc. I saw an option that said my product key was not valid and
offered information on how to obtain a valid one. That suggests to me that
the offending update is stepping on the result of the latest Genuine Windows
check and changing that result from "yes" to "no."

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> As Felix reported a few days ago, there is an optional update on Microsoft
> Update that requires reactivation of Vista after the update is installed.
> I did two updates today and discovered that my activation status had
> changed from Activated to "Three days remaining....".
>
> The updates today were:
>
> NVIDIA Corporation - Storage - NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller
>
> KB936824 (the iPod update)
>
> Since the system drive figures very importantly in the hardware hash that
> is used to calculate when reactivation is required, my bet would be that
> the NVIDIA update would cause reactivation because it is a change
> involving the hard drive controller. (note: my update history shows this
> update was installed successfully twice and that does not make a lot of
> sense either.) But my assumption means nothing and maybe it was the iPod
> update. Hardware is involved there too.
>
> In any case, be aware that an optional update is on the server that will
> require you to use phone activation to reactivate Vista following
> installation of the update. Internet activation will not be accepted.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Colin:
As a side note I have become reluctant to install hardware driver updates
from Microsoft.
This started when a couple of months ago MS posted a RAID driver for NForce4
which made my system crash.
Unless I have no driver, i.e. I have an exclamation sign in Device Manager,
I only use hardware drivers from the chipset manufacturer (NVidia, ATI, etc.)
Latest update for NForce4 chipset was on Feb 5.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce4...a64_15.00.html
and so far, no news on NVidia.
Can you post the SATA controller version you got from MS so that I can
compare it with the one included in the above package?
Carlos

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> As Felix reported a few days ago, there is an optional update on Microsoft
> Update that requires reactivation of Vista after the update is installed. I
> did two updates today and discovered that my activation status had changed
> from Activated to "Three days remaining....".
>
> The updates today were:
>
> NVIDIA Corporation - Storage - NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller
>
> KB936824 (the iPod update)
>
> Since the system drive figures very importantly in the hardware hash that is
> used to calculate when reactivation is required, my bet would be that the
> NVIDIA update would cause reactivation because it is a change involving the
> hard drive controller. (note: my update history shows this update was
> installed successfully twice and that does not make a lot of sense either.)
> But my assumption means nothing and maybe it was the iPod update. Hardware
> is involved there too.
>
> In any case, be aware that an optional update is on the server that will
> require you to use phone activation to reactivate Vista following
> installation of the update. Internet activation will not be accepted.

Colin Barnhorst

I don't know how to determine the controller version associated with the
update. How did you do that?

This is the explanation of the update from my Update History:

"NVIDIA Corporation - Storage - NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller

Installation date: ‎5/‎22/‎2007 2:19 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Optional

NVIDIA Corporation Storage sofware update released in December, 2006

More information:
http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20028236

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub"

And this is the Device Manager details for the controller:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0054&SUBSYS_81621043&REV_F3
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0054&SUBSYS_81621043
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0054&CC_010185
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0054&CC_0101

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Colin:
> As a side note I have become reluctant to install hardware driver updates
> from Microsoft.
> This started when a couple of months ago MS posted a RAID driver for
> NForce4
> which made my system crash.
> Unless I have no driver, i.e. I have an exclamation sign in Device
> Manager,
> I only use hardware drivers from the chipset manufacturer (NVidia, ATI,
> etc.)
> Latest update for NForce4 chipset was on Feb 5.
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce4...a64_15.00.html
> and so far, no news on NVidia.
> Can you post the SATA controller version you got from MS so that I can
> compare it with the one included in the above package?
> Carlos
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> As Felix reported a few days ago, there is an optional update on
>> Microsoft
>> Update that requires reactivation of Vista after the update is installed.
>> did two updates today and discovered that my activation status had
>> changed
>> from Activated to "Three days remaining....".
>>
>> The updates today were:
>>
>> NVIDIA Corporation - Storage - NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller
>>
>> KB936824 (the iPod update)
>>
>> Since the system drive figures very importantly in the hardware hash that
>> is
>> used to calculate when reactivation is required, my bet would be that the
>> NVIDIA update would cause reactivation because it is a change involving
>> the
>> hard drive controller. (note: my update history shows this update was
>> installed successfully twice and that does not make a lot of sense
>> either.)
>> But my assumption means nothing and maybe it was the iPod update.
>> Hardware
>> is involved there too.
>>
>> In any case, be aware that an optional update is on the server that will
>> require you to use phone activation to reactivate Vista following
>> installation of the update. Internet activation will not be accepted.

Dominic Payer

The SATA IDE driver installed on my system by the Microsoft update is 8.64.

The official nVidia version in the v15 driver package is 9.31 WHQL.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Colin:
> As a side note I have become reluctant to install hardware driver updates
> from Microsoft.
> This started when a couple of months ago MS posted a RAID driver for
> NForce4
> which made my system crash.
> Unless I have no driver, i.e. I have an exclamation sign in Device
> Manager,
> I only use hardware drivers from the chipset manufacturer (NVidia, ATI,
> etc.)
> Latest update for NForce4 chipset was on Feb 5.
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce4...a64_15.00.html
> and so far, no news on NVidia.
> Can you post the SATA controller version you got from MS so that I can
> compare it with the one included in the above package?
> Carlos
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> As Felix reported a few days ago, there is an optional update on
>> Microsoft
>> Update that requires reactivation of Vista after the update is installed.
>> did two updates today and discovered that my activation status had
>> changed
>> from Activated to "Three days remaining....".
>>
>> The updates today were:
>>
>> NVIDIA Corporation - Storage - NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller
>>
>> KB936824 (the iPod update)
>>
>> Since the system drive figures very importantly in the hardware hash that
>> is
>> used to calculate when reactivation is required, my bet would be that the
>> NVIDIA update would cause reactivation because it is a change involving
>> the
>> hard drive controller. (note: my update history shows this update was
>> installed successfully twice and that does not make a lot of sense
>> either.)
>> But my assumption means nothing and maybe it was the iPod update.
>> Hardware
>> is involved there too.
>>
>> In any case, be aware that an optional update is on the server that will
>> require you to use phone activation to reactivate Vista following
>> installation of the update. Internet activation will not be accepted.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Dominic:
So, assuming the 8.64's were developed by NVidia (remember the song "it is
up to the hardware manufacturer to develop drivers...blah, blah, blah"?), it
means that MS is offering drivers that are older than the ones posted by
NVidia at their web site.
I am not at a Vista machine right now but I can recall that in one of the
tabs in Device Manager (right click on the SATA device, choose properties) it
is now possible to determine which is the inf file that installed the driver.
If such is the case and my memory is right, it would be then possible to
open that file and see additional details, e.g.: manufacturer, date, version,
etc.
This way we could double check if the 8.64's belong to NVidia.
Carlos

"Dominic Payer" wrote:

> The SATA IDE driver installed on my system by the Microsoft update is 8.64.
>
> The official nVidia version in the v15 driver package is 9.31 WHQL.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Colin:
> > As a side note I have become reluctant to install hardware driver updates
> > from Microsoft.
> > This started when a couple of months ago MS posted a RAID driver for
> > NForce4
> > which made my system crash.
> > Unless I have no driver, i.e. I have an exclamation sign in Device
> > Manager,
> > I only use hardware drivers from the chipset manufacturer (NVidia, ATI,
> > etc.)
> > Latest update for NForce4 chipset was on Feb 5.
> > http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce4...a64_15.00.html
> > and so far, no news on NVidia.
> > Can you post the SATA controller version you got from MS so that I can
> > compare it with the one included in the above package?
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
> >
> >> As Felix reported a few days ago, there is an optional update on
> >> Microsoft
> >> Update that requires reactivation of Vista after the update is installed.
> >> did two updates today and discovered that my activation status had
> >> changed
> >> from Activated to "Three days remaining....".
> >>
> >> The updates today were:
> >>
> >> NVIDIA Corporation - Storage - NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller
> >>
> >> KB936824 (the iPod update)
> >>
> >> Since the system drive figures very importantly in the hardware hash that
> >> is
> >> used to calculate when reactivation is required, my bet would be that the
> >> NVIDIA update would cause reactivation because it is a change involving
> >> the
> >> hard drive controller. (note: my update history shows this update was
> >> installed successfully twice and that does not make a lot of sense
> >> either.)
> >> But my assumption means nothing and maybe it was the iPod update.
> >> Hardware
> >> is involved there too.
> >>
> >> In any case, be aware that an optional update is on the server that will
> >> require you to use phone activation to reactivate Vista following
> >> installation of the update. Internet activation will not be accepted.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Colin:
I am not at a Vista machine right now, but if you could get to the "Details"
tab, the controller version should show up in the "Controller" tab.
It seems that Dominic found that these are v8.64 and that the NVidia ones
(in the web) are v9.31
Looks like MS is behind schedule here.
Carlos

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> KB936824 (the iPod update)
> >>
> >> Since the system drive figures very importantly in the hardware hash that
> >> is
> >> used to calculate when reactivation is required, my bet would be that the
> >> NVIDIA update would cause reactivation because it is a change involving
> >> the
> >> hard drive controller. (note: my update history shows this update was
> >> installed successfully twice and that does not make a lot of sense
> >> either.)
> >> But my assumption means nothing and maybe it was the iPod update.
> >> Hardware
> >> is involved there too.
> >>
> >> In any case, be aware that an optional update is on the server that will
> >> require you to use phone activation to reactivate Vista following
> >> installation of the update. Internet activation will not be accepted.

The version is is 8.24, not 8.64. The author is nVidia with a driver date of
23/12/2006 in Device Manager.

The nvstor64.sys file in system32/drivers is 5.10.2600.0824 and shows a Date
modified of 05/01/2007.
The nvstor64.sys file in the v15 set is 5.10.2600.0931with a Date modified
of 22/12/2006.
Both files are attributed to nVidia.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dominic:
> So, assuming the 8.64's were developed by NVidia (remember the song "it is
> up to the hardware manufacturer to develop drivers...blah, blah, blah"?),
> it
> means that MS is offering drivers that are older than the ones posted by
> NVidia at their web site.
> I am not at a Vista machine right now but I can recall that in one of the
> tabs in Device Manager (right click on the SATA device, choose properties)
> it
> is now possible to determine which is the inf file that installed the
> driver.
> If such is the case and my memory is right, it would be then possible to
> open that file and see additional details, e.g.: manufacturer, date,
> version,
> etc.
> This way we could double check if the 8.64's belong to NVidia.
> Carlos
>
> "Dominic Payer" wrote:
>
>> The SATA IDE driver installed on my system by the Microsoft update is
>> 8.64.
>>
>> The official nVidia version in the v15 driver package is 9.31 WHQL.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Colin:
>> > As a side note I have become reluctant to install hardware driver
>> > updates
>> > from Microsoft.
>> > This started when a couple of months ago MS posted a RAID driver for
>> > NForce4
>> > which made my system crash.
>> > Unless I have no driver, i.e. I have an exclamation sign in Device
>> > Manager,
>> > I only use hardware drivers from the chipset manufacturer (NVidia, ATI,
>> > etc.)
>> > Latest update for NForce4 chipset was on Feb 5.
>> > http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce4...a64_15.00.html
>> > and so far, no news on NVidia.
>> > Can you post the SATA controller version you got from MS so that I can
>> > compare it with the one included in the above package?
>> > Carlos

Colin Barnhorst

I hope we are talking about the same thing.

In Device Manager/IDE ATA/ATAPI controller/NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA
Controller/Properites/Details tab I do not have any further "Controller Tab"

But I do see in the Driver File Details that the driver file at
C:\Windows\system32\nvstor64.sys is provided by NVIDIA and is file version
5.10.2600.0824 built by WinDDK.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Colin:
> I am not at a Vista machine right now, but if you could get to the
> "Details"
> tab, the controller version should show up in the "Controller" tab.
> It seems that Dominic found that these are v8.64 and that the NVidia ones
> (in the web) are v9.31
> Looks like MS is behind schedule here.
> Carlos
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> I don't know how to determine the controller version associated with the
>> update. How did you do that?
>>
>> This is the explanation of the update from my Update History:
>>
>> "NVIDIA Corporation - Storage - NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller
>>
>> Installation date: ‎5/‎22/‎2007 2:19 PM
>>
>> Installation status: Successful
>>
>> Update type: Optional
>>
>> NVIDIA Corporation Storage sofware update released in December, 2006
>>
>> More information:
>> http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20028236
>>
>> Help and Support:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub"
>>
>> And this is the Device Manager details for the controller:
>>
>> PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0054&SUBSYS_81621043&REV_F3
>> PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0054&SUBSYS_81621043
>> PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0054&CC_010185
>> PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0054&CC_0101

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Colin:
>> > As a side note I have become reluctant to install hardware driver
>> > updates
>> > from Microsoft.
>> > This started when a couple of months ago MS posted a RAID driver for
>> > NForce4
>> > which made my system crash.
>> > Unless I have no driver, i.e. I have an exclamation sign in Device
>> > Manager,
>> > I only use hardware drivers from the chipset manufacturer (NVidia, ATI,
>> > etc.)
>> > Latest update for NForce4 chipset was on Feb 5.
>> > http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce4...a64_15.00.html
>> > and so far, no news on NVidia.
>> > Can you post the SATA controller version you got from MS so that I can
>> > compare it with the one included in the above package?
>> > Carlos

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Thanks for the data, Dominic.
I have found a downloadable version of the nForce4 Serial ATA Controller
(the one in Windows Update) at:
http://test.catalog.update.microsoft...rial%20nforce4
Three controllers are available.
1st. and 3rd. are for Vista x64
2nd. is for Vista x86
NVstor64.sys (and inf file) version is 5.10.2600.0824
Date is 12/23/2006
Carlos