Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Vista reactivation required after Microsoft Update optional update

Vista reactivation required after Microsoft Update optional update

Colin Barnhorst

Bingo. That's the one I installed yesterday on Vista x64.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the data, Dominic.
> I have found a downloadable version of the nForce4 Serial ATA Controller
> (the one in Windows Update) at:
> http://test.catalog.update.microsoft...rial%20nforce4
> Three controllers are available.
> 1st. and 3rd. are for Vista x64
> 2nd. is for Vista x86
> NVstor64.sys (and inf file) version is 5.10.2600.0824
> Date is 12/23/2006
> Carlos
>
> "Dominic Payer" wrote:
>
>> The version is is 8.24, not 8.64. The author is nVidia with a driver date
>> of
>> 23/12/2006 in Device Manager.
>>
>> The nvstor64.sys file in system32/drivers is 5.10.2600.0824 and shows a
>> Date
>> modified of 05/01/2007.
>> The nvstor64.sys file in the v15 set is 5.10.2600.0931with a Date
>> modified
>> of 22/12/2006.
>> Both files are attributed to nVidia.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Dominic:
>> > So, assuming the 8.64's were developed by NVidia (remember the song "it
>> > is
>> > up to the hardware manufacturer to develop drivers...blah, blah,
>> > blah"?),
>> > it
>> > means that MS is offering drivers that are older than the ones posted
>> > by
>> > NVidia at their web site.
>> > I am not at a Vista machine right now but I can recall that in one of
>> > the
>> > tabs in Device Manager (right click on the SATA device, choose
>> > properties)
>> > it
>> > is now possible to determine which is the inf file that installed the
>> > driver.
>> > If such is the case and my memory is right, it would be then possible
>> > open that file and see additional details, e.g.: manufacturer, date,
>> > version,
>> > etc.
>> > This way we could double check if the 8.64's belong to NVidia.
>> > Carlos

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Colin:
I am now on my Vista PC.
In Device Manager/IDE ATA/ATAPI controller/NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA
Controller/Properites
choose the "Controller" tab from there and not from the "Details" tab.
I have version 5.10.2600.931 which corresponds to the NVidia supplied one.
I'll keep that one (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
The inf file name can be obtained from the dropdown list in the Details tab.
Look for something like "INF name" (I have the Spanish version).
My inf is oem14.inf

Carlos

> > It seems that Dominic found that these are v8.64 and that the NVidia ones
> > (in the web) are v9.31
> > Looks like MS is behind schedule here.
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
> >
> >> I don't know how to determine the controller version associated with the
> >> update. How did you do that?
> >>
> >> This is the explanation of the update from my Update History:
> >>
> >> "NVIDIA Corporation - Storage - NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller
> >>
> >> Installation date: ‎5/‎22/‎2007 2:19 PM
> >>
> >> Installation status: Successful
> >>
> >> Update type: Optional
> >>
> >> NVIDIA Corporation Storage sofware update released in December, 2006
> >>
> >> More information:
> >> http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20028236
> >>
> >> Help and Support:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub"
> >>
> >> And this is the Device Manager details for the controller:
> >>
> >> PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0054&SUBSYS_81621043&REV_F3
> >> PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0054&SUBSYS_81621043
> >> PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0054&CC_010185
> >> PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0054&CC_0101
> >>

> >> "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst

It is the info I reported just above (5.10.2600.0824). I think what you are
calling a Controller tab is the Driver Details button on the Driver tab on
my system. No matter.

The Inf Name is oem9.inf

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Colin:
> I am now on my Vista PC.
> In Device Manager/IDE ATA/ATAPI controller/NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA
> Controller/Properites
> choose the "Controller" tab from there and not from the "Details" tab.
> I have version 5.10.2600.931 which corresponds to the NVidia supplied one.
> I'll keep that one (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
> The inf file name can be obtained from the dropdown list in the Details
> tab.
> Look for something like "INF name" (I have the Spanish version).
> My inf is oem14.inf
>
> Carlos
>

>> > It seems that Dominic found that these are v8.64 and that the NVidia
>> > ones
>> > (in the web) are v9.31
>> > Looks like MS is behind schedule here.
>> > Carlos

Feliks Dzerzhinsky

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> Bingo. That's the one I installed yesterday on Vista x64.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks for the data, Dominic.
>> I have found a downloadable version of the nForce4 Serial ATA Controller
>> (the one in Windows Update) at:
>> http://test.catalog.update.microsoft...rial%20nforce4
>>
>> Three controllers are available.
>> 1st. and 3rd. are for Vista x64
>> 2nd. is for Vista x86
>> NVstor64.sys (and inf file) version is 5.10.2600.0824
>> Date is 12/23/2006
>> Carlos
>>
>> "Dominic Payer" wrote:
>>
>>> The version is is 8.24, not 8.64. The author is nVidia with a driver
>>> date of
>>> 23/12/2006 in Device Manager.
>>>
>>> The nvstor64.sys file in system32/drivers is 5.10.2600.0824 and shows
>>> a Date
>>> modified of 05/01/2007.
>>> The nvstor64.sys file in the v15 set is 5.10.2600.0931with a Date
>>> modified
>>> of 22/12/2006.
>>> Both files are attributed to nVidia.
>>>

>>> "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "it > is
>>> blah"?),
>>> posted > by
>>> of > the
>>> properties)
>>> possible > to

>>> for
>>> (NVidia, >> > ATI,
>>> I >> > can

>>> Controller

>>> be >> >> that
>>> update >> >> was

>>> that

I was hit by the same problem. When I posted the problem, the MVPs
immediately blamed nvidia and ignored the fact that the activation
process can't differentiat between a hardware change and a software change.

Have fun talking to a drone in India. At least it will get you running
again.

- --
Iron Feliks

Trolls are like babies. After feeding, they get stinky.

Colin Barnhorst

If you read my original post I said you had reported this and I am an MVP
and did not belittle your report. It is in fact an NVIDIA created problem.
The update is authored by them and supplied by them to MS for inclusion in
Microsoft Updates.

"Feliks Dzerzhinsky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>> Bingo. That's the one I installed yesterday on Vista x64.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Thanks for the data, Dominic.
>>> I have found a downloadable version of the nForce4 Serial ATA Controller
>>> (the one in Windows Update) at:
>>> http://test.catalog.update.microsoft...rial%20nforce4
>>>
>>> Three controllers are available.
>>> 1st. and 3rd. are for Vista x64
>>> 2nd. is for Vista x86
>>> NVstor64.sys (and inf file) version is 5.10.2600.0824
>>> Date is 12/23/2006
>>> Carlos

> I was hit by the same problem. When I posted the problem, the MVPs
> immediately blamed nvidia and ignored the fact that the activation
> process can't differentiat between a hardware change and a software
> change.
>
> Have fun talking to a drone in India. At least it will get you running
> again.
>
> - --
> Iron Feliks
>
> Trolls are like babies. After feeding, they get stinky.

Feliks Dzerzhinsky

Colin Barnhorst

I don't know why NVIDIA released the upgrade with it doing whatever it is
doing to other things in the system. Obviously someone missed something
along the way. By now, one hopes, that PSS has gotten enough calls from the
activation center to do something.

"Feliks Dzerzhinsky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Feliks Dzerzhinsky

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Feliks,
Let's look at it like this. How does Windows talk to hardware and thus
identify hardware? That happens through the drivers for the hardware.
I am speaking generically, not to this specific issue since I don't have
any updates for this issue. If the driver is not present, Windows has
little to no information about teh device, so if you add a driver it
reports back information to the OS on the hardware. If the driver changes
what it reports back to Windows, it can appear as different hardware, if it
appears as different hardware, then Windows thinks that hardware is changed.
see this for an example
Why is activation not available in Safe Mode? Because most of the drivers
in Safe Mode are not loaded, so if you activate in Safe Mode without the
drivers, when you boot normally, the drivers would load and Windows would
now see all the devices that were not present before. This could trigger
activation due to the appearence of hardware changes.

Drivers can change the way hardware is represented to Windows, so hardware
appears differnet even though it may not be.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
|>Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 13:41:22 -0700
|>From: Feliks Dzerzhinsky <(E-Mail Removed)>
|>Subject: Re: Vista reactivation required after Microsoft Update optional
up
<(E-Mail Removed)>
<(E-Mail Removed)>
<(E-Mail Removed)>
<(E-Mail Removed)>
<(E-Mail Removed)>
<(E-Mail Removed)>
<(E-Mail Removed)>
<(E-Mail Removed)>
<(E-Mail Removed)>
<(E-Mail Removed)>
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general

Feliks Dzerzhinsky

Darrell Gorter[MSFT] wrote:
> Hello Feliks,
> Let's look at it like this. How does Windows talk to hardware and thus
> identify hardware? That happens through the drivers for the hardware.
> I am speaking generically, not to this specific issue since I don't have
> any updates for this issue. If the driver is not present, Windows has
> little to no information about teh device, so if you add a driver it
> reports back information to the OS on the hardware. If the driver changes
> what it reports back to Windows, it can appear as different hardware, if it
> appears as different hardware, then Windows thinks that hardware is changed.
> see this for an example
> Why is activation not available in Safe Mode? Because most of the drivers
> in Safe Mode are not loaded, so if you activate in Safe Mode without the
> drivers, when you boot normally, the drivers would load and Windows would
> now see all the devices that were not present before. This could trigger
> activation due to the appearence of hardware changes.
>
> Drivers can change the way hardware is represented to Windows, so hardware
> appears differnet even though it may not be.
>
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> --------------------

While I appreciate your answer, I have to tell you the activation system
is a bit paranoid. Or, perhaps more accurately, it is an equation with
far too many variables.

It reminds me a bit of the old (1980s) protection scheme MS use with
its applications that relied on a hidden file. The problem was that if
the drive suffered a soft read error, it produced a statement on the
user's screen that contained the lines, "The tree of evil bears bitter
fruit", and , "Now trashing your hard drive". At least you don't use
similar verbiage today. You only threaten people with crippling their
computer if they don't jump through hoops.

I've saved the best questions for last. The first is, if MS is aware
that changes in software (drivers) can change the way hardware is
reported to Windows, why not use a hardware detection schem that is less
easily fooled? The second is why are third party drivers available via
Windows Update, that have not been tested and determined not to cause
such problems?

- --