Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Setting up an Ad-Hoc system, advice needed.

Setting up an Ad-Hoc system, advice needed.

Geoff Collins

Hi Guys,
I am trying to get a wireless system setup at home and think the Ad-Hoc
system looks best for me. The more I read about wireless networking the more
confused I get so would like some advice.
My desktop computer is running windows 98 with an Alcatel Speedtouch
broadband modem connected. My Mobile is running windows XP Home and has an
Intel Pro Wireless LAN 2100 3B mini PCI Adapter fitted. Can I just purchase
a USB network adapter to fit on the desktop and then configure both
computers to work together or, does having Windows 98 as the OS for my
desktop (host computer) not allow this. Is it correct that windows 98
doesn't have Internet Connection Sharing available. If I upgrade the host
computer to windows 98 should the setup I've described actually work?
Thanks in advance for any help or advice,
Geoff (Guernsey, Channel Islands)

Carey Holzman

My recommendation is spend the same amount of money and buy a wireless
router. It's easier and it offers you more options and protection.

Carey

news:41b0339c$0$220$(E-Mail Removed). ..