Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Upgrade evaluation version of 64 bit windows...

Upgrade evaluation version of 64 bit windows...

=?Utf-8?B?TmlnZWxi?=

Hi:
I downloaded and installed the evaluation version of 64 bit windows xp.
But, now I need to upgrade the license to the real thing. Do I need to
completely reinstall the product using a retail cd or is there somewhere I
can enter the valid license key without doing a complete reinstall? Right
now I can't find any place to do a license upgrade of any kind.

Thanks.

John Barnes

If your trial has not expired, you can do a repair install. That is the one
at the second option page in the install process AFTER you accept the
license. You will have to redo the Windows Updates but the rest your
programs will be retained.

"Nigelb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi:
> I downloaded and installed the evaluation version of 64 bit windows xp.
> But, now I need to upgrade the license to the real thing. Do I need to
> completely reinstall the product using a retail cd or is there somewhere I
> can enter the valid license key without doing a complete reinstall? Right
> now I can't find any place to do a license upgrade of any kind.
>
> Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?TmlnZWxi?=

John:

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I came in this morning and found the
expiration of the trial notice on my desktop. I lost track of the time and
now I'm scrambling - i thought I would have gotten a few days notice before
the expiration date. (Guess procrastination just bit me in the rear-end.)
I'm hoping there is a method to apply a license upgrade like most other
software products...

Thanks.

"John Barnes" wrote:

> If your trial has not expired, you can do a repair install. That is the one
> at the second option page in the install process AFTER you accept the
> license. You will have to redo the Windows Updates but the rest your
> programs will be retained.
>
> "Nigelb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi:
> > I downloaded and installed the evaluation version of 64 bit windows xp.
> > But, now I need to upgrade the license to the real thing. Do I need to
> > completely reinstall the product using a retail cd or is there somewhere I
> > can enter the valid license key without doing a complete reinstall? Right
> > now I can't find any place to do a license upgrade of any kind.
> >
> > Thanks.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Actually, you can do a repair install even if the license has expired. But
if it hasn't expired, you can do an in place upgrade from within the current
version. See my blog for details.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

news:%23p$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If your trial has not expired, you can do a repair install. That is the
> one at the second option page in the install process AFTER you accept the
> license. You will have to redo the Windows Updates but the rest your
> programs will be retained.
>
> "Nigelb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi:
>> I downloaded and installed the evaluation version of 64 bit windows xp.
>> But, now I need to upgrade the license to the real thing. Do I need to
>> completely reinstall the product using a retail cd or is there somewhere
>> can enter the valid license key without doing a complete reinstall?
>> Right
>> now I can't find any place to do a license upgrade of any kind.
>>
>> Thanks.

Charlie Russel - MVP

You can still do a repair installation. But you have lost the ability to do
an in place upgrade from within the running current version. It's not a big
deal in either case - a repair install is still a good option and will
retain most of your settings.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"Nigelb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> John:
>
> Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I came in this morning and found
> the
> expiration of the trial notice on my desktop. I lost track of the time
> and
> now I'm scrambling - i thought I would have gotten a few days notice
> before
> the expiration date. (Guess procrastination just bit me in the rear-end.)
> I'm hoping there is a method to apply a license upgrade like most other
> software products...
>
> Thanks.
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> If your trial has not expired, you can do a repair install. That is the
>> one
>> at the second option page in the install process AFTER you accept the
>> license. You will have to redo the Windows Updates but the rest your
>> programs will be retained.
>>
>> "Nigelb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi:
>> > I downloaded and installed the evaluation version of 64 bit windows xp.
>> > But, now I need to upgrade the license to the real thing. Do I need to
>> > completely reinstall the product using a retail cd or is there
>> > somewhere I
>> > can enter the valid license key without doing a complete reinstall?
>> > Right
>> > now I can't find any place to do a license upgrade of any kind.
>> >
>> > Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?TmlnZWxi?=

Thank you very much Charlie - I will try that!