Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > past movie mode

past movie mode

name

Hello.

On an old 1MP Casio camera I have, there is a nice feature that lets
you capture a movie in a special
'past movie mode'. Does anyone know of any more modern (digital)
photocameras or camcorders that have this feature? So you can record
an interesting subject continually (until you run out of battery
power) and then when something interesting happens, capure everything
that happened in a specified period before the shutterbutton was
pressed. This prevents missing the start of an interesting event
because you've started recording the movie too late. I wish my Canon
S2 had that feature.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/Q8K/Q8KA.HTM

Quote from the above URL:

"To capture moving action, the movie recording mode records up to 10
second movies in 320 x 240 pixel AVI format. An interesting option
here is the Past movie mode, which records events that occurred before
the shutter button was pressed (the camera actually records images to
a buffer memory and once the shutter button is pressed, copies those
images to the CompactFlash)."

Kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments,
Niek

Sheldon

On May 21, 6:09 pm, name <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> On an old 1MP Casio camera I have, there is a nice feature that lets
> you capture a movie in a special
> 'past movie mode'. Does anyone know of any more modern (digital)
> photocameras or camcorders that have this feature? So you can record
> an interesting subject continually (until you run out of battery
> power) and then when something interesting happens, capure everything
> that happened in a specified period before the shutterbutton was
> pressed. This prevents missing the start of an interesting event
> because you've started recording the movie too late. I wish my Canon
> S2 had that feature.
>
> http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/Q8K/Q8KA.HTM
>
> Quote from the above URL:
>
> "To capture moving action, the movie recording mode records up to 10
> second movies in 320 x 240 pixel AVI format. An interesting option
> here is the Past movie mode, which records events that occurred before
> the shutter button was pressed (the camera actually records images to
> a buffer memory and once the shutter button is pressed, copies those
> images to the CompactFlash)."
>
> Kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments,
> Niek

I am eager to here if any of the Firewire drives have this ability.
AMAZING possibilities for even videographers with weddings! I know I
feel like I always am getting the end of the punch line unless I am
recording..... A buffer for recording would be amazing!

Sheldon

On May 21, 6:09 pm, name <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> On an old 1MP Casio camera I have, there is a nice feature that lets
> you capture a movie in a special
> 'past movie mode'. Does anyone know of any more modern (digital)
> photocameras or camcorders that have this feature? So you can record
> an interesting subject continually (until you run out of battery
> power) and then when something interesting happens, capure everything
> that happened in a specified period before the shutterbutton was
> pressed. This prevents missing the start of an interesting event
> because you've started recording the movie too late. I wish my Canon
> S2 had that feature.
>
> http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/Q8K/Q8KA.HTM
>
> Quote from the above URL:
>
> "To capture moving action, the movie recording mode records up to 10
> second movies in 320 x 240 pixel AVI format. An interesting option
> here is the Past movie mode, which records events that occurred before
> the shutter button was pressed (the camera actually records images to
> a buffer memory and once the shutter button is pressed, copies those
> images to the CompactFlash)."
>
> Kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments,
> Niek

I think this device has what you are looking for. Take a look and
correct me if i'm wrong.
http://www.focusinfo.com/solutions/catalog.asp?id=3

Sheldon

On May 21, 6:09 pm, name <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> On an old 1MP Casio camera I have, there is a nice feature that lets
> you capture a movie in a special
> 'past movie mode'. Does anyone know of any more modern (digital)
> photocameras or camcorders that have this feature? So you can record
> an interesting subject continually (until you run out of battery
> power) and then when something interesting happens, capure everything
> that happened in a specified period before the shutterbutton was
> pressed. This prevents missing the start of an interesting event
> because you've started recording the movie too late. I wish my Canon
> S2 had that feature.
>
> http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/Q8K/Q8KA.HTM
>
> Quote from the above URL:
>
> "To capture moving action, the movie recording mode records up to 10
> second movies in 320 x 240 pixel AVI format. An interesting option
> here is the Past movie mode, which records events that occurred before
> the shutter button was pressed (the camera actually records images to
> a buffer memory and once the shutter button is pressed, copies those
> images to the CompactFlash)."
>
> Kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments,
> Niek

in fact, it does have retro recording for up to 10 secs, and
supposedly more based on the hard drive space. Wish I could afford one!

Garry Knight

name wrote:

> On an old 1MP Casio camera I have, there is a nice feature that lets
> you capture a movie in a special 'past movie mode'. Does anyone know of
> any more modern (digital) photocameras or camcorders that have this
> feature?

Casio Exilim S500
Casio Exilim S600
Casio Exilim S770
Casio Exilim Z750
Casio Exilim EX-P505

Found by Googling for "past movie Casio", though I had a head start by
having read several reviews of some of these cameras.

--
Garry Knight

Ken Maltby

"name" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Hello.
>
> On an old 1MP Casio camera I have, there is a nice feature that lets
> you capture a movie in a special
> 'past movie mode'. Does anyone know of any more modern (digital)
> photocameras or camcorders that have this feature? So you can record
> an interesting subject continually (until you run out of battery
> power) and then when something interesting happens, capure everything
> that happened in a specified period before the shutterbutton was
> pressed. This prevents missing the start of an interesting event
> because you've started recording the movie too late. I wish my Canon
> S2 had that feature.
>
> http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/Q8K/Q8KA.HTM
>
> Quote from the above URL:
>
> "To capture moving action, the movie recording mode records up to 10
> second movies in 320 x 240 pixel AVI format. An interesting option
> here is the Past movie mode, which records events that occurred before
> the shutter button was pressed (the camera actually records images to
> a buffer memory and once the shutter button is pressed, copies those
> images to the CompactFlash)."
>
> Kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments,
> Niek

You might want to check out DV Rack 2.0 HD
http://www.videoguys.com/seriousmagic.html

before it's only available from Adobe, as an add-on
to the expensive CS3.

Adobe appears to be continuing its tradition of buying
good software and doubling its price with their new name
applied. Anyone remember Cool Edit Pro?

Luck;
Ken

Allen

Ken Maltby wrote:

> Adobe appears to be continuing its tradition of buying
> good software and doubling its price with their new name
> applied. Anyone remember Cool Edit Pro?
>
> Luck;
> Ken

I remember Cool Edit Pro quite well. It was and is a very good product.
You are right about how Adobe operates, except for one thing: "doubling"
isn't the right factor; try "tripling" or "quadrupling" and you'll
closer to the truth.
Allen

Richard Crowley

"Allen" wrote ...
> Ken Maltby wrote:
>> Adobe appears to be continuing its tradition of buying
>> good software and doubling its price with their new name
>> applied. Anyone remember Cool Edit Pro?
>>
>> Luck;
>> Ken

> I remember Cool Edit Pro quite well. It was and is a very good product.
> You are right about how Adobe operates, except for one thing: "doubling"
> isn't the right factor; try "tripling" or "quadrupling" and you'll closer
> to the truth.

Cool Edit Pro is the product they re-named and releaed as
"Adobe Audition 1.0" OTOH, it was Cool Edit 2000 (CE2K)
that was the very modestly-priced 2-track version. They just
killed that product altogether and there has never been an
equivalent price/performance product in that niche. It would
have been trivial (and profitable) for them to rename CE2K
as "Audition Elements" and continue the <$100 price-point.
But even though I own the full-blown production bundle, I'll
have to agree about Adobe's greedy practices. I was a very
satisfied customer of Syntrillium's CE2K and CEP products
before they sold-out to Adobe.