Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Splitting VGA signal

Reply
Thread Tools

Splitting VGA signal

 
 
Miguel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-21-2007
Hello, anybody got any experience splititng VGA signal's? Just bought
a new 40" LCD and want to split the VGA signal from my PC to both my
monitor and LCD.

Plans are to use either a y-splitter or a non-amplified switch box.
The monitor is right next to the PC, but the LCD will need a 10m cable
(will buy a reasonable quality one). Will I get away with this? If I
use the y-splitter, I will have no need to use the monitor/LCD at the
same time.

Also, don't have the manual with me, but it's capable of 1080p. Pretty
sure it said to use 1080x768. Will I be able to setup my graphics card
to output a progressive signal or is this dependant on the card I
have?

Any advice appreciated, thanks

Miguel

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
JANA
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2007
There is a special box for that. You cannot simply split a monitor signal.
It is a bit complex with multiple channels for the colour, and there are
sync signals involved. Also, the termination impedance has to be matched.
The monitor splitter box has some processing and isolation circuits in it
using some IC's and components.

The better solution may be to change the display card for a double header
card that is designed to drive two monitors. With this there will be better
flexibility. The LCD monitor will work best in its native mode. If its
native mode is not ideal for two different types of monitors, the monitor
splitter box will not be ideal. At least with a descent dual head display
card, you should be able to run a different resolution rate for each
monitor.

--

JANA
_____


"Miguel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
Hello, anybody got any experience splititng VGA signal's? Just bought
a new 40" LCD and want to split the VGA signal from my PC to both my
monitor and LCD.

Plans are to use either a y-splitter or a non-amplified switch box.
The monitor is right next to the PC, but the LCD will need a 10m cable
(will buy a reasonable quality one). Will I get away with this? If I
use the y-splitter, I will have no need to use the monitor/LCD at the
same time.

Also, don't have the manual with me, but it's capable of 1080p. Pretty
sure it said to use 1080x768. Will I be able to setup my graphics card
to output a progressive signal or is this dependant on the card I
have?

Any advice appreciated, thanks

Miguel


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2007
JANA wrote:
> There is a special box for that. You cannot simply split a monitor signal.
> It is a bit complex with multiple channels for the colour, and there are
> sync signals involved. Also, the termination impedance has to be matched.
> The monitor splitter box has some processing and isolation circuits in it
> using some IC's and components.
>
> The better solution may be to change the display card for a double header
> card that is designed to drive two monitors. With this there will be better
> flexibility. The LCD monitor will work best in its native mode. If its
> native mode is not ideal for two different types of monitors, the monitor
> splitter box will not be ideal. At least with a descent dual head display
> card, you should be able to run a different resolution rate for each
> monitor.
>

Does this mean my KVM switch won't work anymore?
 
Reply With Quote
 
PeeCee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2007

"Miguel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hello, anybody got any experience splititng VGA signal's? Just bought
> a new 40" LCD and want to split the VGA signal from my PC to both my
> monitor and LCD.
>
> Plans are to use either a y-splitter or a non-amplified switch box.
> The monitor is right next to the PC, but the LCD will need a 10m cable
> (will buy a reasonable quality one). Will I get away with this? If I
> use the y-splitter, I will have no need to use the monitor/LCD at the
> same time.
>
> Also, don't have the manual with me, but it's capable of 1080p. Pretty
> sure it said to use 1080x768. Will I be able to setup my graphics card
> to output a progressive signal or is this dependant on the card I
> have?
>
> Any advice appreciated, thanks
>
> Miguel
>


Came across a desktop PC some time back with a 3 metre extension added to
the monitor VGA lead to allow the box to be located more conveniently.
The quality of display was abismal, ghosting, fuzzy... very hard to work
with.
The extension was swapped out for a 2 metre one of apparently no better
quality and the screen improved to what one would normally expect.
From that it would seem VGA does not extend well and you may be better of
with using S Video if your graphics card has such an outlet.

I would think a simple y-splitter inadequate and you would need to look at
buffered splitters to isolate the effects of the 10m cable from the output
to your normal monitor.

Various examples : http://www.national-tech.com/catalog/vgasplitter.htm

Best
Paul.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ron Martell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2007
"PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


>
>Came across a desktop PC some time back with a 3 metre extension added to
>the monitor VGA lead to allow the box to be located more conveniently.
>The quality of display was abismal, ghosting, fuzzy... very hard to work
>with.
>The extension was swapped out for a 2 metre one of apparently no better
>quality and the screen improved to what one would normally expect.
>From that it would seem VGA does not extend well and you may be better of
>with using S Video if your graphics card has such an outlet.
>
>I would think a simple y-splitter inadequate and you would need to look at
>buffered splitters to isolate the effects of the 10m cable from the output
>to your normal monitor.
>


I have used good quality 10 metre VGA cables successfully, most
recently in an appliciance store where they wanted to show web pages
from an online catalog on a large screen TV with VGA input. Works
just fine, but this is with a dual-head video card and not a
Y-Splitter VGA cable.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 200
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
Syberfix Remote Computer Repair

"Anyone who thinks that they are too small to make a difference
has never been in bed with a mosquito."
 
Reply With Quote
 
Wilber
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2007
What about going the OTHER way? I'd like to keep my 19" LCD hooked up
to my desktop PC but have another monitor cable extending from the LCD
that I could plug into my laptop from time to time. Are their special
cables/peripherals for that? Special cautions? I tried some sort of
cabling system I bought at Best Buy where you plug your monitor,
keyboard and mouse into a box and then plug one set of cables coming
from that box having the same connectors into your desktop and a second
set of cables into your laptop. My PC wouldn't recognize the keyboard
in that configuration so it wouldn't boot. Is there an easier way to do
this?
WC

Miguel wrote:
> Hello, anybody got any experience splititng VGA signal's? Just bought
> a new 40" LCD and want to split the VGA signal from my PC to both my
> monitor and LCD.
>
> Plans are to use either a y-splitter or a non-amplified switch box.
> The monitor is right next to the PC, but the LCD will need a 10m cable
> (will buy a reasonable quality one). Will I get away with this? If I
> use the y-splitter, I will have no need to use the monitor/LCD at the
> same time.
>
> Also, don't have the manual with me, but it's capable of 1080p. Pretty
> sure it said to use 1080x768. Will I be able to setup my graphics card
> to output a progressive signal or is this dependant on the card I
> have?
>
> Any advice appreciated, thanks
>
> Miguel
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Rick Merrill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2007
Rgr wrote:
> JANA wrote:
>> There is a special box for that. You cannot simply split a monitor
>> signal. It is a bit complex with multiple channels for the colour, and
>> there are sync signals involved. Also, the termination impedance has
>> to be matched. The monitor splitter box has some processing and
>> isolation circuits in it using some IC's and components.
>>
>> The better solution may be to change the display card for a double
>> header card that is designed to drive two monitors. With this there
>> will be better flexibility. The LCD monitor will work best in its
>> native mode. If its native mode is not ideal for two different types
>> of monitors, the monitor splitter box will not be ideal. At least with
>> a descent dual head display card, you should be able to run a
>> different resolution rate for each monitor.
>>

> Does this mean my KVM switch won't work anymore?


your KVM is the "special box" (-:
 
Reply With Quote
 
Rick Merrill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2007
Wilber wrote:
> What about going the OTHER way? I'd like to keep my 19" LCD hooked up
> to my desktop PC but have another monitor cable extending from the LCD
> that I could plug into my laptop from time to time. Are their special
> cables/peripherals for that? Special cautions? I tried some sort of
> cabling system I bought at Best Buy where you plug your monitor,
> keyboard and mouse into a box and then plug one set of cables coming
> from that box having the same connectors into your desktop and a second
> set of cables into your laptop. My PC wouldn't recognize the keyboard
> in that configuration so it wouldn't boot.


That sounds like a KVM (keyboard video monitor) mentioned above. Note
that as soon as you power up you must switch the KVM to the newly
powered system (immediately) so that the new system BIOS boots WITH
the KVM connected.

Hope I didn't misunderstand your requirement.
 
Reply With Quote
 
PeeCee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2007

"Ron Martell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>
>>Came across a desktop PC some time back with a 3 metre extension added to
>>the monitor VGA lead to allow the box to be located more conveniently.
>>The quality of display was abismal, ghosting, fuzzy... very hard to work
>>with.
>>The extension was swapped out for a 2 metre one of apparently no better
>>quality and the screen improved to what one would normally expect.
>>From that it would seem VGA does not extend well and you may be better of
>>with using S Video if your graphics card has such an outlet.
>>
>>I would think a simple y-splitter inadequate and you would need to look at
>>buffered splitters to isolate the effects of the 10m cable from the output
>>to your normal monitor.
>>

>
> I have used good quality 10 metre VGA cables successfully, most
> recently in an appliciance store where they wanted to show web pages
> from an online catalog on a large screen TV with VGA input. Works
> just fine, but this is with a dual-head video card and not a
> Y-Splitter VGA cable.
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP (1997 - 200
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
> Syberfix Remote Computer Repair
>
> "Anyone who thinks that they are too small to make a difference
> has never been in bed with a mosquito."


Thanks for the comment Ron, good to know it can work, albeit with the dual
head caveat.
Interesting link posted the other day in nz.comp :
http://www.audioholics.com/education...tter-with-hdmi
It is about HDMI but relevant to sending video over long distances:


Cheers
Paul.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VGA Signal Definitions Bad Influence VHDL 1 05-15-2009 08:21 PM
VGA Box (AV/S-Video to VGA adapter) Daniel Computer Support 0 08-17-2004 06:19 AM
Standard VGA driver (vga.sys) bjones Computer Support 4 09-14-2003 02:24 PM
Re: Splitting up the definitions of a class into different files (splitting public from private)? Mark C++ 0 07-19-2003 04:24 PM
Re: Splitting up the definitions of a class into different files (splitting public from private)? John Ericson C++ 0 07-19-2003 04:03 PM



Advertisments