Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Monitor Calibration. Colorvision Calibration Looks Incorrect

Monitor Calibration. Colorvision Calibration Looks Incorrect

Haydon

I have just changed computer and from a pair of Sony Trinitron CRT monitors
to a pair of Dell Ultrasharp 1707FPV's.

I have tried to calibrate using Color vision Spider, but if gives a
red/magenta colour cast, particularly noticeable on whites and skin tones.

So, I uninstalled Colorvision Spyder2, and reinstalled Adobe gamma loader.
The colours look OK with Adobe gamma and no red/magenta colour cast, however
the screen seems too bright (maybe it's just me coming from my CRT
monitors).

Any ideas to know whether my screen is actually OK as it is?

BTW, I am not calibrating for my computers printer, as I get them printed at
a photo lab if required.

Rich

On May 21, 3:20 pm, "Haydon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have just changed computer and from a pair of Sony Trinitron CRT monitors
> to a pair of Dell Ultrasharp 1707FPV's.
>
> I have tried to calibrate using Color vision Spider, but if gives a
> red/magenta colour cast, particularly noticeable on whites and skin tones.
>
> So, I uninstalled Colorvision Spyder2, and reinstalled Adobe gamma loader.
> The colours look OK with Adobe gamma and no red/magenta colour cast, however
> the screen seems too bright (maybe it's just me coming from my CRT
> monitors).
>
> Any ideas to know whether my screen is actually OK as it is?
>
> BTW, I am not calibrating for my computers printer, as I get them printed at
> a photo lab if required.

Has anyone tried using one of the DVD calibration systems, like they
use for high end home theatre setups?
Something like Video Essentials?

Rob

Haydon wrote:

> I have just changed computer and from a pair of Sony Trinitron CRT
> monitors to a pair of Dell Ultrasharp 1707FPV's.
>
> I have tried to calibrate using Color vision Spider, but if gives a
> red/magenta colour cast, particularly noticeable on whites and skin tones.
>
> So, I uninstalled Colorvision Spyder2, and reinstalled Adobe gamma
> loader. The colours look OK with Adobe gamma and no red/magenta colour
> cast, however the screen seems too bright (maybe it's just me coming
> from my CRT monitors).
>
> Any ideas to know whether my screen is actually OK as it is?
>
> BTW, I am not calibrating for my computers printer, as I get them
> printed at a photo lab if required.

You may have to increase the gamma on the LCD screens so that adobe
gamma bars look correct.

On my LCD I have to make the gamma 2.65

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

Haydon wrote:

> I have just changed computer and from a pair of Sony Trinitron CRT
> monitors to a pair of Dell Ultrasharp 1707FPV's.
>
> I have tried to calibrate using Color vision Spider, but if gives a
> red/magenta colour cast, particularly noticeable on whites and skin
> tones.
> So, I uninstalled Colorvision Spyder2, and reinstalled Adobe gamma
> loader. The colours look OK with Adobe gamma and no red/magenta
> colour cast, however the screen seems too bright (maybe it's just me
> coming from my CRT monitors).
>
> Any ideas to know whether my screen is actually OK as it is?
>
> BTW, I am not calibrating for my computers printer, as I get them
> printed at a photo lab if required.

I'm not sure which Spyder you are using, but the one I have comes with a
detachable filter specifically for LCD monitors. Confirm which version you
have and if you need to buy the filter.

Rita

Haydon

Hello Rita

Yeah, I have the detachable filter. You take it off for CRT's and leave it
on for LCD's. I calibrated with the filter on.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Haydon wrote:

> Yeah, I have the detachable filter. You take it off for CRT's and
> leave it on for LCD's. I calibrated with the filter on.

Sorry I couldn't help. I just was hoping it could have been something as
simple as pilot error. Let us know what you did to resolve the problem when
you do?

Rita

Haydon

OK Rita.

At the moment I will stick with Adobe Gamma, until I get time to 'play'
properly.

"Rita Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Sorry I couldn't help. I just was hoping it could have been something as
> simple as pilot error. Let us know what you did to resolve the problem
> when
> you do?

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Wed, 23 May 2007 19:28:33 +0100, in rec.photo.digital "Haydon"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>OK Rita.
>
>At the moment I will stick with Adobe Gamma, until I get time to 'play'
>properly.

Before trying again, make sure have the latest SW and drivers from
Colorvision.
--
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))