Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > When does a call start being charged?

When does a call start being charged?

Malcolm Loades

I'm using sipdiscount.com for calls to Zimbabwe mobiles and I've just
noticed that every time I dial a mobile there I'm being charged from the
moment it starts ringing! If the call is not answered it does not go to
voicemail (that would be a connected call), I simply hang up with it
still ringing if I don't get an answer in a reasonable time. And each
time I'm billed for the ringing time!

I've emailed sipdiscount and they haven't replied I can find
nothing on their website to say when they will start charging for a
call.

I am right to think I shouldn't be charged?

Malcolm

andy

On May 21, 4:44 pm, Malcolm Loades <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm using sipdiscount.com for calls to Zimbabwe mobiles and I've just
> noticed that every time I dial a mobile there I'm being charged from the
> moment it starts ringing! If the call is not answered it does not go to
> voicemail (that would be a connected call), I simply hang up with it
> still ringing if I don't get an answer in a reasonable time. And each
> time I'm billed for the ringing time!
>
> I've emailed sipdiscount and they haven't replied I can find
> nothing on their website to say when they will start charging for a
> call.
>
> I am right to think I shouldn't be charged?
>
> Malcolm

It will be something to do with detecting settings on the receiving
network and how these are shown back at your end, which I don't know
anything about

I've experimented recently with using JustVoip or Voipcheap to call
numbers that have been forwarded once or twice. Sometimes the charge
starts on the first forward, sometimes when the destination number
eventually rings, sometimes only if it is answered (this seems to
depend on the first number, not just at random)