Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > quick basics Outlook 2000 & Outlook Express 6

quick basics Outlook 2000 & Outlook Express 6

ng_reader

I am running both, mostly due to the commercial nature of Outlook.

My question is this, with both running, and sharing the same mail account,
will

1)both email clients receive the same message?

I keep a "Sent message folder", it seems to work, *just* for the messages
sent from that client. Is there anyway to combine these?

Thanks in advance.....

old man

Why an earth would you want to run two email clients on the same PC,
presumably, connected to the same account?

I keep a "Sent message folder", ..... Is there anyway to combine these?
combine with what?

"ng_reader" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> I am running both, mostly due to the commercial nature of Outlook.
>
> My question is this, with both running, and sharing the same mail account,
> will
>
> 1)both email clients receive the same message?
>
> I keep a "Sent message folder", it seems to work, *just* for the messages
> sent from that client. Is there anyway to combine these?
>
> Thanks in advance.....

WhzzKdd

"old man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsqh4i.339$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why an earth would you want to run two email clients on the same PC,
> presumably, connected to the same account?
>
> I keep a "Sent message folder", ..... Is there anyway to combine these?
> combine with what?

(Combine the sent items in Outlook with the sent items in OE6.)

> "ng_reader" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> I am running both, mostly due to the commercial nature of Outlook.
>>
>> My question is this, with both running, and sharing the same mail
>> account,
>> will
>>
>> 1)both email clients receive the same message?
>>
>> I keep a "Sent message folder", it seems to work, *just* for the messages
>> sent from that client. Is there anyway to combine these?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.....

WhzzKdd

"ng_reader" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>I am running both, mostly due to the commercial nature of Outlook.
>
> My question is this, with both running, and sharing the same mail account,
> will
>
> 1)both email clients receive the same message?

Only if you configure your account options to "leave messages on server".

> I keep a "Sent message folder", it seems to work, *just* for the messages
> sent from that client. Is there anyway to combine these?

Not automatically. I suppose you could manually work out that kind of thing,
but then you'd have to manually do it again everytime you used the other
email client.

There is absolutely no need to run two email clients - you'll just confuse
things. If you need the "commerical nature" features in Outlook, then use
that. If you don't need them, the use OE.

ng_reader

news:Gvl4i.20$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "ng_reader" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>I am running both, mostly due to the commercial nature of Outlook.
>>
>> My question is this, with both running, and sharing the same mail
>> account, will
>>
>> 1)both email clients receive the same message?
>>

> Only if you configure your account options to "leave messages on server".
>
>> I keep a "Sent message folder", it seems to work, *just* for the messages
>> sent from that client. Is there anyway to combine these?
>>

> Not automatically. I suppose you could manually work out that kind of
> thing, but then you'd have to manually do it again everytime you used the
> other email client.
>
> There is absolutely no need to run two email clients - you'll just confuse
> things. If you need the "commerical nature" features in Outlook, then use
> that. If you don't need them, the use OE.

Well you are both right.

But, in my OE, I have multiple accounts using HTTP mail, or, more accurately
Hotmail. I was under the impression that the only mail client that I can use
to retrieve email from hotmail is OE. Plus, I use OE to read my newsgroups.

Yes, leaving messages on the server is an option I have not pondered.

Thanks.

Evan Platt

On Mon, 21 May 2007 20:50:22 -0400, "ng_reader"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>But, in my OE, I have multiple accounts using HTTP mail, or, more accurately
>Hotmail.

HTTP mail is different from POP. You are not retrieving HTTP mail
through outlook.

>I was under the impression that the only mail client that I can use
>to retrieve email from hotmail is OE.

No. You can retrieve any POP email through any mail client.

>Plus, I use OE to read my newsgroups.

You can use any of a number of different newsgroup clients to read
newsgroups.

WhzzKdd

"ng_reader" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
> news:Gvl4i.20$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "ng_reader" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>I am running both, mostly due to the commercial nature of Outlook.
>>>
>>> My question is this, with both running, and sharing the same mail
>>> account, will
>>>
>>> 1)both email clients receive the same message?
>>>

>> Only if you configure your account options to "leave messages on server".
>>
>>> I keep a "Sent message folder", it seems to work, *just* for the
>>> messages sent from that client. Is there anyway to combine these?
>>>

>> Not automatically. I suppose you could manually work out that kind of
>> thing, but then you'd have to manually do it again everytime you used the
>> other email client.
>>
>> There is absolutely no need to run two email clients - you'll just
>> confuse things. If you need the "commerical nature" features in Outlook,
>> then use that. If you don't need them, the use OE.
>>

> Well you are both right.
>
> But, in my OE, I have multiple accounts using HTTP mail, or, more
> accurately Hotmail. I was under the impression that the only mail client
> that I can use to retrieve email from hotmail is OE. Plus, I use OE to
> read my newsgroups.

Ah - yes. The "grandfathered" Hotmail accounts. I have one too. So that's
about the only reason I can see using OE if you prefer Outlook's PIM
capabilities.

(Bad news: Hotmail doesn't work that way in Vista's "Windows Mail" - no HTTP
accounts. I had to finally give up and put a shortcut on my desktop for the
Hotmail web interface.)

And Outlook would automatically call OE for your newsgroups, even if you
aren't using it for email.

> Yes, leaving messages on the server is an option I have not pondered.

Since I sometimes check my home email at work, I have mine set to leave
messages for 10 days, or to delete them when deleted from the email client.
So if I check my POP accounts when I'm away from home, I still get a copy on
my home PC when I get back.