Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Changing extension Icon in Windows

Changing extension Icon in Windows

Bioret

I use 7-zip and irfanview for archives and images respectively. The
programs are awesome but the icons suck! Is there a way (preferably
without having to use an external program, but its ok) that will let me
change the icon for only certain extension filetypes?

thanks
-bioret

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Bioret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I use 7-zip and irfanview for archives and images respectively. The
>programs are awesome but the icons suck! Is there a way (preferably
>without having to use an external program, but its ok) that will let me
>change the icon for only certain extension filetypes?

Right click Irfanview, properties, change icon. like that?

It is global jpg, gif, tif will all have that icon.

External program ResHacker lets you insert your own icons.

--

Symantec false positive cripples thousands of Chinese PCs
http://tinyurl.com/2s6wow

Bioret

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:d3pv435jq3atu0g78m6apsrvmh65olhvd5
@4ax.com:

> Bioret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I use 7-zip and irfanview for archives and images respectively. The
>>programs are awesome but the icons suck! Is there a way (preferably
>>without having to use an external program, but its ok) that will let me
>>change the icon for only certain extension filetypes?

> Right click Irfanview, properties, change icon. like that?
>
> It is global jpg, gif, tif will all have that icon.
>
> External program ResHacker lets you insert your own icons.

I mean in the icon in windows explorer. If thats what you meant, theres
no "change icon" for jpg, png, zip etc.

thanks anyways

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Bioret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:d3pv435jq3atu0g78m6apsrvmh65olhvd5
>@4ax.com:
>
>> Bioret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I use 7-zip and irfanview for archives and images respectively. The
>>>programs are awesome but the icons suck! Is there a way (preferably
>>>without having to use an external program, but its ok) that will let me
>>>change the icon for only certain extension filetypes?

>> Right click Irfanview, properties, change icon. like that?
>>
>> It is global jpg, gif, tif will all have that icon.
>>
>> External program ResHacker lets you insert your own icons.

>I mean in the icon in windows explorer. If thats what you meant, theres
>no "change icon" for jpg, png, zip etc.

The icons in windows explorer takes on or get it's icon from the
program that runs it; to change the explorer icon you would need to
change the program icon.
--

Very trippy animation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4Yf-7Z_6PE

Yorkshire Pete

On 19 May 2007 wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk

> The icons in windows explorer takes on or get it's icon from the
> program that runs it; to change the explorer icon you would need to
> change the program icon.

Bullshit. You can use any icons you want.
http://yorkshirepete.com/bullshit.php

--
D?
Yorkshire Pete

dadiOH

Bioret wrote:
> I use 7-zip and irfanview for archives and images respectively. The
> programs are awesome but the icons suck! Is there a way (preferably
> without having to use an external program, but its ok) that will
> let me change the icon for only certain extension filetypes?

Using Win98...

Start
Settings
Folder Options
File types

Skim down the list to the one you want to change, highlight it, click
"edit" then "change icon", browse to icon you want to use.

Other OS would be similar.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Yorkshire Pete <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 19 May 2007 wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
>
>> The icons in windows explorer takes on or get it's icon from the
>> program that runs it; to change the explorer icon you would need to
>> change the program icon.

>Bullshit. You can use any icons you want.
>http://yorkshirepete.com/bullshit.php

Yes, with reshacker, as mentioned above.
--

"dadiOH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bioret wrote:
>> I use 7-zip and irfanview for archives and images respectively. The
>> programs are awesome but the icons suck! Is there a way (preferably
>> without having to use an external program, but its ok) that will
>> let me change the icon for only certain extension filetypes?

>Using Win98...
>
>Start
> Settings
> Folder Options
> File types
>
>Skim down the list to the one you want to change, highlight it, click
>"edit" then "change icon", browse to icon you want to use.
>
>Other OS would be similar.

Blush... forgot about that CPL, it works on all WinOS's, at least you
were able to help em out :}
--

Very trippy animation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4Yf-7Z_6PE

Yorkshire Pete

On 20 May 2007 wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk

> Blush... forgot about that CPL, it works on all WinOS's, at least you
> were able to help em out :}

and without ResHacker

--
D?
Yorkshire Pete

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Yorkshire Pete <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 20 May 2007 wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
>

>> Blush... forgot about that CPL, it works on all WinOS's, at least you
>> were able to help em out :}

>and without ResHacker

I canceled that message, it does no good, but there's always the
chance

--

AYB
http://allyourbase.planettribes.gamespy.com//ayb2.swf