Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > conecting router

Reply
Thread Tools

conecting router

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?bGVpZGVybWFudw==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-20-2007
I have been trying to setup a Netgear router in my Windows XP The setup
process asks for a username & password but it does not accept mine. I
disabled firewalls&and antiivirus with no results, The router is OK. I
succesful tested it in other computer . What should I do?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-20-2007
Hi
The Router needs to be setup one time and it can be done from any computer.
Once the Router is setup, computers can be added to it , nothing need to be
done on a new computer that involves setting the Router.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"leidermanw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have been trying to setup a Netgear router in my Windows XP The setup
> process asks for a username & password but it does not accept mine. I
> disabled firewalls&and antiivirus with no results, The router is OK. I
> succesful tested it in other computer . What should I do?



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?bGVpZGVybWFudw==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-20-2007
I tried that. Problem is: the router has to be connected to the computer at
which it was setup. After seting it up, can yo take it somewhre else without
the first computer?. I mean: I setup the router in any computer and move
it to a different one?

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> The Router needs to be setup one time and it can be done from any computer.
> Once the Router is setup, computers can be added to it , nothing need to be
> done on a new computer that involves setting the Router.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "leidermanw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have been trying to setup a Netgear router in my Windows XP The setup
> > process asks for a username & password but it does not accept mine. I
> > disabled firewalls&and antiivirus with no results, The router is OK. I
> > succesful tested it in other computer . What should I do?

>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-20-2007
Hi
All the Routers that I used (and I used many) allow you to log onto from any
computer, provided that only one computer at the time is logged to the menus
IP.
Could be that your Router has some security menu that allow configuration
from one computer only (IP or MAC controlled). Check the manual, and or
look over all menu entries.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"leidermanw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I tried that. Problem is: the router has to be connected to the computer
>at
> which it was setup. After seting it up, can yo take it somewhre else
> without
> the first computer?. I mean: I setup the router in any computer and
> move
> it to a different one?
>
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> The Router needs to be setup one time and it can be done from any
>> computer.
>> Once the Router is setup, computers can be added to it , nothing need to
>> be
>> done on a new computer that involves setting the Router.
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "leidermanw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I have been trying to setup a Netgear router in my Windows XP The setup
>> > process asks for a username & password but it does not accept mine. I
>> > disabled firewalls&and antiivirus with no results, The router is OK. I
>> > succesful tested it in other computer . What should I do?

>>
>>
>>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Jim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-20-2007

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> All the Routers that I used (and I used many) allow you to log onto from
> any computer, provided that only one computer at the time is logged to the
> menus IP.
> Could be that your Router has some security menu that allow configuration
> from one computer only (IP or MAC controlled). Check the manual, and or
> look over all menu entries.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "leidermanw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I tried that. Problem is: the router has to be connected to the computer
>>at
>> which it was setup. After seting it up, can yo take it somewhre else
>> without
>> the first computer?. I mean: I setup the router in any computer and
>> move
>> it to a different one?
>>
>> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>> The Router needs to be setup one time and it can be done from any
>>> computer.
>>> Once the Router is setup, computers can be added to it , nothing need to
>>> be
>>> done on a new computer that involves setting the Router.
>>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>>
>>> "leidermanw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> >I have been trying to setup a Netgear router in my Windows XP The
>>> >setup
>>> > process asks for a username & password but it does not accept mine.
>>> > I
>>> > disabled firewalls&and antiivirus with no results, The router is OK.
>>> > I
>>> > succesful tested it in other computer . What should I do?
>>>
>>>
>>>

>
>

For example, my :Linksys router can disable management by a wireless
connected computer.

Back to the OP's original question:

Do you mean that you are trying to logon to the router?
If so, what the router software wants is the username and password that you
setup when you configured the router. There is no necessary relationship
between your windows password and your router password.

As for the OP's second question:

The answer is that you can certainly take the router to another network.
However, if during the installation of the router software, you entered some
local network specific things (such as allowable MAC addresses), you are not
apt to get far.


The OP needs to determine what username and password was enabled for the
router during setup if for no other reason that things need to be changed
every now and then.

More than likely, the OP made no such change and these two items remain at
the factory defaults. The fine router manual should tell the OP what the
factory default management username is and what the factory default password
is.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
help conecting db25 to cisco 4000 router jcharth@hotmail.com Cisco 1 07-16-2005 03:07 AM
Re: ie 6 not conecting to net Wizard Computer Support 3 03-24-2005 11:11 AM
conecting to wire network while out of town Wireless Networking 1 02-16-2005 07:44 PM
Conecting to Access via DSN Otuatail HTML 3 12-06-2003 03:35 AM
Re: Conecting to Internet Patrick Computer Support 0 08-20-2003 10:54 AM



Advertisments