Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Double Connection

Double Connection

=?Utf-8?B?Um9i?=

I am using a Linksys Wireless Router (WRT54GS) and recently purchased a
Lenovo Desktop. The wireless connection was flawless with XP. After I
upgraded the Lenovo to Vista, the remote computer now 'double-connects', once
to my preferred SSID and again to what appears as an 'Unidentifed Network'.
If I look at the Unidentified Network detail it is in fact the same SSID as
the other connection. If I close or disable either of the connections it
closes or disables both and I lose the wireless connection. Diagnosing the
connection problem reveals a "double connection", as the reason it will not
communicate with the internet. I have tried rebooting the software, changing
the router characteristics, etc., but Vista still double-connects. If I
bring home a laptop (which runs on XP) I have no problems connecting.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Barb Bowman

Did you change the name of the SSID on your new router from Linksys
to something else? I don't understand exactly what you mean by
double connect. Are you saying you are connected to two networks at
the same time? What is the Linksys connected to?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Jim

>> I am using a Linksys Wireless Router (WRT54GS) and recently purchased a
>> Lenovo Desktop. The wireless connection was flawless with XP. After I
>> upgraded the Lenovo to Vista, the remote computer now 'double-connects', once
>> to my preferred SSID and again to what appears as an 'Unidentifed Network'.
>> If I look at the Unidentified Network detail it is in fact the same SSID as
>> the other connection...

Change the SSID on the router that you own. Wireless cards get confused
when they see the same SSID from two routers.

-Jim

=?Utf-8?B?Um9i?=

I did change the router name from Linksys to something else, but there is
only one router. The Linksys router is connected to my primary PC/modem to
provide wireless service to the rest of the house. The remote PC running
Vista connects twice to the same network/same router. This is after
selecting the single available network/SSID when I initiate the wireless
connection on the remote PC. Before installing Vista (when the remote PC was
running XP) there was no problem with the same wireless router/connection.
Now when the internet connection fails, you diagnose and it says "there is
more than one wireless connection; delete or disable one of the connections".
But in fact there is only one source, so if I delete or disable that source
(the Linksys router) it eliminates both connections. It's weird.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> Did you change the name of the SSID on your new router from Linksys
> to something else? I don't understand exactly what you mean by
> double connect. Are you saying you are connected to two networks at
> the same time? What is the Linksys connected to?
>
> On Sat, 19 May 2007 12:35:00 -0700, Rob
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I am using a Linksys Wireless Router (WRT54GS) and recently purchased a
> >Lenovo Desktop. The wireless connection was flawless with XP. After I
> >upgraded the Lenovo to Vista, the remote computer now 'double-connects', once
> >to my preferred SSID and again to what appears as an 'Unidentifed Network'.
> >If I look at the Unidentified Network detail it is in fact the same SSID as
> >the other connection. If I close or disable either of the connections it
> >closes or disables both and I lose the wireless connection. Diagnosing the
> >connection problem reveals a "double connection", as the reason it will not
> >communicate with the internet. I have tried rebooting the software, changing
> >the router characteristics, etc., but Vista still double-connects. If I
> >bring home a laptop (which runs on XP) I have no problems connecting.
> >
> >Any suggestions?
> >
> >Thank you.

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

=?Utf-8?B?Um9i?=

When I first installed the router (I only have one) I personalized the SSID,
and while running XP or on XP machines currently I have not trouble. But I
will try changing the SSID. It is only when I connect the remote Vista
computer wirelessly that there is a problem. When initiating a wireless
connection it only 'sees' one SSID/source (mine). But once connected to that
SSID the internet connection fails. A Diagnosis reveals 'multiple'
connections, and suggests deleting or disabling one of the connections.
Looking at the connections there are two; one that is my SSID and one that
says "Unidentifed Network". However if I look at the Properties of the
unidentified network it is in fact the same SSID/signal. Because there is
only one source (router/signal/SSID), if I disable either of the
'connections' that appear it disables/eliminates both of them. When I go to
reconnect, I see only the SSID (no other connections), so I connect on it and
it doubles up to two connections. Weird.

"Jim" wrote:

> >> I am using a Linksys Wireless Router (WRT54GS) and recently purchased a
> >> Lenovo Desktop. The wireless connection was flawless with XP. After I
> >> upgraded the Lenovo to Vista, the remote computer now 'double-connects', once
> >> to my preferred SSID and again to what appears as an 'Unidentifed Network'.
> >> If I look at the Unidentified Network detail it is in fact the same SSID as
> >> the other connection...

> Change the SSID on the router that you own. Wireless cards get confused
> when they see the same SSID from two routers.
>
> -Jim

Barb Bowman

go to the network and sharing center and manage wireless
connections. remove and delete all the connections there. shutdown
and reboot. what happens?

if you have the same issue:

please run an elevated cmd prompt on the machine in question

ipconfig /all

copy to the clipboard and paste all the text in to a txt file and
save it, copy to a working machine and paste in as a reply here

On Sun, 20 May 2007 06:51:01 -0700, Rob
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I did change the router name from Linksys to something else, but there is
>only one router. The Linksys router is connected to my primary PC/modem to
>provide wireless service to the rest of the house. The remote PC running
>Vista connects twice to the same network/same router. This is after
>selecting the single available network/SSID when I initiate the wireless
>connection on the remote PC. Before installing Vista (when the remote PC was
>running XP) there was no problem with the same wireless router/connection.
>Now when the internet connection fails, you diagnose and it says "there is
>more than one wireless connection; delete or disable one of the connections".
> But in fact there is only one source, so if I delete or disable that source
>(the Linksys router) it eliminates both connections. It's weird.
>
>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> Did you change the name of the SSID on your new router from Linksys
>> to something else? I don't understand exactly what you mean by
>> double connect. Are you saying you are connected to two networks at
>> the same time? What is the Linksys connected to?
>>
>> On Sat, 19 May 2007 12:35:00 -0700, Rob
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >I am using a Linksys Wireless Router (WRT54GS) and recently purchased a
>> >Lenovo Desktop. The wireless connection was flawless with XP. After I
>> >upgraded the Lenovo to Vista, the remote computer now 'double-connects', once
>> >to my preferred SSID and again to what appears as an 'Unidentifed Network'.
>> >If I look at the Unidentified Network detail it is in fact the same SSID as
>> >the other connection. If I close or disable either of the connections it
>> >closes or disables both and I lose the wireless connection. Diagnosing the
>> >connection problem reveals a "double connection", as the reason it will not
>> >communicate with the internet. I have tried rebooting the software, changing
>> >the router characteristics, etc., but Vista still double-connects. If I
>> >bring home a laptop (which runs on XP) I have no problems connecting.
>> >
>> >Any suggestions?
>> >
>> >Thank you.

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP
>> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

=?Utf-8?B?Um9i?=

Okay; tried the remove/delete and reboot - no impact. When I reconnect to
the wireless it connects twice (internet fails to fire, diagnose says "There
is more than one active network connection...etc etc", then when I disable
one they both go down.

Did the cmd prompt: here are the results:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Jake>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LENOVO-5D6B52C9
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : lawrence.ks.us

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 5:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lawrence.ks.us
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys Wireless-G PCI Network
Adapter wi
th SpeedBooster
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-F8-29-BF-52
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::b1b6:632f:6a0b:57ee%8(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, May 21, 2007 10:05:20 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, May 22, 2007 10:05:20 PM
192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 184555768
24.124.0.194
24.124.0.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection*:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lawrence.ks.us
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.lawrence.ks.us
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.100%10(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
24.124.0.194
24.124.0.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Thanks for your help.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> go to the network and sharing center and manage wireless
> connections. remove and delete all the connections there. shutdown
> and reboot. what happens?
>
> if you have the same issue:
>
> please run an elevated cmd prompt on the machine in question
>
> ipconfig /all
>
> copy to the clipboard and paste all the text in to a txt file and
> save it, copy to a working machine and paste in as a reply here
>
> On Sun, 20 May 2007 06:51:01 -0700, Rob
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I did change the router name from Linksys to something else, but there is
> >only one router. The Linksys router is connected to my primary PC/modem to
> >provide wireless service to the rest of the house. The remote PC running
> >Vista connects twice to the same network/same router. This is after
> >selecting the single available network/SSID when I initiate the wireless
> >connection on the remote PC. Before installing Vista (when the remote PC was
> >running XP) there was no problem with the same wireless router/connection.
> >Now when the internet connection fails, you diagnose and it says "there is
> >more than one wireless connection; delete or disable one of the connections".
> > But in fact there is only one source, so if I delete or disable that source
> >(the Linksys router) it eliminates both connections. It's weird.
> >
> >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
> >
> >> Did you change the name of the SSID on your new router from Linksys
> >> to something else? I don't understand exactly what you mean by
> >> double connect. Are you saying you are connected to two networks at
> >> the same time? What is the Linksys connected to?

> >> --
> >>
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> MS Windows-MVP
> >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> >> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
> >>

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

can you describe how you disable the second connection?
what driver are you using for the wireless? are you using Linksys
drivers and is there Linksys software still on the machine?

On Mon, 21 May 2007 20:31:01 -0700, Rob
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >I did change the router name from Linksys to something else, but there is
>> >only one router. The Linksys router is connected to my primary PC/modem to
>> >provide wireless service to the rest of the house. The remote PC running
>> >Vista connects twice to the same network/same router. This is after
>> >selecting the single available network/SSID when I initiate the wireless
>> >connection on the remote PC. Before installing Vista (when the remote PC was
>> >running XP) there was no problem with the same wireless router/connection.
>> >Now when the internet connection fails, you diagnose and it says "there is
>> >more than one wireless connection; delete or disable one of the connections".
>> > But in fact there is only one source, so if I delete or disable that source
>> >(the Linksys router) it eliminates both connections. It's weird.

Barb:

I disable the connection by going to the Network & Sharing Center, and in
one of the wireless description boxes (below View Status) I hit the
"Disconnect" button. Both connections shut down.

I'm not certain how to determine what driver I am using for wireless. I went
to the Device Manager, Network Adapters, and there are three listed. I
clicked the Linksys Driver (one of the 3) and looked at the Driver Details.
It describes it as "Linksys Wireless-G PCI Netware Adapter with
SpeedBooster". The Driver Provider is Linksys.

When I look under Programs I see "Linksys Wireless G PCI Network Adapter".
Below it are two choices, uninstall and Wireless Monitor. If you hit
Wireless Monitor nothing (apparent) happens.

Thanks for your continued help.
Rob

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> [...]
> > DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
> > Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
> > Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.100%10(Preferred)
> > Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
> > DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.124.0.193
> > 24.124.0.194
> > 24.124.0.1
> > NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
> >
> >Thanks for your help.
> >
> >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
> >
> >> go to the network and sharing center and manage wireless
> >> connections. remove and delete all the connections there. shutdown
> >> and reboot. what happens?
> >>
> >> if you have the same issue:
> >>
> >> please run an elevated cmd prompt on the machine in question
> >>
> >> ipconfig /all
> >>
> >> copy to the clipboard and paste all the text in to a txt file and
> >> save it, copy to a working machine and paste in as a reply here

Barb Bowman

sounds like an incompatible driver and utility left over from the
upgrade process. looks like (from a google search anyway) others
have issues uninstalling the utility. if this is the case, you might
want to try the Linksys forum on dslreports.com or Linksys reports.
(or perhaps someone who has experienced the issue of not being able
to uninstall this driver and software will respond here.)