Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Parallel printer to USB Computer Port

Parallel printer to USB Computer Port

Charlie Allnut

I've got an excellent condition and little used HP LaserJet 6L printer that
only has a parallel cable output-- but my new computer doesn't have a
parallel port-- just USB.

So I got a parallel/Centronics to USB adaptor cable-- but the computer
doesn't recognize it and I can't find a driver that will work. The HP
website is no help.

It's not cost effective to set up a wireless print network. So-- any
suggestions? I'd hate to have to go out and buy a new printer to replace a
perfectly good one...

Evan Platt

On Fri, 18 May 2007 18:31:55 -0400, "Charlie Allnut" <null@null>
wrote:

>I've got an excellent condition and little used HP LaserJet 6L printer that
>only has a parallel cable output-- but my new computer doesn't have a
>parallel port-- just USB.
>
>So I got a parallel/Centronics to USB adaptor cable-- but the computer
>doesn't recognize it and I can't find a driver that will work. The HP
>website is no help.
>
>It's not cost effective to set up a wireless print network. So-- any
>suggestions? I'd hate to have to go out and buy a new printer to replace a
>perfectly good one...

Look on like Freecycle or craigslist. You can get a printer for under
$100 nowdays, or on freecycle - free.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Evan Platt wrote:

> "Charlie Allnut" <null@null> wrote:
>
>> I've got an excellent condition and little used HP LaserJet 6L
>> printer that only has a parallel cable output-- but my new computer
>> doesn't have a parallel port-- just USB.
>>
>> So I got a parallel/Centronics to USB adaptor cable-- but the
>> computer doesn't recognize it and I can't find a driver that will
>> work. The HP website is no help.
>>
>> It's not cost effective to set up a wireless print network. So-- any
>> suggestions? I'd hate to have to go out and buy a new printer to
>> replace a perfectly good one...

> Look on like Freecycle or craigslist. You can get a printer for under
> $100 nowdays, or on freecycle - free.

How about a PCI parallel-port card? What are they, about $10US?

--
-bts

Evan Platt

On Fri, 18 May 2007 22:45:53 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>How about a PCI parallel-port card? What are they, about $10US?

Could be.. I was looking at internal modems.. $80-$100.. WTF?

pcbutts1

You don't need drivers they are built-in with XP and Vista. In the printers
properties page the port you look for should be called USB1 (Virtual
printing port). In the device manager it should show up under USB as USB
printing support.

"Charlie Allnut" <null@null> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> I've got an excellent condition and little used HP LaserJet 6L printer
> that only has a parallel cable output-- but my new computer doesn't have a
> parallel port-- just USB.
>
> So I got a parallel/Centronics to USB adaptor cable-- but the computer
> doesn't recognize it and I can't find a driver that will work. The HP
> website is no help.
>
> It's not cost effective to set up a wireless print network. So-- any
> suggestions? I'd hate to have to go out and buy a new printer to replace a
> perfectly good one...

JANA

Go to your computer dealer and get a parallel card. This is the best way to
have a parallel port.

--

JANA
_____

"Charlie Allnut" <null@null> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
I've got an excellent condition and little used HP LaserJet 6L printer that
only has a parallel cable output-- but my new computer doesn't have a
parallel port-- just USB.

So I got a parallel/Centronics to USB adaptor cable-- but the computer
doesn't recognize it and I can't find a driver that will work. The HP
website is no help.

It's not cost effective to set up a wireless print network. So-- any
suggestions? I'd hate to have to go out and buy a new printer to replace a
perfectly good one...

Walter Mautner

Charlie Allnut wrote:

> I've got an excellent condition and little used HP LaserJet 6L printer
> that only has a parallel cable output-- but my new computer doesn't have a
> parallel port-- just USB.
>
> So I got a parallel/Centronics to USB adaptor cable-- but the computer
> doesn't recognize it and I can't find a driver that will work. The HP
> website is no help.

You didn't tell about which OS your computer is running, and if it's a
laptop or desktop.
For a desktop, the universal solution would be a pci "multiple io card",
usually with serial and parallel ports. Works fine with win9x as well as
2k/XP, and linux or others as well. You get them cheaper than the
usb-to-parallel cables.

> It's not cost effective to set up a wireless print network. So-- any
> suggestions? I'd hate to have to go out and buy a new printer to replace a
> perfectly good one...

Would need no wireless, but there are some routers with printer ports,
though most of them only usb. You can have 2nd hand jetdirect printserver
boxen as well, and a crossover cable.

Leythos

On Fri, 18 May 2007 21:51:07 -0700, pcbutts1 wrote:

> You don't need drivers they are built-in with XP and Vista. In the
> printers properties page the port you look for should be called USB1
> (Virtual printing port). In the device manager it should show up under
> USB as USB printing support.

Wrong, in many cases the USB>Serial or USB>Par or USB>Net need drivers.
XP does not support all of those type devices and the vendors that
provide the devices should have provided a driver media for them.

*** WARNING - this links contains foul/pornographic content of an
website ***
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/leythos.htm
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/bughunter.htm

Jerry G.

Go to a computer dealer and get a parallel board. Install it, and you
will have a real parallel port.

If you are on a laptop, get a PCM parallel adaptor. This should work out
very well.

--

Jerry G.

JANA wrote:

> Go to your computer dealer and get a parallel card. This is the best
> way to have a parallel port.

Didn't we say this yesterday? I know I did.
"How about a PCI parallel-port card? What are they, about $10US?"

Do you ever read anything beyond the OP?

Your clock is off.

--
-bts