Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > cdp enable/disable?

cdp enable/disable?

Lisa Casey

Hi,

I have a Cisco 2610 (I think) router connected to a switch connected to my
network. We recently received a couple of VOIP phones (Cisco IP-Phone 7940
series). When I plug these into the network, my syslog receives the
following error from the router once a minute:

05-15-2007 16:39:39 Local7.Warning hope.jellico.com 387: 10w3d:
%CDP-4-DUPLEX_MISMATCH: duplex mismatch discovered on Ethernet0/0 (not full
duplex), with SEP001AE22A943D Port 1 (full duplex).

I googled it and found some suggestions to just turn cdp off on the
Ethernet0/0 interface of the router.

This would get rid of the messages I'm receiving, but do I really want to
do that? Are the messages I'm seeing real error messages indicating a
problem I should resolve, or are they just informational, letting me know
of something that is harmless?

Thanks,

Lisa Casey

Doug McIntyre

"Lisa Casey" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>I have a Cisco 2610 (I think) router connected to a switch connected to my
>network. We recently received a couple of VOIP phones (Cisco IP-Phone 7940
>series). When I plug these into the network, my syslog receives the
>following error from the router once a minute:

>05-15-2007 16:39:39 Local7.Warning hope.jellico.com 387: 10w3d:
>%CDP-4-DUPLEX_MISMATCH: duplex mismatch discovered on Ethernet0/0 (not full
>duplex), with SEP001AE22A943D Port 1 (full duplex).

>I googled it and found some suggestions to just turn cdp off on the
>Ethernet0/0 interface of the router.

>This would get rid of the messages I'm receiving, but do I really want to
>do that? Are the messages I'm seeing real error messages indicating a
>problem I should resolve, or are they just informational, letting me know
>of something that is harmless?

No, you probably don't want to do that. You do have a duplex mismatch
between the VOIP phone and the switch. The CDP messages are coming
from the phone. The router is displaying them, even though its not the
culpret (if the HP switch knew what CDP was, it'll stop them there).

You probably have the phone force set to Full Duplex, which means that
auto-negotiation is turned off, which the ethernet spec requires the
side that is set to auto-negotiate (the switch) to fallback to half-duplex.
Ie. standard duplex mismatch.

Make sure the point where your phone is getting its network info is
set to do auto-negoation rather than force duplex. Most likely its
TFTP'ing its setup info from the callmanager, although its possible to
manually setup the network info in them. Fixup the network settings
there, and the messages should go away.

Sam Wilson

In article <464db8bc$0$36725$(E-Mail Removed) s.com>,
Doug McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Lisa Casey" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >I have a Cisco 2610 (I think) router connected to a switch connected to my
> >network. We recently received a couple of VOIP phones (Cisco IP-Phone 7940
> >series). When I plug these into the network, my syslog receives the
> >following error from the router once a minute:

> >05-15-2007 16:39:39 Local7.Warning hope.jellico.com 387: 10w3d:
> >%CDP-4-DUPLEX_MISMATCH: duplex mismatch discovered on Ethernet0/0 (not full
> >duplex), with SEP001AE22A943D Port 1 (full duplex).

> >I googled it and found some suggestions to just turn cdp off on the
> >Ethernet0/0 interface of the router.

> >This would get rid of the messages I'm receiving, but do I really want to
> >do that? Are the messages I'm seeing real error messages indicating a
> >problem I should resolve, or are they just informational, letting me know
> >of something that is harmless?

> No, you probably don't want to do that. You do have a duplex mismatch
> between the VOIP phone and the switch. ...

Probably not. I'd guess there's a non-Cisco switch between the phone
and the router. The router sees a CDP neighbour reporting a full duplex
connection (to the switch) but receives the messages on an interface
which is running half duplex. It therefore complains. If there were a
CDP-speaking switch between them those particular messages wouldn't get
through.

Sam

headsetadapter.com

Lisa,

Most likely you have your Cisco IP Phones connected to non-Cisco switch. CDP
protocol usually doesn't cross Cisco switches - it works between two
adjacent Cisco devices.

You may be able to shut down these messages - go to the router, go to
configuration mode, enter into the E0/0 interface, and issue the command "no
cdp log mismatch". Something like:

Router# config t

Router(config)# int e0/0

Router(config-if)# no cdp log mismatch

I don't know what IOS version you are, however it should work.

Good luck,

Mike
CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, Cisco Voice, MCSE W2K, MCSE+I, Security+, etc.
CCIE R&S (in progress), CCIE Voice (in progress)
------
PC Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phones
www.ciscoheadsetadapter.com
www.headsetadapter.com

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

CDP Neighbour IP Address BNAZ Cisco 4 10-22-2004 07:01 PM
CDP Over bridges? j2 Cisco 5 08-24-2004 09:59 PM
Get CDP local interface info... Nelson Costa Cisco 2 05-22-2004 01:52 PM
Which CDP is used if more than one CDP is present? Peter Juentgen Cisco 0 10-22-2003 11:36 AM
CDP Interface Michael Schubbert Cisco 4 10-21-2003 08:48 AM

Advertisments