Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Advice please for a newbie

Advice please for a newbie

ASAAR

On Sat, 19 May 2007 05:06:00 GMT, WILLIAM HERSHMAN, not willing to
take shots of birds of paradise, wrote:

>>>What in the dickens is "digiscoping"?

>> What in the dickens is Google?
>>

> Who in the dickens was Dickens?

Little Jimmy. The plot thickens.

Golden Oldie

What is the best camera currently available to buy today that would be most
suitable for digiscoping. I dont want a second hand one only new. I believe
that my current camera is unsuitable because of the zoom (10x is apparently
too powerful for this purpose). I would appreciate any thought\opinions that
anyone has.

HEMI-Powered

Today, Golden Oldie made this profound pronouncement

--
HP, aka Jerry

John Bean

On Fri, 18 May 2007 12:28:47 GMT, HEMI-Powered wrote:

>> What is the best camera currently available to buy today that
>> would be most suitable for digiscoping. I dont want a second
>> hand one only new. I believe that my current camera is
>> unsuitable because of the zoom (10x is apparently too powerful
>> for this purpose). I would appreciate any thought\opinions
>> that anyone has.

> What in the dickens is "digiscoping"?

It's the subject that you'll be authoritatively lecturing us about
in future messages as soon as one or more of rpd's several
digiscopers clue you in. There were a couple of recent, moderately
long threads on it while you slept. Hint: Are you a birder?

HEMI-Powered

Today, ASAAR made this profound pronouncement

> On Fri, 18 May 2007 12:28:47 GMT, HEMI-Powered wrote:
>
>>> What is the best camera currently available to buy today
>>> that would be most suitable for digiscoping. I dont want a
>>> second hand one only new. I believe that my current camera
>>> is unsuitable because of the zoom (10x is apparently too
>>> powerful for this purpose). I would appreciate any
>>> thought\opinions that anyone has.

>> What in the dickens is "digiscoping"?

> It's the subject that you'll be authoritatively lecturing us
> about
> in future messages as soon as one or more of rpd's several
> digiscopers clue you in. There were a couple of recent,
> moderately long threads on it while you slept. Hint: Are you
> a birder?

a) I see no need to Google for your brand of photography, b) no, I
am not a birder, whatever that is, but most importantly, c) if you
are too lazy to provide more than a generic but rediculous
description of what you want to do, fail to describe it yet want to
get "thought\opinions" on that, you may find yourself being
rediculed as a newbie who has no clue as to what is out there, what
his true needs vs wants are, or any other relevant criteria such as
size, complexity, technology and price point. But, if you want to
make sport of my apparent ignorance, than you should not be at all
surprise that you get no help from me, and will likely get some
verbal abuse if you're also ignorant of people skills and attempt
to start a flame war. EOT.

--
HP, aka Jerry

Charles Gillen

"HEMI-Powered" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> you get no help from me, and will likely get some
> verbal abuse if you're also ignorant of people skills and attempt
> to start a flame war. EOT.
> --
> HP, aka Jerry

To newbies unfamiliar with HP aka Jerry, his "EOT" stands for "Ever
Obnoxious Twit" or an "Equal Opportunity Terrorist" who wages scorched-
earth flame wars whenever he feels his great intelligence and experience
has been doubted His chief expertise is in verbal abuse.

Golden Oldie

Never mind. I will find somewhere more willing to help with my question. I
thought the purpose of groups like this was to help people!

HEMI-Powered

Today, Charles Gillen made this profound pronouncement

> "HEMI-Powered" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> you get no help from me, and will likely get some
>> verbal abuse if you're also ignorant of people skills and
>> attempt to start a flame war. EOT.
>> --
>> HP, aka Jerry

> To newbies unfamiliar with HP aka Jerry, his "EOT" stands for
> "Ever Obnoxious Twit" or an "Equal Opportunity Terrorist" who
> wages scorched- earth flame wars whenever he feels his great
> intelligence and experience has been doubted His chief
> expertise is in verbal abuse.

try "End Of Transmission", imbecile

--
HP, aka Jerry

BaumBadier

On Fri, 18 May 2007 19:24:02 GMT, Golden Oldie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Never mind. I will find somewhere more willing to help with my question. I
>thought the purpose of groups like this was to help people!

You have to understand that most long-term residents of newsgroups that are the
first to reply and continually reply have absolutely no life outside of text on
their screens -- the living-dead. They just post for the attention without ever
providing any helpful info to anyone. Most of them probably don't even own
cameras or know what photography really is. They just spew what they heard
someone else write on the net one time. Low-life armchair photographers. This
newsgroup is infested with them.

For digiscoping, you'll have to find a camera with the smallest front lens
element with the features you require. The front lens element of your camera
should be equal to or less in diameter than the exit-lens of your particular
scope's most often used eyepiece. I use an old Fuji Finepix for this purpose
because all my newer cameras have much larger lenses on them. There are some
adapters available that reconfigure the exit-pupil size for most cameras with
larger lenses ( http://www.scopetronix.com/dtsystems.htm ) but they are quite
costly. It might end up being a search for you by measuring the front element
lens diameter on all the photos of the different models at review sites. Taking
the body measurement as your base measure and figuring it from there. Then
weighing features against lens diameter to find "the best" for your needs.

Hopefully, some of the people who are not the 'online living-dead' will be able
to provide more ready answers for you than this. With luck, they may actually
take a break from photography one day and return to their keyboards for a
moment, sifting through the tomes of arm-chair-photographer trolls in this
newsgroup to find something worth replying to, and happen upon your post and
answer it. In-spite of the trolls that try to grab attention for themselves.