Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > FreeType

FreeType

Glich

Hi, where can I download freetype (>= 2.1.7)? I need it to use
matplotlib. I have search a lot but still can not find it. Thanks!

Michael Bentley

On May 17, 2007, at 12:29 PM, Glich wrote:

> Hi, where can I download freetype (>= 2.1.7)? I need it to use
> matplotlib. I have search a lot but still can not find it. Thanks!

Type 'freetype' in the google search form, and click the "I'm Feeling
Lucky" button. If that doesn't work for some reason, go to
freetype.org.

Glich

I've been there. All the code is in C/C++, don't I need it in python?
I will explore the software. I dismissed this because there was no
python. I am knew to all of this. Thanks for your reply.

Robert Kern

Glich wrote:
> I've been there. All the code is in C/C++, don't I need it in python?
> I will explore the software. I dismissed this because there was no
> python. I am knew to all of this. Thanks for your reply.

matplotlib has extension modules that wrap the C library. You will need to
install libfreetype, then build matplotlib.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

Michael Bentley

On May 17, 2007, at 2:47 PM, Glich wrote:

> I've been there. All the code is in C/C++, don't I need it in python?
> I will explore the software. I dismissed this because there was no
> python. I am knew to all of this. Thanks for your reply.

The c stuff (freetype) is what you need (it gets installed as a
library that can be used by python or any other software entity that
needs its functionality). It may seem a little weird, but lots of
the stuff you call from python is written in c. More than likely,
your python interpreter is also written in c

Steve Holden

Michael Bentley wrote:
> On May 17, 2007, at 2:47 PM, Glich wrote:
>
>> I've been there. All the code is in C/C++, don't I need it in python?
>> I will explore the software. I dismissed this because there was no
>> python. I am knew to all of this. Thanks for your reply.

> The c stuff (freetype) is what you need (it gets installed as a
> library that can be used by python or any other software entity that
> needs its functionality). It may seem a little weird, but lots of
> the stuff you call from python is written in c. More than likely,
> your python interpreter is also written in c

Alternatively use the Python Imaging Library (PIL), which I believe
includes freetype support.

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
Get on the web: Blog, lens and tag your way to fame!!

Steve Holden

Steve Holden wrote:

> Alternatively use the Python Imaging Library (PIL), which I believe
> includes freetype support.

The OP seems to be trying to build matplotlib, which actually does require the
FreeType library. The PIL, lovely though it is, is not a substitute.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco