Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > New R2 server - cannot load print drivers

New R2 server - cannot load print drivers

=?Utf-8?B?TGV3ZWo=?=

Hi
We have a new W2003 R2 server on our small W2003 SP2 lan.
I cannot load any x64 print drivers. I have also tried the suggestion on a
blog to use the ntprint.inf, but that did not work.
I cannot load the x64 on the non R2 servers, or on the R2 server.
I CAN set up an additional TCP/IP port and then the driver for that on the
R2, but that means I have two printers loaded with different drivers using
one IP address.

Is there any way i can just load the x64 drivers on the X64 box, while the
same printer is loaded for 32bit on the W2003 32bit boxes?

TIA

Lewej

Charlie Russel - MVP

There shouldn't be any problem loading x64 SP2 drivers on a 32-bit R2
server. Nothing prohibits it that I'm aware of. Obviously, the printers have
to have the exact same name, but so far as I'm aware the instructions that
are on my blog should still be accurate and working. If there's a failure,
it would be most helpful if we could go know the exact steps and the exact
failure message.

Beyond that, there's also no reason you can't have separate printers on
separate servers pointing to the same physical printer when it's network
connected. The only real concern is that you can have print jobs competing
for the printer, since they don't know about each other. But on a small LAN?
I doubt it will be a problem.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"Lewej" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> We have a new W2003 R2 server on our small W2003 SP2 lan.
> I cannot load any x64 print drivers. I have also tried the suggestion on a
> blog to use the ntprint.inf, but that did not work.
> I cannot load the x64 on the non R2 servers, or on the R2 server.
> I CAN set up an additional TCP/IP port and then the driver for that on the
> R2, but that means I have two printers loaded with different drivers using
> one IP address.
>
> Is there any way i can just load the x64 drivers on the X64 box, while the
> same printer is loaded for 32bit on the W2003 32bit boxes?
>
> TIA
>
> Lewej

=?Utf-8?B?TGV3ZWo=?=

Thanks for the response.

To clarify we have five W2003 SP2 servers (non R2), and one x64 W2003 R2
server.

I cannot load a x64 driver into the x32 servers by going into sharing ->
additional drivers and tikcing the appropiate box for each printer. The error
it generated is:

"The specified location does not contain the driver HP LaserJert 1300 PCL6
for the required processor architecture.

I note the suggestion about having two printers with the same name. I am
slightly concerned, though we only have 60 or so users, thatwe may still get
a print job clash; as we feed most of our stationary prints from our ERP to
one rpinter.

I did try to load the printer on the x64 R2 server, by choosing the
ntprint.inf off the standard W2003 CD. However it failed with the same error
as above.

I could not find ntprint.inf on the R2 windows CD in the i386 directory, but
only in the pritners/nt4/i386 directory.

No idea why this is seeming to be an issue for me. Any help much appreciated.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> There shouldn't be any problem loading x64 SP2 drivers on a 32-bit R2
> server. Nothing prohibits it that I'm aware of. Obviously, the printers have
> to have the exact same name, but so far as I'm aware the instructions that
> are on my blog should still be accurate and working. If there's a failure,
> it would be most helpful if we could go know the exact steps and the exact
> failure message.
>
> Beyond that, there's also no reason you can't have separate printers on
> separate servers pointing to the same physical printer when it's network
> connected. The only real concern is that you can have print jobs competing
> for the printer, since they don't know about each other. But on a small LAN?
> I doubt it will be a problem.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>
> "Lewej" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi
> > We have a new W2003 R2 server on our small W2003 SP2 lan.
> > I cannot load any x64 print drivers. I have also tried the suggestion on a
> > blog to use the ntprint.inf, but that did not work.
> > I cannot load the x64 on the non R2 servers, or on the R2 server.
> > I CAN set up an additional TCP/IP port and then the driver for that on the
> > R2, but that means I have two printers loaded with different drivers using
> > one IP address.
> >
> > Is there any way i can just load the x64 drivers on the X64 box, while the
> > same printer is loaded for 32bit on the W2003 32bit boxes?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Lewej

Alan Morris [MSFT]

I do this once or twice a week. The driver names have to be the same for
the x86 clients to install the x86 drivers installed on the x64 server. x64
printer servers are the best

Follow the instructions
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc.../05/61685.aspx

When adding cross arch drivers you need to point to the correct infs and
files.

Perform this operation first using some of the inbox drivers, then perform
this using Vendor drivers.

Point to the Vendor x64 inf for the printer, point to the x64 OS core
drivers that the printer requires, point to the Vendor x64 driver files.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

> [...]
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>>
>> "Lewej" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi
>> > We have a new W2003 R2 server on our small W2003 SP2 lan.
>> > I cannot load any x64 print drivers. I have also tried the suggestion
>> > on a
>> > blog to use the ntprint.inf, but that did not work.
>> > I cannot load the x64 on the non R2 servers, or on the R2 server.
>> > I CAN set up an additional TCP/IP port and then the driver for that on
>> > the
>> > R2, but that means I have two printers loaded with different drivers
>> > using
>> > one IP address.
>> >
>> > Is there any way i can just load the x64 drivers on the X64 box, while
>> > the
>> > same printer is loaded for 32bit on the W2003 32bit boxes?

Charlie Russel - MVP

Alan is absolutely correct and points to the issue: the _drivers_ must have
the exact same name. The problem is that there isn't a 1300 driver for x64
included in the default OS. If you have one from HP directly, you need to
point to that driver, not NTPrint.INF. Or, you need to use a compatible
driver that can be used across both platforms. Check ntprint.inf for each
platform and verify a driver you can use that is the same name. (you can
open ntprint.inf up with any pure ASCII text editor. Just be careful.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>>> that
>>> are on my blog should still be accurate and working. If there's a
>>> failure,
>>> it would be most helpful if we could go know the exact steps and the
>>> exact
>>> failure message.
>>>
>>> Beyond that, there's also no reason you can't have separate printers on
>>> separate servers pointing to the same physical printer when it's network
>>> connected. The only real concern is that you can have print jobs
>>> competing
>>> for the printer, since they don't know about each other. But on a small
>>> LAN?
>>> I doubt it will be a problem.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>>>
>>> "Lewej" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

=?Utf-8?B?TGV3ZWo=?=

Hi
Thanks to both for the explanations.
Cheers
Lewej

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> "The specified location does not contain the driver HP LaserJert 1300
> >> PCL6
> >> for the required processor architecture.
> >>
> >> I note the suggestion about having two printers with the same name. I am
> >> slightly concerned, though we only have 60 or so users, thatwe may still
> >> get
> >> a print job clash; as we feed most of our stationary prints from our ERP
> >> one rpinter.
> >>
> >> I did try to load the printer on the x64 R2 server, by choosing the
> >> ntprint.inf off the standard W2003 CD. However it failed with the same
> >> error
> >> as above.
> >>
> >> I could not find ntprint.inf on the R2 windows CD in the i386 directory,
> >> but
> >> only in the pritners/nt4/i386 directory.
> >>
> >> No idea why this is seeming to be an issue for me. Any help much

=?Utf-8?B?TGV3ZWo=?=

Hi
Well I managed to kill pritning for half a day here, and now it is working
really inconsistently, which is causing a few words!!
I have switched the x64 server off, and reloaded all drivers, but is still
seems well stuffed up.
Is there any other thing I can do to clear out all the invalid printer
setting,s and try and get my netwoprk back to what it was last Wednesday?
TIA
Lewej

"Lewej" wrote:

> Hi
> Thanks to both for the explanations.
> Cheers
> Lewej
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
> > Alan is absolutely correct and points to the issue: the _drivers_ must have
> > the exact same name. The problem is that there isn't a 1300 driver for x64
> > included in the default OS. If you have one from HP directly, you need to
> > point to that driver, not NTPrint.INF. Or, you need to use a compatible
> > driver that can be used across both platforms. Check ntprint.inf for each
> > platform and verify a driver you can use that is the same name. (you can
> > open ntprint.inf up with any pure ASCII text editor. Just be careful.)
> >
> > --
> > Charlie.
> > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel
> >

> > "Alan Morris [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >I do this once or twice a week. The driver names have to be the same for
> > >the x86 clients to install the x86 drivers installed on the x64 server.
> > >x64 printer servers are the best
> > >
> > > Follow the instructions
> > > http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/arc.../05/61685.aspx
> > >
> > > When adding cross arch drivers you need to point to the correct infs and
> > > files.
> > >
> > > Perform this operation first using some of the inbox drivers, then perform
> > > this using Vendor drivers.
> > >
> > > Point to the Vendor x64 inf for the printer, point to the x64 OS core
> > > drivers that the printer requires, point to the Vendor x64 driver files.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Alan Morris
> > > Windows Printing Team
> > > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

> > > rights.
> > >
> > > "Lewej" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Alan Morris [MSFT]

If you have a dump file of the spooler process failing we can attempt to
identify the print driver which fails

look for a *.dmp file around the time of the spooler failure. Load the file
using the ntsd debugger (I think this is in system32 on Server 2003, if not
copy it from an XP machine)

ntsd -z dumpfilename

type k after you get the prompt and look for the driver binary name on the
top of the stack trace. ntdll and kernel32 are not print driver files.

If the dump file does not exist look for a drwtsn32.log in the \windows
directory. Look for fault in the log file.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Lewej" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Well I managed to kill pritning for half a day here, and now it is working
> really inconsistently, which is causing a few words!!
> I have switched the x64 server off, and reloaded all drivers, but is still
> seems well stuffed up.
> Is there any other thing I can do to clear out all the invalid printer
> setting,s and try and get my netwoprk back to what it was last Wednesday?
> TIA
> Lewej
>
> "Lewej" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> Thanks to both for the explanations.
>> Cheers
>> Lewej
>>
>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>>
>> > Alan is absolutely correct and points to the issue: the _drivers_ must
>> > have
>> > the exact same name. The problem is that there isn't a 1300 driver for
>> > x64
>> > included in the default OS. If you have one from HP directly, you need
>> > point to that driver, not NTPrint.INF. Or, you need to use a compatible
>> > driver that can be used across both platforms. Check ntprint.inf for
>> > each
>> > platform and verify a driver you can use that is the same name. (you
>> > can
>> > open ntprint.inf up with any pure ASCII text editor. Just be careful.)
>> >
>> > --
>> > Charlie.
>> > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel
>> >

>> > "Alan Morris [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?TGV3ZWo=?=

Hi Alan
Thanks for the response - sounds very useful. I did get things going again,
but it took a while (reloaded all drivers and rebooted every device!)
Do you think I should update the schema on my x86 W2003 servers? The new x64
server will be doing some printing for our ERP. Could this have been part of
the problem?
Thanks again
Lewej.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> If you have a dump file of the spooler process failing we can attempt to
> identify the print driver which fails
>
> look for a *.dmp file around the time of the spooler failure. Load the file
> using the ntsd debugger (I think this is in system32 on Server 2003, if not
> copy it from an XP machine)
>
> ntsd -z dumpfilename
>
> type k after you get the prompt and look for the driver binary name on the
> top of the stack trace. ntdll and kernel32 are not print driver files.
>

> If the dump file does not exist look for a drwtsn32.log in the \windows
> directory. Look for fault in the log file.
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Lewej" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi
> > Well I managed to kill pritning for half a day here, and now it is working
> > really inconsistently, which is causing a few words!!
> > I have switched the x64 server off, and reloaded all drivers, but is still
> > seems well stuffed up.
> > Is there any other thing I can do to clear out all the invalid printer
> > setting,s and try and get my netwoprk back to what it was last Wednesday?
> > TIA
> > Lewej
> >
> > "Lewej" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >> Thanks to both for the explanations.
> >> Cheers

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Schema has no affect on printing. The R2 schema does allow one to deploy
printer connections to the desktop rather than having to browse the network
or know the print server name.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team